Author Topic: Earl's guide to Facial Implants  (Read 41089 times)

x

• Private
Re: Earl's guide to Facial Implants
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2013, 02:06:38 PM »
If US surgeon (who imo are way ahead in every imaginable field) aren't doing/offering these procedures you can bet your ass that there is a good reason behind it.

also if your "starting point" isn't compatible with these supposedly ideal angles/facial contours that you want it's better to leave it alone.

A&G were able to achieve the look that you guys are talking about with this female patient by using HA paste but is it going to last forever? no one knows...

It doesn't even look that good, just like every other artificial recreation of an aesthetic ideal...

I just want to maintain my current (mediocre) taper. Lazlo wants a face transplant

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2013, 02:12:08 PM »
for chrissakes Euphoria it's no wonder you have social anxiety and narcissistic personality disorder. you're unbelievably touchy and take everything so personally. you really just should not participate in this discussion because you just make everything so personal. thanks pekay for actually providing some information.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »
THOSE EYES DOE lol
Pekay,
IME the reason why US docs are afraid to try new things is because not enough research on it/ not enough experiences performing said technique/too complicated. Which are not bad reasons.. Anyway idk where you found that case, do you know exactly what she had done?

bracesundcurap you've really, seriously got to read the threads on this forum, her case and others have been discussed extensively already. anyway go to arnett gunson's facial reconstruction website where her procedures are listed: they include bimax, and ha paste as well as hylauronic acid injections (a temp. filler to her orbital rim area) --so she's a unique case. but seriously, you've got to read through these threads some more.

geijutsu

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2013, 03:14:44 PM »
Now guys, there's no need to argue and attenuate the purpose of this discussion.

Lots of cool stuff mentioned here though, I'm currently lying in my bed and typing this on my iphone (1am over here) and there's no way in hell that I'll be writing a detailed post while I'm on my iphone, so I'll try to reply to you guy tomorrow.

falcao

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2013, 02:21:04 AM »
@ lazlo
Thanks very much for that information, it was useful. Especially about the case that had asymmetry as a result of HA augmentation in the jaw angles. Too bad he didn't post afterwards for us to see if that may have had to do with residual swelling. Or was it long after the surgery? I have to look him up.

I am also a very busy individual and do not find it easy to post often here or even read posts regularly. Most of the time I don't have anything useful to add though.

Yes, I will have the surgery with Mommaerts. I did have several consults in the past year, and explored the options for implants as well. I talked to maxilofacial as well as cosmetic surgeons to understand the pros and cons of different approaches. I have been recommended various options by various surgeons - surgeon will often recommend whatever they know and whatever they are comfortable with - not necessarily what's best for you. It's imperfect world, so we have to do our own research. The hardest decision for me was deciding between bi-max and single jaw surgery, but that's another topic.

I'm aware of some unhappy Mommaerts patients and I have exchanged emails with one of them. He seemed legitimate and it appeared in his case that Mommaerts made some misjudgments. I have not seen any pics though. I have also seen another M's patient's pictures here - he had a bi-max surgery. When I saw the pictures I was very disappointed with his sub-optimal result. What scares me is that there aren't really any posts about him from happy patients (apart from one I found on lyb), and the few that have posted are not happy with the results. Scary s**t!!!

The lesson for me is not to take at face value anything a surgeon says but to use what you know and what your surgeon knows in combination to come up with the best plan. The reason why I decided to go with Mommaerts is because he does tons of cosmetic work apart from the orthognathic surgeries he also performs regularly. I'd rather have an aesthetically great outcome than a perfect bite or whatever, so I need a surgeon who understands aesthetics. That man has written books and writes articles not only on orthognathic and cosmetic work, but also on beauty. In a recent article he analysed faces of the People magazine's most beautiful people, both men and women. He has a scientific interest in what makes people beautiful and he does research to answer this question. He also chaired an international conference on facial makeover with cosmetic surgeons from all over the world only a few months ago. He seems to understand bones but also soft tissue. I want a surgeon who is passionate about people looking beautiful, not a surgeon passionate about occlusion. I'm very careful about promoting him as a great surgeon - I have no idea if he really is, but for me he feels like the right choice. Most obviously because I do not know anyone else who can do all three procedures I mentioned above on me. How many other maxillofacial surgeons in the world you know who do so much cosmetic work and study, publish and read on beauty constantly? None?  And he's been doing this for 30 plus years. He even does things like face lifts and lip lifts and s**t. You would assume he would have figured out by now in his 30 years of operating and so many books he's written on cosmetic surgery what works and what makes people beautiful. And the best for me is that he's kept up with orthognathic surgery - he continuously operates on jaw as well as other part of the face. Aside from all his cosmetic work, he still does more jaw surgeries in one year than most surgeons do in 10.

