Author Topic: Opinion on jaw surgery  (Read 1690 times)

Hopeless Incel

Opinion on jaw surgery
« on: August 13, 2021, 11:12:14 PM »
Hello
I had genioplasty 4 years back and revision surgery 3 years back. I'm happy with the chin. Earlier I had weak chin. My chin has been moved forward by about 11mm  Diagonally(horizontal and vertical advancement) chin has been maxed out. From the frontal view my face  looks kinda long. My jaw is narrow and genioplasty has left some irregularities like the chin which hasn't blended well with the jawline.So i thought of having jaw implants. But few people suggested me to have bimax as my jaws are recessed. If I've implants, then I can't have bimax. I've no functional issues. My bite is good. This is completely for aesthetic reasons. And yeah my lower lip is behind my upper lip and I feel that my lower jaw is recessed.Do I require bimax for aesthetic reasons? If yes, can you please provide me with some inputs .I have no idea about jaw surgery, rotation of jaws etc,
My Concerns
1.Irregularities in lower third
(chin didn't blend with the rest of the jaw line)
2.I feel My lower jaw is recessed
3..my jaw is narrow especially near the gonions
I've attached necessary pics and x rays

http://imgur.com/a/M44kcQq (morph)
http://imgur.com/a/y3uQD1v (ceph)
http://imgur.com/a/LvPzocZ (CT Scan After Genioplasty and  before revision)
http://imgur.com/a/Zrabg7o (profile view)

Post bimax

• Private
Re: Opinion on jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 11:14:24 AM »
You need to show some views from the front.  But honestly, I think you look fine.  The chin looks strong and you keep facial hair anyway which masks any blending issues with the jaw.  I don't see a big aesthetic benefit from JS here.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 11:42:56 AM »
Maybe it's me, but I'm having a hard time understanding the images.

Which image is your chin today as it sits on your face?
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 02:23:32 PM »
Well, you've already had done to the chin what would be considered a 'compensation' surgery for some recession to the lower jaw. That is to say IF you instead had had a bimax surgery, the BSSO could have brought the chin forward ( simply because the chin advances with the forward displacement of the lower jaw) and you would not have had to compensate for the lower jaw recession with the extent isolated chin work you got prior. So, at this stage of the game, IF you opted for bimax, they would probably have to UNDO what was done to the chin. So, if the bite is fine AND you are OK with your chin as it is now and ALSO if it's the narrowness from front view that you don't like, the most likely solution is custom jaw implants aimed to widen bigonial distance and perhaps also to 'drop down' the border of the posterior jaw.

As to suggestion of bimax surgery, that's would be good suggestion with a 'virgin' face as in BEFORE you got the chin surgery to COMPENSATE for lower jaw recession. But at this point in time, you would probably have to UNDO what was done to the chin just to have it. So, the conservative choice at THIS point in TIME would most likely be in favor of custom jaw implants aimed at blending in what was already done to the chin.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 09:31:17 PM »
To add onto what Kavan said, the BSSO is not going to have a noticeable impact on bigonial width. Sometimes BGW can change slightly depending on how the surgeon handles the ramus  but the amount is minimal. Your best bet for widening a narrow face is custom implants, or the sort of chin wing that cuts far up the mandible and has a lateral widening component to the displacements.

Hopeless Incel

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 02:52:45 PM »
Maybe it's me, but I'm having a hard time understanding the images.

Which image is your chin today as it sits on your face?
Sorry for the delayed response.
These are the very recent ones I could find
http://imgur.com/a/MVxYc4Z

Hopeless Incel

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 03:05:30 PM »
Well, you've already had done to the chin what would be considered a 'compensation' surgery for some recession to the lower jaw. That is to say IF you instead had had a bimax surgery, the BSSO could have brought the chin forward ( simply because the chin advances with the forward displacement of the lower jaw) and you would not have had to compensate for the lower jaw recession with the extent isolated chin work you got prior. So, at this stage of the game, IF you opted for bimax, they would probably have to UNDO what was done to the chin. So, if the bite is fine AND you are OK with your chin as it is now and ALSO if it's the narrowness from front view that you don't like, the most likely solution is custom jaw implants aimed to widen bigonial distance and perhaps also to 'drop down' the border of the posterior jaw.

