Author Topic: Overimpacted in my second double jaw surgery - one month from a UP downgraft  (Read 2299 times)

Greek21

Hi comrades,

Hope all is well....

I have undergone two double jaw surgeries and one month away from an upper jaw downgraft..(3rd cut to maxilla)

I'm absolutely terrified and quite depressed/angry that I have to go through all this.

On the one hand I know this horrible journey could potentially come to an  end... however I'm terrified about the maxilla being cut a third time.

My surgeon has done all the scans necessary and he told me everything should be okay.

What are some of the potential risks of cutting the maxilla a third time in the space of 2 years?

Thank you. 

kavan

• Global Moderator
Can't advise you on the surgical risks because I'm not a surgeon and risks are a matter of the surgeon having information about his own expertise and your unique situation. What I can tell you that experienced surgeons can and do go through the SAME CUT that was made prior and of course, they can also see your bone quality and prior cut in the scans to make a judgement call on the matter. I think it takes about a year for the bone cut to heal and the cut line gets strong enough to go through it again as long as they go through the same cut. Because you are nervous about this, my advice would be to just ASK the surgeon; 'Is my PRIOR bone CUT strong enough to cut through again?' It seems like the answer is 'yes' since he gave an OK. But it doesn't hurt to ask if this is something you are nervous about.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Greek21

Ive had a  few mixed messages hence the hesitation. Two surgeons advised me to wait a couple of more months and 2 others do it right away because the cut is fresh. The second revision was done in June (4 months ago). I did a Cbct and the latest surgeon I saw who was very honest told me it can be done in November. He also told me that braces have done quite some damage to the roots of my teeth and that I have to take them off in the next 4 months. The last surgeon is a professor in a university with a lot of accolades who I will not name and was recommend to me. He mentioned that he would bring the maxilla down 3-4mm and it would be a fairly easy operation for him and everything should go as expected.

All this above plus my frustration and my sadness has convinced me to want to do this next month however I fear that I'm acting on impulse and maybe wait a few more months.

I need to get this over and done with. It has destroyed the last 3 years of my life..

Are veneers a viable option? What more questions should I ask to be sure?

Just to be clear this operation is done for my teeth to be more visible as know they are half showing when smiling. My bite is perfectly fine.

kavan

• Global Moderator
no idea if veneers are an option for you.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
What went wrong with the prior surgeries?
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Greek21

Relapse and bad aesthetical result probably the worst in the history of time. Quite shocking

GJ

• Administrator
Relapse and bad aesthetical result probably the worst in the history of time. Quite shocking

Wow, sorry. And that happened both times? Was the second one a different surgeon?

I don't know of any added risks to cutting the maxilla a third time so long as the bone is in good condition. Something else that can add risk is if they plan to do a 3-piece lefort.
Millimeters are miles on the face.