There is always the risk that things will not turn out well for some people. Chance plays a big role in every surgical outcome, even if you have the greatest surgeon and the greatest surgical plan. That's the f**ked up reality. Maybe in the 23rd century things will be different, but now you either take risk and hopefully benefit from it, or you don't. As simple as that. All you can do is communicate clearly with your surgeon. Show him pictures of models if you have to. If he dismisses such approach, walk away. Because otherwise you increase your chances of having a bad outcome if he's not on the same page as you aesthetically. It's a fact that most cosmetic surgeons, let alone maxillofacial surgeons, do not understand male beauty. They don't have a f**king clue about what makes men beautiful. I know people who had cosmetic surgeons suggesting them the most ridiculous and inappropriate for their case things because (1) they want to make easy money with what they know how to do (2) they don't know any better (3) (in the case of maxillofacial surgeons) all they  know about is occlusions, TMJs etc. Certainly not beauty.  And that's how you end up with a reduced feminine nose, when you already have a great masculine nose and you absolutely do not need rhinoplasty.

About the ZSO - Mommaerts says in his article that the chances for asymmetry are much lower with this procedure, than with implants. He himself has not seen asymetry from this procedure. He cites data for this, it's not only an observation he makes. Implants, especially those that we are discussing here - the high malar type that augments the zygomatic arch, even if you find the ideal for you, can still be and are often misplaced. Another heavy weight surgeon - you may have heard of him - Yaremchuk, explained to me that it's hard or down right impossible to address that area with implants intraorally. He said that if he was going to do implants on me, he would tailor them (custom-made) according to my CT scans and then place them both intraorally and through another incision either in the lower eyelid or the temple (in the hairline). It's really complicated and you guessed right, it costs a fortune to have a custom-made model made of your skull and then implants engineered specifically for you. Most men do not benefit from implants because they are often misled (by ignorant surgeons who know s**t about male beauty) to choose the wrong off-the-shelf type for them, and more often than not, even in the case of the right type (if they find them or custom-made them) they end up placed incorrectly - not high enough, asymmetrically etc. The fact is there are not many types out there (if any at all, I have studied catalogues of implants thoroughly and spoke to surgeons) that cater to men and male aesthetical ideals. Strange, but true. For example, there aren't any acceptable ones for augmenting the zygomatic process of the zygomatic arch (the zygomatic process is the most lateral part that makes all those fashion models attractive). That's why Yaremchuk recommended custom-engineered ones for me.

Mommaerts also mentions in his article one male patient who was not happy with the ZSO outcome (THE ONLY ONE according to the article in his 20+ experience with this procedure) because the patient thought the result is too much, and that he successfully reversed the result. I don't know if that is the same man who posted on MissJ forums - I haven't been following that forum. But the bloody good news is - the procedure is easily reversible ("easily" according to Mommaerts, I'm not adding this myself). Another good news is you can achieve significant results with this procedure if the variables are controlled successfully. My fears as a matter of fact are in the opposite direction - that the result will be so subtle that I may end up wishing I opted for implants. I also liked the fact that at no time Mommaerts was trying to sell this procedure to me - as a matter of fact he did not even mention it on his own, and when I brought it up he was very reserved and cautious about it. I still have to discuss a lot of things with him, and all this will happen in the work up session one week before my surgery. I will not know what exactly I'm having done until one week before the surgery. However, as I posted before, I have a pretty good idea. I know exactly what I want to achieve, and the rest is discussing with Mommaerts what can be achieved in reality and how it will be achieved. He has more than 30 years of experience in both cosmetic and orthognathic work, so I have to rely on his assessment but always within the framework of what I want to achieve and him understanding my goals. He's happy to engage in debating options with you and can appreciate a well informed patient (unlike most asshole surgeons out there). The rest is chance, luck, or whatever. There is no way around it. But I simply can't think of anyone else in the world in this field who is willing and trying hard to listen to you, understand, implement and deliver results. And who is open minded and passionate about beauty, not occlusions. I may be wrong about him, I don't know. I hope not. Time will tell.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2013, 02:59:39 AM »
I agree with everything you've written. It's true that we often only hear the negatives from patients as with every kind of surgery when it goes well they move on and never come back. What you've written about ZSO is incredibly interesting, and I can vouche for the results after having seem some patients in his photo book that he has at his office. The results are very natural. I still wonder if it'd ever be possible to achieve those male model type cheekbones. What are your thoughts?

