Author Topic: I'm Stuck - Advice Needed  (Read 6225 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: I'm Stuck - Advice Needed
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2021, 04:51:57 PM »
That's A-OK, but that patient's result aside, I'm simply asking whether a rhinoplasty could make my paranasal area fill out in a similar manner? I'm genuinely wondering. I just don't know how to edit that type of change in frontal appearance into a photo of my face, but I hope that you get what I mean by making the paranasal area "fill out" now.

I wouldn't expect you to and I appreciate your help so far. I'm not arguing with you. I KNOW that many people would say it's close. I wasn't implying that they're wrong--it's just subjective. But look at the STILL photo overlay I made below (photo attached). For reference, the measured thickness of my lower lip is about 13 mm. To my eye, that makes the difference at the pogonion point in my morph around 10 mm of SOFT TISSUE change. To me, that says that even though genioplasty could be described as close to this, there would still be a difference, as the maximum for a genioplasty would be 6 mm of BONY CHANGE for me if not less.

I don't know if you agree with me, but I don't see anything wrong with going for the marginally better option if I have the finances, time and patience for the extra aesthetic and functional benefits. That's why I'm trying to figure out how to deal with those questions about CCW and width/extractions.

In the ABSENCE of referring to someone ELSE'S outcome, I convey that a (good) rhino surgeon can perform surgery to the anterior nasal spine area to better support the base of the nose. Of course, selective alteration of the ANS with aim of better support to the base of the nose does not involve advancing the entire Lefort 1 area of the maxilla forward, nor is it a procedure aimed at filling out the paranasal areas.

Your problem here is that you are STUCK on requiring communication based on your morph which is absent of the type of rigor in presentation which is needed for the viewer (here a scientifically inclined one if communication is with me) to cross reference what ever measurements you have 'exacted' or approximated. From my POV, communicative morph presentations involve 2 sets of SIDE BY SIDE presentations (present vs. desired goal). First set= 'mute' morphs which only show the visual changes. Second set shows RELATIVE LINES through landmarks which direct the viewers eye towards the displacements made. As to approximating mm measures of displacements, there needs to be reference on the diagrammed set as to the SCALE of the photo based on 'real life' measures of the distance between 2 distinct landmarks of the face in which lines are drawn between those 2 landmarks. For example, if you took a caliper to measure the distance between the ROOT of the nose and the BASE of the nose and found that distance was 'X'mm, then 'X' would substantiate other measures on the morph photo as to scale given that photos can appear as different sizes on different computer screens. Hence 'X' could be used for SCALE. So, the diagrammed morph would need to show the landmark lines passing through the point known as ROOT of nose to the point known as BASE of nose where the 'real life' distance of 'X' was noted on the diagrammed morph. In that way, 'X' can be used to adjust for the scale of the photo and also to substantiate other measures of displacement distances. Now, such a presentation is not hard to do. But it does resolve to a venue of a straight forward type of geometric proof to demonstrate to the viewer that what ever measures you approximated or 'exacted' are reliable.

NONE THE LESS, not even a more rigorous demonstration as stated above would duplicate the type of predicted outcome that specialized surgery design programs can do. In fact specialized surgery design (morph) programs (and the surgeons who use them) can come out SHORT of the desired soft tissue projection of the pogonian point as in short of the projected outcome you've defined for yourself (10mm) via your morph request. That's simply because desired soft tissue projection (here at pog point) is only PART of a complex MULTI-FACTORIAL EQUATION where other points, angles and planes need to be taken into consideration. Consider DISBANDING using your morph as a primary means of communication and consider INSTEAD having the doctors propose a plan for you (a VISUAL one that you can look at) and later compare to your own morph goal.

So, here, you've made what I call a 'mute' morph that resolves to EYEBALLING it where I see it as coming close to the look of a rhino and chin advancement. As to your 10mm figure, I'll accept that based on your word for it, like in the absence of my confirming or denying it's on the money. I also remind you that at NO TIME did I convey or imply to convey that the genio proposed to you by Gunson would replicate your morph. I told you that it would IMPROVE your profile; bring your chin CLOSER to the the TVL. So MOOT point (not to be confused with 'mute' morph) to point out that your 10mm measure is more than 6mm genio Gunson suggested. Although I don't deny that approx 10 mm advance to pog point would look better than a 6mm advance (based on your morph and your assessment of 10mm), I can't confirm that 10mm advance at pog point is going to be part of the MULTI-FACTORIAL equation (algorithm) where all the points, angles and planes, occlusion etc. play a role regarding where one can set the pog point WITHOUT OTHER things being shifted out of balance and function. Also, from my POV, (in your case) having to extract teeth to push the front of the face backwards, just so they can later push it forwards in a bimax surgery isn't the best reason to pursue bimax surgery for aesthetics. Instead, it's something to do if FUNCTION was the main issue and you were willing to accept FORM as playing second fiddle to that.

