Author Topic: Forward Head Posture  (Read 79963 times)

PloskoPlus

Re: Forward Head Posture
« Reply #225 on: July 08, 2014, 01:12:05 PM »
I read an article recently about the effect toes have on posture, specifically a longer second toe...apparently this this can cause all kind of f**kery with weight bearing, tilting the pelvis and ultimately contributing to the dreaded forward head posture.

Supposedly Morton's toe is correlated with athletic ability. Federer has it.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #226 on: July 08, 2014, 01:17:59 PM »
My body is so f'd I don't think a physio would know where to start. It's to the point I have a hard time even sitting in a chair! My feet are so overpronated my ankles look broken. This is depressing.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #227 on: July 08, 2014, 01:27:46 PM »
My body is so f'd I don't think a physio would know where to start. It's to the point I have a hard time even sitting in a chair! My feet are so overpronated my ankles look broken. This is depressing.

Trust me, I know how you feel :/ My body is jacked up..I have so many damn issues going on at once. You just need to keep looking for someone who can help you. I use to be pretty obsessed with having a really good looking body, but now, I just want a f**king normal,  pain free functioning body. And now I know how to correctly workout so I dont get this issue again.  Im seeing a physio on the 16th. My surgery is on the 28th. This guy and his partner are suppose to be good, so I'll see what he can do in that short period of time. I just want my neck pain to go away, which it has before, but now one of my neck muscle (guessing levator scapulae) is tight as f**k and killing me. Ive got rid of the pain in one day before doing certain things, but they're not working anymore. I think my scapula is just messed up and I have s**tty ass thoracic mobility. We can get rid of pain!! I know it!! Try and stay positive

LoveofScotch

« Reply #228 on: July 08, 2014, 01:59:53 PM »
PP,

If you benefited from orthotics (foot), but had comfort issues with them I would keep looking. I've worn seemingly every generic and custom orthotic known to man, and even with 'perfect' feet it took me some trial and error to find the right fit. Turns out feet are kind of like mouths/jaws, even a mm can make a difference.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #229 on: July 08, 2014, 02:41:57 PM »
Supposedly Morton's toe is correlated with athletic ability. Federer has it.

All the best people do  ;)

PloskoPlus

« Reply #230 on: July 08, 2014, 03:29:30 PM »
PP,

If you benefited from orthotics (foot), but had comfort issues with them I would keep looking. I've worn seemingly every generic and custom orthotic known to man, and even with 'perfect' feet it took me some trial and error to find the right fit. Turns out feet are kind of like mouths/jaws, even a mm can make a difference.

Those orthotics were the hard custom type.  Yesterday I got custom soft ones measured up for me.  Will be picking them up in 2 weeks. 

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #231 on: July 08, 2014, 03:48:13 PM »
Maybe I should try out some custom orthodics :) my shoes are horribly thin at the sole but they're so worn in and comfy

Alue

• Private
« Reply #232 on: July 13, 2014, 10:15:42 PM »

I know how you feel, if I straighten my posture up and move my head back my adam's apple bulges out and I get this lump in the back of my throat feeling.   
It's like the curvature of my upper spine bends forward more where my Addams apple is, makes me wonder if it had something to do with wearing headgear while growing up or if it was just 2 decades of poor posture. 

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2015, 01:43:30 AM »
Okayy, if anyone wants to fix there posture, go to Brentbrookbush.com This dude has the answer for upper body dysfunction,  lumbopelvic hip complex disorder, SI joint dysfunction, lower leg dysfunction and in the future will do an article on cervical posture which is mostly related to problems with your shoulder blades and then he'll do one on feet issues. I just got my certificate for personal training and eventual plan on opening my own place to fix peoples f**ked up postures. Theres this trainer I saw who charges 120 bucks a session and i know more than him. So if he can do that, then I can for surely do it. I even knew things a physical therapists assistants didnt even know lol. And the physical therapist was impressed. All because of this guy.  The detail he goes into on these dysfunctions is amazing and makes it so f**king easy. All your doing is going to a joint 1. Finding out what muscles cross that joint and what there functions are 2. Which muscles are tight and which ones are lengthened ( opposing muscles) 3. Release and stretch the tight muscles, strengthen the lengthened ones. Ex. Anterior pelvic tilt. Tight muscles: latisimus dorsi illiopsoas, TFl, glute minimus, anterior adductors,  rectus femoris, vastus lateralis,  and bicep femoris ( which should only be releases and or active stretched) erector spenae. Lenghtened muscles: glute max and min, transverse abdominis,  medial hamstrings. Usually the main issue that causes a lot of issues in the body is the lack of dorsiflexion which causes a chain reaction of issues. Dorsiflexion is the ability to translate the knee over the foot. Should have like 20-30 degrees of dorsiflexion at the ankle. I fixed my upper body posture because of him. All his articles and s**t are free still I think but he charges for viewing aome things now, so you have to become a member. He just started charging this year which kind of blows. But he has one article that goes over every single dysfuction and how to fix it. Like what muscles need to strengthened ans what needs to be stretched. Sorry about the bad paragraph structure lol
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 01:59:05 AM by nrelax11 »

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #234 on: February 14, 2015, 01:48:11 AM »
I read an article recently about the effect ave on posture, specifically a longer second toe...apparently this this can cause all kind of f**kery with weight bearing, tilting the pelvis and ultimately contributing to the dreaded forward head posture.

Correct, more so to do with the lack of dorsiflexion like I stated and overly pronated feet. This can start a chain reaction on the rest of your body. When you sprain your ankle, your suppose to go see a physical therapist and a mabual therpist to set it back to the right place. I sprained the same ankle twice and my dorsiflexion sucks on that foot, so ive been doing distraction with a monster band and then stretching my calves and working my posterior and anterior tibialis.  Which both control dorsiflexion and inversion of the foot

Wheatsnax

« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2017, 10:36:02 AM »
Has anyone successfully fixed their neck posture pre-surgery?

I am doing PT now but I have a feeling the neck forward posture is an involuntary reflex, similar to how patients with ptosis also adopt a head forward and tilted up posture to compensate for visual obstruction.

personal case in point - I have a dominant right eye and a lazy left eye. Years of PT for pain was literally useless until a vision therapist pointed out my movement problems, was literally moving, bending and leading my body from the right side all the time. I am hypermobile too.

Can't even find a comfortable, consistent neutral at the moment, which concerns me regarding my ceph planning in regards to head tilt. Is this something even to worry about?

mike888miller

« Reply #236 on: January 16, 2017, 07:12:42 AM »
If you are jotting your jaw Forward and Counter tilting your head back, in order to breath better, or for cosmetic reasons, this will Impact your posture. a doctor i saw said that he noticed postural improvements in patients post agressive bimax. pecker (spelling? the upenn doc from philly) also mentions improved posture for bimax treated apnea patients, but sadly does not go into it much.

i think for us the question is two fold

pre surgery
1 - does our current head tilting lead to a less ideal surgery plan, as your natural  horizontal will Change post surgery post improved posture. ie, your doctor may not lengthen your jaw as much as needed because you are camuflaging the true aestetic deficit somewhat (this has happenend to me with 3 very famous docs that are often referenced on this Forum)

post surgery
2 - how can we maximise postural improvement, and incorporate it into the relerning Phase.
quesion to People that have had bimax - is it hard to swallow at first?

mike888miller

« Reply #237 on: January 16, 2017, 07:43:07 AM »
wheat

on YouTube search Feldenkrais and Fitness, and then search for the Video on how to fix eyesight, this worked for me