Mommaerts was also very helpful in explaining his opinion about the other surgeries recommended by other surgeons. In fact, I was quite impressed. His responses were as if he was citing a textbook from memory (in a good way). Concise but giving me everything I needed to know to make a fair assessment. I really wish we could see more of these two patients who weren't happy with their outcomes. I wonder why they won't post photos?

By the way, what do you think about Mommaerts' rhinoplasty work? I was considering having him remove my slight dorsal hump and defining the tip a bit more. However, now I'm thinking about leaving the tip of the nose until I can research rhinoplasty more and just sticking with dorsal hump only. I figure my nose is fine as it is, so why risk it? To my rhinoplasties are very hit and miss.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

falcao

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2013, 03:16:37 AM »
I don't know. I guess like with everything else it depends what you start with. Also, how much of a risk the surgeon is willing to take. There is a limit to how much laterally you can go. It depends on your own anatomy but also the size of the graft - the sandwich procedure requires grafting, and this is either autologous bone from your own body (preferable), or as Mommaerts practices in 90% of his cases, HA blocks. It also depends on your body fat percentage, i.e. how lean you are - how much fat you have accumulated in your face and how it is distributed (hopefully very, very little). If you have a good starting point, you're lean and the size of the graft is really on the large side (Note it must be at least 5mm to make any difference, so this is the very minimum), then yes, sure you can achieve something very close to that male model look. However, too many variables there so I'm restraining my expectations. I would like to see reasonable, observable, long-lasting improvements, not perfection. I mean, let me correct myself, sure I would like perfection, but how realistic is that is another question.

About the people with negative reviews not wanting to post pictures - I can understand that. I wouldn't post either if I was sad and depressed from my result.

Tell us more about the pictures you saw at his office - I never asked to be shown any pictures. Were they all women, or some men as well? What did you observe? Any good 3/4 views you were able to analyse?

I'll talk to you about his rhinoplasty work later. I have to go now.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2013, 03:53:42 AM »
Next time you see him ask if you can have a look through his book. he has a HUGE book full of just photos. After I'd explained the procedures I was looking at and he gave me his own opinion he proceeded to flick through it to find a male patient who had what I was looking at getting. I wish I had more time to look through it. Sadly I didn't get the chance to see too many other patients, which I regret. I was considering asking him to maybe make some scans to send to me of people getting similar procedures to me. If you want I can do that and share them with you. I'm just not sure how this works from a privacy point of view, as they probably agreed just to appearing in the book and wouldn't want their faces posted all over the Internet.

Regarding the ZSO, why do you believe using autologous bone is better than HA paste? And how much give is there to person preference for the ZSO? Would you trust MM's own opinion of facial aesthetics? How easy is it to improve if one wants more? I'd be more inclined to go with something a bit more conservative and go back to have it augmented than go too big straight up.

01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

falcao

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2013, 04:22:31 AM »
Autologous vs coral graft (HA is a type of coral graft if I'm correct):

Because this study says so
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15058548

I have talked personally to the French doctor who is the first credited author of the study.

Let's continue the chat about Mommaerts privately. We don't want to highjack this thread, and I'm certainly extremely cautious about promoting his work without having had the surgery myself.

I'll talk to you more tomorrow - pm or email me.

geijutsu

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »
Ok, I can finally find the time to write, man this is gonna be long...

falcao, thank you so much for mentioning the free publications on Mommaerts site, I have came across some of his papers online only with abstracts and I really wanted to have a glimpse at the detailed information about his sandwich osteotomy without having to fork out $$$ to do that, reading his publications really cleared some of the obscure parts that I had questions about regarding the procedure, example; the way he rotates the bone out after making the cuts.

Having said that, I still stand by my assessment that the cut is made at the inferior part of the zygomatic complex. That does not mean that the advancement takes place at the lower part exclusively, because there will still be a definite lateral movement as well, just not as high as I like them to be, perhaps it's more of a personal assessment rather than a "fact".

I have to say that looking at Jon Kortajarena's cheekbones and comparing it to the sandwich osteotomy's advancement vector, I can tell you that Mommaerts is right on the money that this kind of augmentation will yield the closest results that you're seeking aesthetically, although how much projection can be achieved is hard to say and is probably dependent on your starting point.

