Author Topic: How do you avoid chimp lip in MMA advancement like this?  (Read 2909 times)

downwardgrowth

How do you avoid chimp lip in MMA advancement like this?
« on: December 10, 2021, 05:48:46 PM »
I have a similar profile to this guy, so I want to avoid getting over advanced chimp lip like he got. He looks very good from the front, but from the side? Not so much, before or after. He just exchanged recessed upper jaw for chimp lip.

This is what I've been recommended: maxillary impaciton, with 3-5 mm of advancement, clockwise rotation, and genioplast with BSSO to center.

I want to avoid looking like this after surgery.

How do you avoid this chimp lip?

Red shirt: before. Green shirt: after

downwardgrowth

Re: How do you avoid chimp lip in MMA advancement like this?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 05:49:47 PM »
2 more attachments for side before after so you see chimpishness

TWGOAT

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 08:20:35 PM »
that's not chimp lip, and he's only 10 weeks post op, still has swelling overall, guy looks awesome lol

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 06:27:27 AM »
The CW rotation is what would cause it in your case. What amount do they plan to do?

And yeah, that guy looks great now, so if you find that result disappointing you probably shouldn't pursue jaw surgery.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

downwardgrowth

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 09:19:02 AM »
The CW rotation is what would cause it in your case. What amount do they plan to do?

And yeah, that guy looks great now, so if you find that result disappointing you probably shouldn't pursue jaw surgery.

im pretty sure they plan to do just 3-4 mm advancement + impaction + CW rotation in lefort one area, and not even advance or just slightly advance lower third, but center and rotate it, as well as giving genio

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 11:19:29 AM »
That's generally around the cut off where this usually happens. Probably will be okay.

downwardgrowth

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 11:58:29 AM »
That's generally around the cut off where this usually happens. Probably will be okay.

thank goodness. Can I dm you a picture with my starting position just to get your input?

It's perfectly fine if you don't want to of course

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 11:59:21 AM »
thank goodness. Can I dm you a picture with my starting position just to get your input?

It's perfectly fine if you don't want to of course

Yeah I guess. I don't have a lot of time, but I can give it a quick look.

IconVillage

• Private
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 10:29:24 PM »
His nose looks ridiculous, wouldn't say this is a great result but it is the end product of a big maxillary advancement without accounting for the impact on the nasal base. Alar cinch should have probably been utilized.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2021, 07:40:28 AM »
His nose looks ridiculous, wouldn't say this is a great result but it is the end product of a big maxillary advancement without accounting for the impact on the nasal base. Alar cinch should have probably been utilized.

Good point. I didn't look at the frontal shot because I was looking for chip lip, which is more visible in a profile shot.

Breakingbad

• Private
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2021, 04:36:45 PM »
In my opinion, the nose bridge says it all.

You can see in the before picture that he had a very slight bump at his nose bridge, i.e. the bony part of his nose.

His face would be much more harmonious if his maxilla were advanced to the point that the lower part of his nose (the non-bony part) went forward just enough to create a straight nose profile—in other words, just enough to bring it into line with the upper, bony half of the nose and eliminate the slight bump at the bridge.

Instead, they advanced it to the point where the lower part of his nose went so far forward with respect to the upper part, that his nasal profile now looks scooped out.

I’m not an expert, but this is just an observation I’ve made that seems to have stood up with time after looking at many jaw surgery results. This appears to be related to ‘anatomical correctness’. Anatomically correct looks right. Anatomically incorrect looks ‘off.’

Perhaps someone with more knowledge could comment on the validity of this theory?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 05:11:25 PM by Breakingbad »

Tomasjohn

• Private
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 08:14:49 AM »
In my opinion, the nose bridge says it all.

You can see in the before picture that he had a very slight bump at his nose bridge, i.e. the bony part of his nose.

EDIT: The bump is actually to small for me to really See sorry

His face would be much more harmonious if his maxilla were advanced to the point that the lower part of his nose (the non-bony part) went forward just enough to create a straight nose profile—in other words, just enough to bring it into line with the upper, bony half of the nose and eliminate the slight bump at the bridge.

Instead, they advanced it to the point where the lower part of his nose went so far forward with respect to the upper part, that his nasal profile now looks scooped out.

I’m not an expert, but this is just an observation I’ve made that seems to have stood up with time after looking at many jaw surgery results. This appears to be related to ‘anatomical correctness’. Anatomically correct looks right. Anatomically incorrect looks ‘off.’

Perhaps someone with more knowledge could comment on the validity of this theory?

In this particular case i think the  EXTREMLY TINY bump is still there and is caused by the bony part itself.

EDIT: The bump is so small i am not sure if it even is a bump. So just ignore my comment.

LeFort 3000

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 10:18:18 AM »
this isnt chimp limp, this is heavy overadvancement on a recessed orbital area. the result is ridiculous. it looks great on itself (the jaw area) but not in relation to the upper part of the skull. still i would always say better to be overadvanced than underadvanced

thedude

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 09:48:37 PM »
Does anyone know who did this surgery? I’d be curious to see what he looks like smiling.

I actually like the result. I think it’s a reasonable trade off for not having sleep apnea. I think the chimp lip fear is a little overblown. It just doesn’t look that bad to me.

If there is anything I don’t like about this surgery it’s that the lower third is less prominent after advancing the upper jaw so much so he looks a little less masculine. I feel like he looks a little better when you lengthen his chin a little to restore his original proportions.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 10:18:54 PM by thedude »

downwardgrowth

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 08:15:53 AM »
Does anyone know who did this surgery? I’d be curious to see what he looks like smiling.

I actually like the result. I think it’s a reasonable trade off for not having sleep apnea. I think the chimp lip fear is a little overblown. It just doesn’t look that bad to me.

If there is anything I don’t like about this surgery it’s that the lower third is less prominent after advancing the upper jaw so much so he looks a little less masculine. I feel like he looks a little better when you lengthen his chin a little to restore his original proportions.

he looks so overprojected, and look at how upturned his nose is. His lower jaw is advanced too far past his upper jaw