Author Topic: How to increase lower third height in djs?  (Read 1949 times)

LeFort 3000

How to increase lower third height in djs?
« on: June 10, 2021, 06:53:03 PM »
Is it possible to significantly increase vertical mandibular height without significantly increasing gum tissue show and/or philtrum length in double jaw surgery? My tooth show itself is (what I consider) perfect, but my lower facial third overall is too short. Is there a way around this while also maintaining a flat gonial angle? It seems like an attempt to square a circle, but what do I know...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 04:45:54 AM by LeFort 3000 »

LeFort 3000

Re: Increasing vertical mandibular height
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 04:45:09 AM »
Im bumping this, maybe someone can help.
Basically what it comes down to i guess, does posterior downgraft increase in any way he lower third height? If not, what double jaw surgery variant does actually increase lower third height? For example, is it possible during bsso to not put screw the mobilized part back in the same bone-to-bone vertical dimension, but put this part abit lower so this part of the mobilized bone is not in contact with the non-mobilized bone counterpart?
Or maybe is the same only possible in a "high bsso", like making a bigger cut and leaving parts of the ramus bone without counterpart contact if you know what i mean?
Maybe anything else?

Post bimax

• Private
Re: How to increase lower third height in djs?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 07:23:11 PM »
My bimax with ccw visually increased my lower 3rd height because the chin was brought more forward and the mandible is flatter

thedude

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 11:25:48 AM »
I feel like you’re overthinking it. Bringing the lower jaw forward more than the upper jaw or moving the chin forward or down will increase the perceived strength of the lower third of the face.

In general it seems like the best approach for jaw surgery is to get the placement of the upper jaw correct for ideal amount of tooth show, match the lower jaw for a good bite, and then adjust the chin as you please to fill out the lower third.

LeFort 3000

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 04:09:37 PM »
My bimax with ccw visually increased my lower 3rd height because the chin was brought more forward and the mandible is flatter
thanks, this sounds good. But to which extent it heightened, that i can only imagine. But atleast it seems to optically heigthen abit in djs without having to take extra steps.

I feel like you’re overthinking it. Bringing the lower jaw forward more than the upper jaw or moving the chin forward or down will increase the perceived strength of the lower third of the face.

In general it seems like the best approach for jaw surgery is to get the placement of the upper jaw correct for ideal amount of tooth show, match the lower jaw for a good bite, and then adjust the chin as you please to fill out the lower third.

right, but if there was a certain procedure or bimax cut to achieve an more optimal lower third height, i think it would be beneficial to know about it. Oftentimes surgeons kinda only tell you the "normal stuff" about jaw surgery and only if you ask them specifically they will tell you "oh sure, we can do that too.." etc