If improvement via Gunson's suggested genio is not enough for you, than there really isn't much to 'figure out' here because the preponderance of communication you got from the experts is that bimax surgery will involve 4 EXTRACTIONS and quite possibly some maxillary expansion to compensate for some 'shrinkage' that could arise from the extractions. Just don't expect that option to be on target with your morph goal, especially so if no doctor promised you such duplication.

As to CCW, CCW around the ANS will leave the ANS where it is but 'buck out' the incisors and PUSH the soft tissue of the lip FORWARDS. CCW around the incisor point won't move the incisors but will bring the ANS BACKWARDS. The former is on target for a patient who would benefit by the soft tissue of the lip being projected more forwards. The latter is on target for a patient who would benefit from having the ANS pushed BACKWARDS . So, I'll leave it up to you to cross reference those relationships for a person NOT needing their upper lip to move more forward and NOT needing their ANS to go more BACKWARDS.

As for self generated morphs, they are of LIMITED use as to 'talking turkey' with a surgeon. The main exception to that is when they look at them and tell you something like; 'That's quite like what I had in mind for you.' But that didn't happen here.

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Breakingbad

• Private
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2021, 10:48:55 PM »
Kavan, thank you very much for putting this explanation together. I have gone over it very carefully. Your explanation is exactly of the type that I feel can help me make useful conclusions and further my understanding. I make every effort to keep up with other members here and communicate in a way that is conducive to productive discussion. Your advice with respect to communication is well noted.

I'd like to ask you a number of questions to help me fully understand and appreciate what you've said. I will try to ask only a few questions for now.

From my POV, communicative morph presentations involve 2 sets of SIDE BY SIDE presentations (present vs. desired goal). First set= 'mute' morphs which only show the visual changes. Second set shows RELATIVE LINES through landmarks which direct the viewers eye towards the displacements made. As to approximating mm measures of displacements, there needs to be reference on the diagrammed set as to the SCALE of the photo based on 'real life' measures of the distance between 2 distinct landmarks of the face in which lines are drawn between those 2 landmarks. For example, if you took a caliper to measure the distance between the ROOT of the nose and the BASE of the nose and found that distance was 'X'mm, then 'X' would substantiate other measures on the morph photo as to scale given that photos can appear as different sizes on different computer screens. Hence 'X' could be used for SCALE.

Firstly, although I'm not sure that they are of use at this moment in time, could you please confirm whether the attached photos, which I've tried to make to your instructions, better facilitate communication? Note that I do recognize your point regarding the limited utility of these photos when communicating with surgeons. Also note that for the scaling reference, I measured my lip with a caliper, and got a measurement of 16mm. My earlier measurement of 13mm (measured by ruler) was incorrect. I know you suggested I measure from the root of my nose to the base, but I thought I would be able to pull this off with my lip with a lower error considering my inexperience.

Also, from my POV, (in your case) having to extract teeth to push the front of the face backwards, just so they can later push it forwards in a bimax surgery isn't the best reason to pursue bimax surgery for aesthetics. Instead, it's something to do if FUNCTION was the main issue and you were willing to accept FORM as playing second fiddle to that.

I highly value your POV, so I'm wondering what it is about my case that makes doing this a negative for aesthetics? I ask because I have seen many academic articles where extractions followed by bimax surgery are used as treatment for BIMAXILLARY PROTRUSION to excellent aesthetic effect. I have been diagnosed with bimaxillary protrusion by several experts, including Dr. Rebecca Bockow.

I convey that a (good) rhino surgeon can perform surgery to the anterior nasal spine area to better support the base of the nose. Of course, selective alteration of the ANS with aim of better support to the base of the nose does not involve advancing the entire Lefort 1 area of the maxilla forward, nor is it a procedure aimed at filling out the paranasal areas.

Could you please, if you are able to with the pictures/xrays provided, comment on whether it seems like I am missing ONLY support of the base of the nose, or in the wider Lefort 1/paranasal area? I realize that fixing a lack of support in the wider paranasal/Lefort 1 area may not be a walk in the park, but I'm trying to get an understanding of the problem as a first step.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 11:02:45 PM by Breakingbad »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2021, 11:31:39 PM »
You can use your 16mm scale to estimate the distance the pog point is advanced in the morph.