Also one have to keep in mind their native facial morphology when electing a procedure to get them closer to the "mental blueprint" they're trying to achieve , Jon K has factors other than simple bone prominence that contribute to his look, everyones bone is different in shape, proportion, and prominence (just like everything else) so your final aesthetic outcome is highly dependent on your starting point or your native facial morphology. For example, I know for a fact that if I had this procedure I would will not magically have Jon K's cheekbones because our morphology is different on many regards, sure, I will be one step closer to what his cheekbones looks like, or I would even look better, but I wouldn't have his cheekbones, not by a long shot. So unless our underlying morphology is similar and the only thing standing between me and his look is more anterior/lateral projection, I'd say electing the ZSO to have his cheekbones is an unrealistic approach.

But please do not be discouraged by that statement, I haven't seen your pictures and I have no idea how close or far is your start point from your mental blueprint, I just gave that example to clear up any unrealistic exceptions some have regarding ZSO and how it compares to how they want their cheekbones to look like.

Regarding the guy in the pictures posted previously, I have to say that I'm sure that whatever he had to his cheekbones is NOT the kind of augmentation that Mommaerts performs, it seems that he had more buccal augmentation to fill in his lower cheeks hollows purposely, which could very well be as you mentioned submalar implants, or some kind of an osteotomy we have not heard of, but it just does not seem that a ZSO is responsible for his outcome, so yes I agree what we're looking here is a different case.

The mommaerts case I mentioned previously is the same one lazlo talks about, he since removed his pictures but I remember that the cheek highlights were set too low for my taste when viewed from the front, which is very similar to the result of the woman mommaerts has in his B/A gallery, but this has more to do with the patients start point than the surgeons skill or technique, and yes the patient was a male late 20s or early 30s I think.

The look you are talking about regarding the cheek vs cheekbone is basically a bone vs. soft tissue relationship, Jon K has very prominent cheek bone while conversely having hollowed lower cheeks, this is attributed to the lack of buccal fat, a facial fat compartment that is in a plane of its own, some surgeons can actually take part of it out by making an incision from inside the cheek, the aesthetic results are immense but it seems that complication rates are high, most of the people who's had it complained that their face dropped few months later due to lack of support, and once you take that fat out there's no going back, your only option is having submalar implants to plump the lower cheek back to where it was, so proceed with caution when manipulating the buccal fat pad.

Lazlo, regarding Schendel's remark about the procedure being unpredictable; I would say that he is on point with that in regards to if the patients has a very clear mental blueprint of what they want their cheeks to look like rather than simply wanting too look improved, the main limiting factor here is your native morphology and its relation to everything else to your own face.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:43:49 PM by geijutsu »

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2013, 02:37:56 PM »
thanks geijutsu --i think we're having a great discussion about all this. makes this procedures sound good. wonder how it differs from the quad lefort II? Would it be better to have a regular lefort and then the mommaerts procedure separately?

geijutsu

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2013, 02:21:21 AM »
I think it differs a lot, for the most part occlusion is not altered with the ZSO while the Quad2 does, and the advancement takes place at two different places.

I think Mommaerts did mention that he does perform a lefort1 in conjunction with the ZSO, most of the patients B/A pictures in the paper are a lefort1/ZSO combo.

condit77

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2013, 05:59:46 PM »
Cheekbones and cheeks are two different structures. Cheeks occupy the space between zygomatic bone and maxilla. Unfortunately moving the lower zygomatic bone causes really protruding cheeks in people with already weak bone structure. I mean why do we get this surgery? To have more defined  bone structure of course, but moving the cheekbone at the wrong place causes the opposite

the more hollow that area is and taut the skin is, the more angular it looks. the aesthetic difference between a male and female is important in my opinion

with men you want that hollowness directly beneath the zygomatic bone that transitions to the mandible, not a puffy monkey mouth look: http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Leonardo-DiCaprio-leonardo-dicaprio-192819_1024_768.jpg

women it's more about a general plump cheek apple look because it gives them a youthfulness

If you have decent lateral projection of the zygomatic bone and hollowness beneath that bone what orthognathic surgery procedures increase or decrease that hollowness?

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2013, 06:25:33 PM »
Regarding ZSO mommaert's said he felt it would allow me to have higher more laterally prominent cheekbones, as opposed to now which are kinda flat. I think I'll talk to him some more and just say that I would only be looking to achieve higher cheekbones with better lateral projection, and nothing further forward.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2013, 07:34:46 PM »
Regarding ZSO mommaert's said he felt it would allow me to have higher more laterally prominent cheekbones, as opposed to now which are kinda flat. I think I'll talk to him some more and just say that I would only be looking to achieve higher cheekbones with better lateral projection, and nothing further forward.

could you post some pics of this procedure, either form the articles or other sources.