Author Topic: Post-op how aligned should my teeth be?  (Read 1251 times)

sventory

Post-op how aligned should my teeth be?
« on: September 30, 2021, 12:34:48 PM »
Im 7 months post op. Ortho separated my teeth for a potential 3piece lefort because my surgeon wanted to keep options open. Ended up not needing it, just regular DJS. But now with post surgery corrections to remove the gaps from the SARPE positioning. My teeth do not align. My bite is good, but the teeth don't align and it feels unnatural when I close my mouth.

Is this normal? My ortho says it's fine and won't hurt anything, but it just feels unnatural and I can't chew as finely as I could before, so sometimes I have excessively large pieces of food stuck in my mouth. He says it might be difficult to get that alignment because my front teeth would have to come forward and outward and that may not look good cosmetically, but when I see all these before and after pictures on Doctor's site, the teeth are always aligned and not looking like mine.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 03:50:17 PM by sventory »

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Post-op how aligned should my teeth be?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 02:46:23 PM »
Sometimes, surgeon and ortho team have to tackle cases where both form and function will not be 'perfect'. Not all boxes of 'ideal'can be ticked in every case. Some will prioritize function where the trade-off can be not enough aesthetic gain. Others will prioritize FORM where the trade-off can be some 'off' bite alignment. So, that type of decision on part of surgical/ortho team is not 'abnormal'.

Your past photos show you had an EXTREMELY recessive lower jaw. So, if the ortho said your bite (probably meaning how the back molars meet) was fine  and also some COSMETIC GAINS could be LOST from angling out the front teeth area, the front teeth area might be a trade-off you might need to get used to.

Based on your past photos, I'm assuming you got significant cosmetic gains from the surgery.

Since you didn't post your whole profile perspective after the surgery, there's no way for anyone on here to share any aesthetic insight as to whether or not you would lose some cosmetic gains by having your front teeth angled forward. However, if you feel you would rather 'trade-in' some cosmetic gains (your ortho indicated could be lost) in X-change for better functional alignment of the front teeth, then you should let your ortho know that function is your priority.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

sventory

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 03:49:56 PM »
I see, but surely some more time on the braces could correct that misalignment? The ortho mentioned about pulling either the top or bottom forward (can't remember) and doing the opposite to the bottom or top. I can't see my completely back molars, but you can sorta see in the picture the mid molars or whatever they are called behind the canines are not aligned either.

Thank you for the perspective, it just makes me feel weird though because after surgery my teeth were aligned, but had the 3piece (accidently said SARPE before) gaps even though he decided to just use a 1 piece. Then closing the gaps messed stuff up. I wonder if they just didn't put the gaps in, everything would have been fine post op corrections. Everytime I close my mouth it doesn't feel right because it's not a smooth closure and it feels like my molars are barely touching. Chewing, I can't chew some stuff (especially veggies) as finely before and end up getting larger pieces of food stuck in my mouth.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 06:29:04 PM »
I see, but surely some more time on the braces could correct that misalignment? The ortho mentioned about pulling either the top or bottom forward (can't remember) and doing the opposite to the bottom or top. I can't see my completely back molars, but you can sorta see in the picture the mid molars or whatever they are called behind the canines are not aligned either.

Thank you for the perspective, it just makes me feel weird though because after surgery my teeth were aligned, but had the 3piece (accidently said SARPE before) gaps even though he decided to just use a 1 piece. Then closing the gaps messed stuff up. I wonder if they just didn't put the gaps in, everything would have been fine post op corrections. Everytime I close my mouth it doesn't feel right because it's not a smooth closure and it feels like my molars are barely touching. Chewing, I can't chew some stuff (especially veggies) as finely before and end up getting larger pieces of food stuck in my mouth.

Well, I can't make fine point ortho alignment differentiation to predict correction. My perspective (and I'll repeat it) is that you might have a trade-off that could come from their choosing to prioritize the aesthetic result in a situation where they could not get BOTH 'ideal'. You might have the option of prioritizing function over form if you're willing to 'trade in' the aesthetic gains in X-change for optimizing the bite. It is a discussion you can broach with your ortho. That is especially so given your ortho gave some indication the bite could be altered BUT that might not look good cosmetically.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 06:40:58 PM by kavan »
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 08:29:52 PM »
Based on your descriptions of chewing, it sounds like you have a mild posterior open bite. Do your back teeth touch or not?
Millimeters are miles on the face.