IMO, bimax protrusion is better treated via anterior segmental osteotomies (often done in Korea) because the maintain the outward inclination of the teeth so that lip stays on a diagonal incline whereas retroclining the teeth in a push back can make nose to lip angle more obtuse which has the effect of the the upper lip looking visually longer via aligning it vertically.

You're the one who would have to demonstrate any paranasal problem.

Breakingbad

• Private
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2021, 11:53:20 PM »
You can use your 16mm scale to estimate the distance the pog point is advanced in the morph.

I'm getting 10.7 mm using an online tool.

retroclining the teeth in a push back can make nose to lip angle more obtuse which has the effect of the the upper lip looking visually longer via aligning it vertically.

Is this why you said the following?
"(in your case) having to extract teeth to push the front of the face backwards, just so they can later push it forwards in a bimax surgery isn't the best reason to pursue bimax surgery for aesthetics. Instead, it's something to do if FUNCTION was the main issue and you were willing to accept FORM as playing second fiddle to that."

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2021, 12:00:59 AM »
if you think that's the best reason, than go with it.

Breakingbad

• Private
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2021, 12:15:23 AM »
if you think that's the best reason, than go with it.

I don't think we're understanding each other.

When you said:

"instead, it's something to do if FUNCTION was the main issue and you were willing to accept FORM as playing second fiddle to that,"

it seemed to me that you were saying that extracting teeth, retracting, and then doing jaw surgery to bring everything forward, would bring NEGATIVE aesthetic effects, and that there's no benefit to doing it for aesthetics in my case, hence it only makes sense if I'm forced to for functional reasons.

Isn't that what you were saying? If yes, I'm just asking why you think it would worsen my appearance. I'm not doubting you, just trying to understand why you said what you said.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2021, 02:42:31 PM »
I don't think we're understanding each other.

When you said:

"instead, it's something to do if FUNCTION was the main issue and you were willing to accept FORM as playing second fiddle to that,"

it seemed to me that you were saying that extracting teeth, retracting, and then doing jaw surgery to bring everything forward, would bring NEGATIVE aesthetic effects, and that there's no benefit to doing it for aesthetics in my case, hence it only makes sense if I'm forced to for functional reasons.

Isn't that what you were saying? If yes, I'm just asking why you think it would worsen my appearance. I'm not doubting you, just trying to understand why you said what you said.

Yes. But in reference to just pulling the teeth and pushing them backwards to RETROCLINE; what they offered you.
Sub apical osteos differ (and are more complex) but for most part they maintain the angulation of the teeth. For example for the maxilla, a cross section of bone is removed with the pre-molars. From there, when they move the free segment of frontal maxilla backwards, the front teeth maintain their angulation which is basically what supports the lip so it's not on vertical plane.
SAO's can be done to the lower jaw area too. So, SAO's can basically maintain the angulation of the front teeth and hence the angulation of the UPPER LIP and of course, also DECREASE the 'stick out' prominence of the lips. Asian countries, especially Korea, commonly do that type of surgery but for the most part, US doctors don't. They do what was offered to you which is something that most likely involves either retroclining your teeth or aligning with the vertical. Like HOW could it NOT be?

So, that is the difference. SAOs are something you could look into if you needed more info. I'm just telling you a type of surgery exists that yes, 'pushes back' the teeth BUT in a different way. Now after an SAO or even during, I think they have the option of then bring the jaws forward. The option arises because the SAO addresses the bimax protrusion. When bimax protrusion is addressed by the SAO, the patient basically keeps his outward angulation of the teeth and when they bring forward with the bimax, it's a situation where the patient no longer has the bimax protrusion to preclude double jaw advancement.

So, what I said was in reference to what the doctors are offering; removing the premolars so they can push back the teeth, which is to either retrocline them or align with a vertical. So, when they push back outward in bimax surgery, your philtral area could look longer (because the nose to lip angle will most likely increase). Now that is not a prediction for you personally, I'm just telling you how things work. Soft tissue of the lip when aligned on a VERTICAL plane can cast vertical and look longer. Soft tissue of lip aligned on a diagonal plane can cast diagonal and look shorter. I can't explain that any further because it is one of those things that has to do with basic geometrical principles to be able to identify with and also a little perspective in artistic concepts.

