Author Topic: Mandibular auto-rotation via orthodontics  (Read 1704 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Mandibular auto-rotation via orthodontics
« on: October 21, 2013, 02:58:12 AM »
My ortho believes that by impacting my third molars I should see the mandible come forward and upwards a bit more.

Could someone explain briefly what this will mean? How dramatic would it be? Will this improve gonial angles? Obviously I'm still going through with surgery for various reasons, although I have found it fascinating just what can be achieved orthodontically.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

overbiter

Re: Mandibular auto-rotation via orthodontics
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:11:39 PM »
My ortho believes that by impacting my third molars I should see the mandible come forward and upwards a bit more.

Could someone explain briefly what this will mean? How dramatic would it be? Will this improve gonial angles? Obviously I'm still going through with surgery for various reasons, although I have found it fascinating just what can be achieved orthodontically.

Really? You find it fascinating what orthos can achieve? Ruining peoples aesthetics for life is hardly an achievement.

If you want to know what you will look like after having your third molars impacted, then slide your lower jaw forward 1 to 1.5 mm. I hope you are not paying your orthodontist separately for this impaction treatment, but if you are then good luck with that one. Gonial angles, ha ha.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 03:41:56 PM »
What do you mean paying separately? Do you have something against impacting the third molars? Mine over erupted due to invisalign retainers that don't fit properly.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:50:58 PM »
Update: Braces are now on. PAIN

I look awful too. Weak jaw and the braces make me look like I've got some serious bimax protrusion going on, whereas usually it's more minor in a good way. Here's to hoping the next few months fly by, I get that surgery and be done with it.

The ortho believes about 9 months pre- and 4 post for surgery.