Author Topic: Forward Head Posture  (Read 80506 times)

trigeminalneuralgia

Re: Forward Head Posture
« Reply #180 on: April 06, 2013, 07:26:41 AM »
this is what hurts for me

this movement..

good diagram

and my biceps tendon because it runs up to the front of you shoulder blaah

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #181 on: April 08, 2013, 09:43:56 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/user/nabilebraheim
awesome anatomy videos

really thorough

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #182 on: April 08, 2013, 10:31:23 AM »
Muscle Anatomy Of The Trunk - Everything You Need To Know - Dr. Nabil Ebraheim

is good

my lats are too strong and weak lower traps

c7 is the big bone bump at the base of your neck..then t1..t2 etc

and i think my erector spinae are just way overactive

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #183 on: April 08, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
These neck jaw books make a big deal about leg length discrepancy causing pain in your head..jaw

I have this. Hope orthotics help

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #184 on: April 10, 2013, 08:36:41 AM »
this is from my headache book, its cool

"the concept of qi is not easily translatable into w'ern medical terminology.  it is thought that qi is energy that flows through 14 main meridians and connecting vessels that go to all parts of the body.  qi moves the blood and lymph fluids.  when the flow of qi is stopped (stagnation), pain and disease result.  based on today's study of body processes, some think that qi refers to the biochemical processes in living creatures-- the combination of electrical impulses, neurotransmitters, hormones, bodily fluids, and cellular metabolism that allow us to be living, breathing creatures.  as you read in ch 1, trigger points form when your fluids aren't moving very well, cellular metabolism isn't working properly, and neurotransmitters aren't operating normally, which supports this particular concept of qi, and the idea of pain resulting from qi stagnation"

describes me so well, especially my magnesium deficiency

x

• Private
« Reply #185 on: May 22, 2013, 02:43:09 AM »
Man this is frustrating, lately I've found myself waking up in the middle of the night struggling for full breaths. Allergy season is hell, I can feel the strain in my neck from posturing severely forward while sleeping.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2013, 05:36:11 AM »
Are you taking anything for your allergies?

x

• Private
« Reply #187 on: May 22, 2013, 07:35:18 AM »
OTC drugs only, I should probably look to a more permanent solution

hypertrophied turbinates and a deviated nasal septum aren't helping     :P

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #188 on: May 22, 2013, 10:20:09 AM »
Maybe you should look into the in office turbinate reduction.
From what I hear it is very conservative, takes less than 10 minutes.   They use radio frequency sometimes and just a local anesthetic in nose.

x

• Private
« Reply #189 on: May 22, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »
Maybe you should look into the in office turbinate reduction.
From what I hear it is very conservative, takes less than 10 minutes.   They use radio frequency sometimes and just a local anesthetic in nose.

That's what my ENT suggested. I have a bunch of things that may be causing the nasal blockage and don't know which to start with (allergies, retruded jaws, turbinates, deviated septum). Even had enlarged adenoids and tonsils but they were removed years ago

I'm going for a sleep study sometime this summer so hopefully I'll know more then

Alue

• Private
« Reply #190 on: May 26, 2013, 02:05:15 AM »
To those (guys) that have forward head posture, do you find your adam's apple juts out when trying to correct the forward head posture?  I have a big adam's apple, forward head posture, and small jaw.  It feels like when I pull my head back and stand up straight my adam's apple sticks out almost as far as my jaw. 

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #191 on: May 26, 2013, 02:36:06 AM »
Yes I have noticed that on guys also.    For those who have had surgery does that improve?

x

• Private
« Reply #192 on: May 26, 2013, 09:40:31 AM »
I'd be careful trying to manually correct it. I did that on Friday to see how I looked (also put my head in the frankfurt position which might've done it) and my spine was sore all yesterday

CK

• Private
« Reply #193 on: May 26, 2013, 01:25:48 PM »
the only way to correct forward head posture (or any bad posture) is to strengthen your neck and shoulder muscles. virtually everyone with forward head posture has rounded shoulders.

just sitting up straight isnt going to help, i mean it is a good habit but youll just get short and most likely you arent even sitting up correctly - just bending your spin back. that's just as bad as slouching.

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #194 on: May 26, 2013, 02:33:44 PM »
Interesting subject! A few months ago I was seeing a PT because of the pain in my neck from leaning my head and shoulders too far forward- turns out the problem is not just there but I have imbalances from my lower spine to my neck. The therapist mentioned it is probably a combination of poor posture during daily activities in conjunction with energy/mood/personality. Manual correction is painful, and I was given exercises to do. Strengthening the muscles in your neck and upper shoulders will help, but if your alignment is a complete mess you need to look at the bigger picture not just one area.
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.