But ALAS!  Maybe you don't need to even fret about the SAO option. That would be great providing you were poised to accept the possibility of your upper lip looking LONGER in frontal view and/or your nose to lip angle increasing. That is to say, if you actually didn't like your short philtral area and wanted a longer looking philtrum (most people don't), extractions with the BRACES pushing the teeth backwards has a good potential of making the upper lip look longer. It won't physically increase it's length. It does so VISUALLY by changing the angle of inclination the soft tissue of the lip is supported on.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2021, 04:06:12 PM »
I'm getting 10.7 mm using an online tool.

I got close to that; 10.64... with no online tool---only grammar school math, my physical transparent ruler and a calculator.

Now, before we go any further, I would like you to tell me HOW I did that with no online tool. Like what STEPS did I go through. It doesn't matter if you come up with a different figure than me because we are talking in the range of 10mm. I'm wanting to know how YOU would figure this out with NO online tool, only grammar school math, a transparent ruler and a calculator. Tell me the steps you would take.

Breakingbad

• Private
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2021, 07:46:31 PM »
I got close to that; 10.64... with no online tool---only grammar school math, my physical transparent ruler and a calculator.

Now, before we go any further, I would like you to tell me HOW I did that with no online tool. Like what STEPS did I go through. It doesn't matter if you come up with a different figure than me because we are talking in the range of 10mm. I'm wanting to know how YOU would figure this out with NO online tool, only grammar school math, a transparent ruler and a calculator. Tell me the steps you would take.

Here are the steps I would take to do that:

First, get a print out of the photo set with the 16mm reference on it OR open it up on a non-touch screen device so that it doesn't zoom in or out while I'm measuring.

Then, with that photo set:

Step 1: Using a transparent ruler, measure the 16 mm reference line and note down its physical length. With the size of the photo I printed, I got approximately 6.5 mm. Thus, the conversion factor from the lengths measured with my ruler to 'real life numbers' is 16/6.5

Step 2: Measure the distance of the pogonion point to the vertical line passing through the base of my nose in the unedited BEFORE photo. I got right around 6 mm.

Step 3: Measure the distance of the pogonion point to the vertical line passing through the base of my nose in the AFTER (morphed) photo. I got approximately 1.7 mm.

Step 4: Subtract the number obtained in 'Step 3' from that of 'Step 2,' as follows

6 mm - 1.7 mm = 4.3 mm

Step 5: Use the conversion factor obtained in 'Step 1' to convert the measurement obtained in 'Step 4' to 'real life numbers,' as follows

4.3 mm x (16/6.5) = ~10.58 mm

Do I pass? Canadian public education isn't what it used to be.

Edit: I incorrectly referred to the “base of the nose” as  the “root of the nose.” Thanks Kavan for point this out.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 11:02:13 PM by Breakingbad »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2021, 08:28:32 PM »
Here are the steps I would take to do that:

First, get a print out of the photo set with the 16mm reference on it OR open it up on a non-touch screen device so that it doesn't zoom in or out while I'm measuring.

Then, with that photo set:

Step 1: Using a transparent ruler, measure the 16 mm reference line and note down its physical length. With the size of the photo I printed, I got approximately 6.5 mm. Thus, the conversion factor from the lengths measured with my ruler to 'real life numbers' is 16/6.5

Step 2: Measure the distance of the pogonion point to the vertical line passing through the root of my nose in the unedited BEFORE photo. I got right around 6 mm.

Step 3: Measure the distance of the pogonion point to the vertical line passing through the root of my nose in the AFTER (morphed) photo. I got approximately 1.7 mm.

Step 4: Subtract the number obtained in 'Step 3' from that of 'Step 2,' as follows

6 mm - 1.7 mm = 4.3 mm

Step 5: Use the conversion factor obtained in 'Step 1' to convert the measurement obtained in 'Step 4' to 'real life numbers,' as follows

4.3 mm x (16/6.5) = ~10.58 mm

Do I pass? Canadian public education isn't what it used to be.

YES. You passed!

Here's how I did it:

What I did was establish the SCALE factor (conversion factor as you say): Your 16mm measured about 10.5mm on my ruler. So, the scale was about 1.52 (rounded down). I can hold it directly up to my screen without the screen changing.

BEFORE photo: I used my ruler to measure the distance from pog point to the TVL. It was 10mm.

MORPH: I used my ruler to measure the distance from pog point to TVL on morph. It was 3mm.

