Author Topic: Class I Sleep Apnea/UARS with narrow airway & ENS  (Read 16124 times)

erikavs

Re: Class I Sleep Apnea/UARS with narrow airway & ENS
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »
I think dairy is considered inflammatory, probably more for some than others - and certainly it causes mucus - and inflammation causes mucus. I'm not overly strict because I eat pretty well and for me, carbs are the big inflammatory evil. I can tell by my digestion....If you have a sensitivity or digestive issue with a certain food group, try taking a break from it for a while.

Coconut milk and almond milk are decent substitutes. Soy milk is ok too - but soy is considered bad for thyroid and hormone issues.

Dan, don't blame yourself - you are doing all you can to get info and figure this out, and it's no small task...they don't make it easy for us to get info on nutrition in our food, medical care, etc. It's been ten years of learning for me...

I think one of the biggest stresses is sleep deprivation from bad sleep. It's just debilitating for me! I am a different person when I can get ok sleep.

erikavs

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »
I did quit dairy while recovering from UPPP because it caused too much mucus at first. I recovered well from that surgery and also did acupuncture. Maybe it helped?!

erikavs

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2013, 06:49:19 PM »
I have learned alot about nutrition, health and "alternative" medicine from Dr Mercola. His videos are annoying and he is over the top but it's great info.

http://www.mercola.com/

Also learned alot from Food Babe

http://foodbabe.com/

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 08:02:02 PM »
So I looked at that ENS website and there is one glaring issue with the story the guy provides. He stated that his pre-op endoscopy revealed significant turbinate enlargement (I will assume he is referring to the inferior turbinates). Post-op after 2 surgeries an endoscopy revealed that there was "almost nothing there" or something along those lines, necessitating even a CT scan for confirmation.

New techniques should remove hardly any tissue and are done my removing submucosal tissue (to minimally interfere with normal mucosal functioning). Even old techniques involve removing only small amounts of tissue. Did his surgeon(s) botch the surgery? It sounds like he had almost all of his turbinates removed, which would fully explain his symptoms. Not saying this is the case with you, however.

erikavs

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
There is a whole range of people with ENS, from those who've had minimal reduction with the "safest" methods, to those who've had lots removed barbarically. It's so unpredictable, that's the hard thing. There are a bunch of sites - the FB, the Yuku Forum and that new one with testimonials, and others from individuals. The severity ranges all over the map too. But even minimal issues are really annoying and tend to get worse :(

I was lucky that I did not get ENS from my first cautery (rarely done anymore) but the second one caused my symptoms. So, if you are seriously miserable now, and nothing works to reduce the swelling, it may be worth a risk? But if you get any symptoms, just know not to do anything more to the turbinates. I don't know...there are tons of stories out there with RF and submucosal, outfracture, all supposed to be safe.  I wish drs studied this so they could know more. I think they are more careful now, but I guess it's just dicey. Maybe talk to your surgeon first and make sure he is very conservative and you can try other things to shrink your turbinates or check for nasal valve collapse or throat tissues that might be blocking your airway at night.

erikavs

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2013, 09:45:58 PM »
Most people with ENS did not have alot removed. They got the modern techniques like I did, which only reduce front of the Inferior Turbinates. Many go back to complain and the drs repeated it again - what happened to me.

It's a shame that ENT's deny this outcome, it's about a 20% chance, we think. They spin this as a freak thing...I just think do one thing at a time, try other things first, and if all else fails, this might be worth a risk. It's just so debilitating, even when it's minimal if you already have sleep issues. Usually they are not in the nose.

I'd email Dr Houser for a second opinion...

http://www.metrohealth.org/physiciandirectory/PhysicianDetail.aspx?ID=060046

http://www.metrohealth.org/body.cfm?id=2277

erikavs

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2013, 09:54:11 PM »
If you are set on it, then just make sure your dr is conservative and give yourself time to recover. At first you might feel symptoms but they might subside over time. Going back right away they tend to repeat the procedure and that makes it worse. IF you get it mildly there are ways to manage and wait it out - somehow the healing is very long with turbinates.

x

• Private
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 05:42:05 PM »
Sorry to hear about your situation. Every surgery has it's risks. I understand you had your surgery a while ago, I think doctors  today are more privy to and more actively avoid the 'empty nose syndrome' considering how debilitating it can be. So, as always, making sure you trust your doctor is the most important part.

But turbinate reduction can also be very beneficial to many people

Ben

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 07:34:20 PM »
Why is it that no one gets it. Sleep quality and for that matter  a persons entire life will be f**ked if they cannot maintain steady nasal breathing. Having nasal breathing resistance is such a frustrating condition to suffer from, I feel for you op. Trying to get recognition/help for this problem is impossible since it is only seen as a minor ailment I can't work out why this.

Ben

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 09:33:26 PM »
I was looking into having a turbinate reduction. I asked my ENT doctor about ENS and he scared me, he said that is more common in countries with cold dry climates. He said if your planning on staying in this country (NZ) it shouldn't be a problem. WTF!

Ben

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 02:11:11 PM »
Thanks, I'm not now. I know how the system works now. Struggling to breathe through the nose does suck big time though, but I do have good days/weeks which keeps me hopeful for the future.

pekay

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2014, 07:51:59 PM »
Update on my situation, which really sucks. I thought ENS and sleep apnea were bad until my palate collapsed after UPPP.

What is UPPP?
Chopsticks > Spoons