Author Topic: Would DJS fix my double chin?  (Read 739 times)

kubabuk

Would DJS fix my double chin?
« on: September 18, 2021, 12:54:12 PM »
Hi,
I'm wondering whether you could help me figure out the causes of my double chin. I'm going to have DJS and double chin seems like a common thing for people with significant overbite, that's why I'm writing about it on this forum.
I was hoping that DJS would fix my double chin, but now I'm not so sure. My surgeon said that he would advance my mandible by 4-6mm (that was after looking at me briefly on my first visit; he did not make any precise plan yet). It seems like even jutting approximately this amount (or more) my double chin is still pretty bad.
My weight is healthy and I'm rather young (<30yo); you can see more of my photos in my first topic (check on my profile).
Could you tell me what the underlying problem could be? I'm considering liposuction, but maybe that's not the right approach? It seems like I could do the liposuction before the surgery (which I'd prefer) unlike something more complicated like platysmaplasty. Am I right on this?
Here are my photos (both with and without jutting the mandible forward):
https://imgur.com/a/uE8FuKC

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Would DJS fix my double chin?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 04:31:07 PM »
Just looking at you in the flesh, it seems your lower jaw is recessed relative to your upper jaw, so correcting this would require CCW movement of the complex. Your chin looks to have a deep labiomental groove, and I'd imagine that needs some type of HA or bone graft to fill that groove.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 05:19:02 PM »
Your lower jaw appears significantly recessed relative to your upper jaw. The lip alignment is way off too. Do you known if your surgeon is planning on the same movement for both jaws, and whether it is CCW or linear?

kubabuk

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 02:23:20 AM »
Thanks. It does seem to me that the advancement of the mandible could be too small, but my surgeon will make the plan only after the teeth are properly alligned with the orthodontics. I'll probably avoid CCW since my OP is pretty flat (check out the ceph in my first topic).
I'd rather do genio to smoothe out the labiomental groove, but maybe that would not be a good idea for some reason?
But what could be done about my double chin? Would it disappear after a properly big advancement?

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 07:38:33 AM »
I'd rather do genio to smoothe out the labiomental groove, but maybe that would not be a good idea for some reason?
But what could be done about my double chin? Would it disappear after a properly big advancement?

Double chin should disappear after a large advancement.

I'm not positive on whether the genio will fix the groove, but my guess is the entire cut would move and therefore it would all stay relatively proportional. So, I think it has to be filled in with something.
Millimeters are miles on the face.