Difference was 7mm. I multiplied that by the SCALE I established (1.52)=10.64

ETA: There's just one thing and it really doesn't matter. But the TVL runs through the base of the nose (nose to lip junction). the root of the nose is in vicinity of the glabella but below it. root of nose is basically 'top' of the nose. but perfectly logical to think the bottom of it would be called the root. You can use just about anything on the face that you can actually measure as reference measures for the scale.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 08:44:05 PM by kavan »

Breakingbad

• Private
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2021, 10:54:58 PM »
YES. You passed!

That’s a relief! The online tool works okay but I can see how this method would be more useful in many cases.

ETA: There's just one thing and it really doesn't matter. But the TVL runs through the base of the nose (nose to lip junction). the root of the nose is in vicinity of the glabella but below it. root of nose is basically 'top' of the nose. but perfectly logical to think the bottom of it would be called the root. You can use just about anything on the face that you can actually measure as reference measures for the scale.

Yes, thank you for pointing that out. I tried to find a diagram of all these landmarks before posting but got it all mixed up in my head somehow. I’ll try to remember that.

I can't explain that any further because it is one of those things that has to do with basic geometrical principles to be able to identify with and also a little perspective in artistic concepts.

I follow you perfectly. I was not aware that retracting the teeth with braces could visually lengthen the philtrum—that’s significant, as Gunson measured mine and mentioned to me that it was on the long side as it is. I did some SERIOUS reading on this procedure (SAO) back when you posted some information about it some months ago on this forum, but I didn’t know how and if it could be fit into my treatment plan, or whether that would be of any utility.

Do you think, then, that considering I AM concerned about the philtrum, that if I did the SAO, and then had double jaw surgery with the RIGHT surgeon and surgical plan, that the result would probably be better than what a genioplasty could achieve?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2021, 11:40:21 PM »
That’s a relief! The online tool works okay but I can see how this method would be more useful in many cases.

Yes, thank you for pointing that out. I tried to find a diagram of all these landmarks before posting but got it all mixed up in my head somehow. I’ll try to remember that.

I follow you perfectly. I was not aware that retracting the teeth with braces could visually lengthen the philtrum—that’s significant, as Gunson measured mine and mentioned to me that it was on the long side as it is. I did some SERIOUS reading on this procedure (SAO) back when you posted some information about it some months ago on this forum, but I didn’t know how and if it could be fit into my treatment plan, or whether that would be of any utility.

Do you think, then, that considering I AM concerned about the philtrum, that if I did the SAO, and then had double jaw surgery with the RIGHT surgeon and surgical plan, that the result would probably be better than what a genioplasty could achieve?

The method is one where we use the 'tools' in our head.

SAO is mostly done in Asian places as bimax protrusion very common there. I don't think Gunson does it. If he said your philtrum was on the long side as it is, makes sense that he was getting at avoiding the bimax because it involved setting the philral area on a more vertical plane.

Well, I think it would be better than using braces to retract the teeth on a retroclined or vertical plane as far as getting a surgery involving extractions. The genio would IMPROVE. But now that you have a good idea that your morph measure was close to 10 mm and the genio would be 6, it comes out 4mm short of 10mm. Seems like lower risk and time and trouble (to me) relative to SAO or retroclining with braces. A modest chin implant is about 4mm which could be a later add on.

By the way, when Gunson tells you he wishes you had a steep occlusal plane, he's looking at the occlusal plane and seeing it's in approx the 7 degree range which is basically on the LOW side of OP ranges.  When people on here say you are 'clear cut' for CCW, they could be looking at the mandibular plane as closer to the high side of MPA ranges. So CCW would just give you an even LOWER OP and a 7 deg rotation would give you 0. Maybe that's what he was talking about when he mentioned something called a 'reverse smile'? It's not as if you need your present MPA reduced either. So, if you got CCW, I don't think it could be as significant as to project out the chin point as would be the case of someone with a high OP and also a high MPA.

Breakingbad

• Private
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2021, 12:35:47 AM »
Seems like lower risk and time and trouble (to me) relative to SAO or retroclining with braces.

You know, I do recognize your points and I appreciate you reminding me of that. It is a lot more trouble and risk, and many would probably consider it not worth it. But I've been weighing this for years and have been firmly resolved to doing jaw surgery for a long time. I'm still heavily leaning towards jaw surgery, and that's because:

-I truly want the greater functional benefits that jaw surgery can bring.

-6 mm would be bony displacement which doesn't equal soft tissue displacement as you know. My 10 mm is 10 mm of soft tissue displacement.

-Even 6 mm of bony displacement seems like too much for the genioplasty-Walline and Alfaro both told me that genioplasties look best when they're less than 4 mm max.

