Author Topic: Dr. Wolford  (Read 3946 times)

Jbird

Dr. Wolford
« on: December 17, 2016, 08:35:35 AM »
I am planning on getting my jaw surgery with Larry Wolford in September of 17.  In braces now.  During the consult he wanted an MRI of my TMJs.  Said he might want to replace them although I've never had any symptoms of pain or clicking in TMJs.  I'm getting the surgery for Severe OSA.  I had the MRI done and there was nothing wrong according to the doctor reading the MRI, no dislocation, but mild degeneration. Wolford disagrees with the findings.  Says I need another MRI done at his hospital.  I am willing to trust him, but a little scared to totally replace joints that are asymptomatic.  Has anyone else had to have their joints replaced with jaw surgery?  What do you think?  Thanks.

CCW

Re: Dr. Wolford
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 09:52:01 AM »
Yeah, that sounds like Wolford all right. I have heard bad things about Mitek anchors and wouldn't agree to them in your situation (or any). Jaw surgery with counterclockwise rotation should be enough to stabilize your joints. Wolford is one of the best jaw surgeons in the world, but he's obsessed with the Mitek anchors and basically recommends them to everyone with even the slightest joint abnormalities. I would get a second opinion from Dr. Gunson.

Jbird

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 10:30:55 AM »
Yes, need a second opinion.   I hope he won't refuse to operate if I  don't agree to the TMJ.

ditterbo

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 08:41:04 PM »
Gunson will vehemently argue against replacing TMJ's.  I have occasional clicking in my TMJ's, no degeneration, but without any prompting on this topic Gunson and his nurse (or whoever, hard to keep them all straight) told me not to go to any doc wanting to replace those joints. 

Jbird

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 02:09:37 PM »
Yes.  I'm having no luck communicating with them since my surgery is so far out.  But I'm in Dallas area.  Is there any other good surgeons here in my area?  I wonder if Wolford will do my surgery if I refuse to get my TMJ's done.  Has anyone had any luck getting that to happen?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 02:33:19 PM »
my two cents. you're insane to replace tmjs. I actually think Wolford is a mad scientist even though he has produced some spectacular results. I mean mad scientists can do amazing work on many occasions. But I don't think they're just for us normal bi-max cases cause they use us as test subjects for their crazy procedures. That girl that had no chin or jaw and he advanced her 44 mm yeah Wolford is great for something like that. But if you're a young person and there's nothing apparently super wrong with your tmjs (everyone has a bit of clicking ehre and there or a bit of chafing and what they'll call "degeneration") but unless your joints are non-existent or literally dissolving f**k Wolford.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 04:04:47 PM »
Yes.  I'm having no luck communicating with them since my surgery is so far out.  But I'm in Dallas area.  Is there any other good surgeons here in my area?  I wonder if Wolford will do my surgery if I refuse to get my TMJ's done.  Has anyone had any luck getting that to happen?
Mohaved is wolfords best student. He maybe as good but not hung up on tjr or he maybe a carbon copy of Wolford. Worlford believes that patients who need CCW also need joint treatment and other surgeons either neglect this or simply stick to linear advancements or even CW rotation to unload the joints. Unfortunately people who need CCW but end up with CW end up looking bad after surgery.

Jbird

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 04:43:09 PM »
I'm not young, I'm doing it for sleep apnea.  I need 3-4 mm on upper and 8 mm on lower per Wolford, and that's CCW.  I grinded my teeth for years also.  I just never had any pain in my joints and the MRI says it's normal for my age.  Thanks for the replies.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 08:34:12 PM »
I'm not young, I'm doing it for sleep apnea.  I need 3-4 mm on upper and 8 mm on lower per Wolford, and that's CCW.  I grinded my teeth for years also.  I just never had any pain in my joints and the MRI says it's normal for my age.  Thanks for the replies.

hmmm if you can afford wolford then i guess you can afford gunson for sure and I'd honestly feel safer with that choice. I mean replacing your jaw joints is a shirt world of f**ked upness to introduce into your life.

Lestat

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 10:04:02 PM »
There already exists a thread about Dr. Wolford. Please use the search function.

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=5413.0

Jbird

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 08:29:51 PM »
I wonder if Mohaved is as expensive as Wolford or Gunson, anyone know?  He's quite a way from me.  I'd like to see him.

ppsk

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 11:01:44 PM »
What is wolford charging for bimax?

I'm betting hes one of the drain your life savings surgeons