As to suggestion of bimax surgery, that's would be good suggestion with a 'virgin' face as in BEFORE you got the chin surgery to COMPENSATE for lower jaw recession. But at this point in time, you would probably have to UNDO what was done to the chin just to have it. So, the conservative choice at THIS point in TIME would most likely be in favor of custom jaw implants aimed at blending in what was already done to the chin.
Thank you for the insight.are you sure that genio has to be undone for jaw surgery?I have no idea about this bimax and these jaw surgery terminology till one person from the other forum said that my jaws are recessed.do they look that recessed? Yes, I'm okay with my chin and jaw too except when viewing in few angles.i consulted a max Fac surgeon and he said jaw surgery is not required for few mm of advancement I'm expecting. He said "if you insist, you can have the surgery but I won't recommend that"

Hopeless Incel

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 03:07:22 PM »
You need to show some views from the front.  But honestly, I think you look fine.  The chin looks strong and you keep facial hair anyway which masks any blending issues with the jaw.  I don't see a big aesthetic benefit from JS here.
Hi there!
Thanks for responding
I've added few recent pics here

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 03:29:51 PM »
Hi there!
Thanks for responding

Ok, your mandible is more on the narrow side but not to an extreme degree. You have other positive features like a low facial width-to-height ratio, good hairline, and a strong chin due to the genio.

I don’t think double jaw surgery would really help you, and it would certainly require a revision of the genioplasty. IMO you should either leave it alone or get custom jaw implants with the goal of widening the BGW. However be cautious because jaw implants can result in a blockhead look depending on the case. Be sure to get some morphs if you go for that.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 05:26:34 PM »
Thank you for the insight.are you sure that genio has to be undone for jaw surgery?I have no idea about this bimax and these jaw surgery terminology till one person from the other forum said that my jaws are recessed.do they look that recessed? Yes, I'm okay with my chin and jaw too except when viewing in few angles.i consulted a max Fac surgeon and he said jaw surgery is not required for few mm of advancement I'm expecting. He said "if you insist, you can have the surgery but I won't recommend that"

Not absolutely sure (with 100% certainty) they would need to undo the chin which is why I said 'probably' veering to most likely simply because the chin most likely OVER COMPENSATED for the jaw recession. If it were not undone, then there would be very LITTLE benefit from the BSSO to advance lower jaw because then the chin would be advanced out TOO MUCH due to the prior over compensation.

Maxfax surgeon was correct. It would not be worth it to get the maxfax advancement AT THIS POINT IN TIME, due to the prior OVERCOMPENSATION to the chin (to give appearance that lower jaw was advanced). So, if they left the chin as is, it being left as it is now will LIMIT the amount of the jaw/s advancement. So, I don't suggest it either.

This resolves to DON'T BOTHER with BIMAX at this point. As post bimax said, it's not going to widen your bigonial distance as would a custom implant.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 07:36:32 AM »
This is a case of do nothing and go enjoy life.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

eastcoastian1

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 11:32:03 PM »
Dude, people get massive implants just to get where you are now. Leave it alone.

needadvancement

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
Hi there!
Thanks for responding

Do you have picture of you before the first SG? I'm curious to see how much your chin actually advanced.

Tomasjohn

• Private
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 03:22:25 PM »
I don't see a problem and i think the chin looks good in your face.
Just leave it and improve something else in your life  8)

Question: Do you experienced any issues with a step-off and why did you have a revision?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 10:56:17 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response.
These are the very recent ones I could find

what the hell is wrong with you? you look fine. you don't need anything.