-Looking at surgery results for many years, I don't think I've ever seen a genioplasty result improve a face similar to MY face to a satisfactory extent.

-Comparing genioplasty to jaw surgery results, genioplasty results seem to be SUBTLY unnatural looking far more often where the person started off with a face like mine. Don't get me started on chin implants.

I won't go on but there are more reasons...

I know this isn't a choice that everyone would make, but it seems like the right one for me. Prof. Raffaini told me to "listen to my soul" when making a choice between a simpler and a more tedious treatment plan and I think that's what I need to do.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 01:17:11 AM by Breakingbad »

Breakingbad

• Private
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2021, 12:53:28 AM »
By the way, when Gunson tells you he wishes you had a steep occlusal plane, he's looking at the occlusal plane and seeing it's in approx the 7 degree range which is basically on the LOW side of OP ranges.  When people on here say you are 'clear cut' for CCW, they could be looking at the mandibular plane as closer to the high side of MPA ranges. So CCW would just give you an even LOWER OP and a 7 deg rotation would give you 0. Maybe that's what he was talking about when he mentioned something called a 'reverse smile'? It's not as if you need your present MPA reduced either. So, if you got CCW, I don't think it could be as significant as to project out the chin point as would be the case of someone with a high OP and also a high MPA.

Would you be able to give me an idea of how many degrees I could be CCW rotated before aesthetics start to be negatively affected by the low angle? I'm just asking about the occlusal plane and smile aesthetics here, ignoring the other factors for a moment like protrusion and whatnot. I just want to try to calculate how many mm approximately I could gain at the pog point purely from the ROTATION COMPONENT of bimax surgery.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 01:18:36 AM by Breakingbad »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2021, 09:12:23 AM »
You know, I do recognize your points and I appreciate you reminding me of that. It is a lot more trouble and risk, and many would probably consider it not worth it. But I've been weighing this for years and have been firmly resolved to doing jaw surgery for a long time. I'm still heavily leaning towards jaw surgery, and that's because:

-I truly want the greater functional benefits that jaw surgery can bring.

-6 mm would be bony displacement which doesn't equal soft tissue displacement as you know. My 10 mm is 10 mm of soft tissue displacement.

-Even 6 mm of bony displacement seems like too much for the genioplasty-Walline and Alfaro both told me that genioplasties look best when they're less than 4 mm max.

-Looking at surgery results for many years, I don't think I've ever seen a genioplasty result improve a face similar to MY face to a satisfactory extent.

-Comparing genioplasty to jaw surgery results, genioplasty results seem to be SUBTLY unnatural looking far more often where the person started off with a face like mine. Don't get me started on chin implants.

I won't go on but there are more reasons...

I know this isn't a choice that everyone would make, but it seems like the right one for me. Prof. Raffaini told me to "listen to my soul" when making a choice between a simpler and a more tedious treatment plan and I think that's what I need to do.

I don't know where the ratio of bone movement to soft tissue projection came from; the one that I hear almost echoed here where for every Xmm of bone projection there is Y mm of soft tissue projection where for every 2-3mm of bone projection there is 1mm of soft tissue--something like that. I FORGOT what that ratio was BECAUSE I DISREGARDED it. No idea how reliable that is for each person to apply to themselves. So, if you're operating on that factor, no way for me to validate it for you in any prediction of how many 'exact' mm you personally need.

All those doctors agree that genios look best when they are in 4mm range or less. THAT'S because they are able to bring out the pog point via a significant ccw-r and don't have to rely on the genio. To the best of my knowledge, they would not have to give the patient a 0 to NEGATIVE value for the OP to do that because in many situations the ideal patient for a significant ccw-r (posterior downgraft) is one with a STEEP OP, one with a steeper one than you have.

Sure, if one compares genio results to jaw surgery results, the jaw surgery results would look better, especially so if the person STARTED OFF as a good candidate for the jaw surgery instead. But you need to work with some of the limitations that ideal candidates for the type of significant CCW-r didn't start out with such as the bimax protrusion and an OP that's not on the steep side.

Sounds like you have resolved NOT to elect for the genio alone which was my (and Gunson's) suggestion. Not that I expect people to follow my advice but TBH, I'm hard pressed to advocate, coach, figure out details etc when someone really wants the thing I'm not suggesting. But of course, have no issues when the doctors on target with what you want figure those things out for you.

I have no issue with Raffaini telling you to 'go with your soul'. But that's something one does WITHOUT needing someone else to figure out (other than the surgeon himself) all the details their soul impels them to do