Author Topic: Dr. Steven Park and aging  (Read 3232 times)

Lazlo

• Private
Dr. Steven Park and aging
« on: November 03, 2013, 01:07:31 PM »
I've been a big fan of Dr. Steven Park's stuff for a long time. Here's one page on his site, says jaw surgery leads to aging, but i think he means only when done to move back a maxilla that is too far forward, otherwise should the OPPOSITE be the case? Also I thought he was an advocate for jaw surgery for sleep apnea

http://doctorstevenpark.com/7-ways-to%C2%A0speed-up-aging

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Dr. Steven Park and aging
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 01:16:05 PM »
I've been a big fan of Dr. Steven Park's stuff for a long time. Here's one page on his site, says jaw surgery leads to aging, but i think he means only when done to move back a maxilla that is too far forward, otherwise should the OPPOSITE be the case? Also I thought he was an advocate for jaw surgery for sleep apnea

http://doctorstevenpark.com/7-ways-to%C2%A0speed-up-aging

this page is interesting, i want the opposite of a genioglossosas advancement with my bsso, i want my tongue to feel further back in my mouth, since right now it's pushing hard against my bottom and top teeth. does anyone know if that will improve after bix-max advancement?

overbiter

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 01:53:04 PM »
Your tongue attaches to the lower jaw somehow. It's position is fixed relative to the jaw, surgeons can't change it. That's why a jaw advancement surgery always increases the size of the airway.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:50:50 PM »
Your tongue attaches to the lower jaw somehow. It's position is fixed relative to the jaw, surgeons can't change it. That's why a jaw advancement surgery always increases the size of the airway.

yeah but dr. park talks about a genioglossus advancement, it's something to do with what he calls the "stanford protocol" where they cut some bone and cause the tongue to advance too, if they do any sort of detatchment could they maybe position the tongue differently? Something to obviously ask an experienced surgeon.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 12:21:34 AM »
This article is about sleeping, rather than aging (although the idea is that poor sleep will age you).

Anyway, seems to me like a filler page designed to push a site up google or get more organic search hits.

You can read it like this 'moving either jaw back sometimes decreases the airway which might lead to poorer sleep which might lead to aging"

If you're type 3, you've got an overdeveloped mandible and therefore might have a larger than average airway to go with it.  In which case moving it back won't be a problem

Everyone I've seen who's had their maxilla moved back, has had their mandible moved forward...should cancel out airway changes

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 04:12:23 AM »
Everyone I've seen who's had their maxilla moved back, has had their mandible moved forward...should cancel out airway changes

I've heard of the maxilla being moved forward, rotated up and down, but never moved back.  Links?

x

• Private
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 04:52:15 AM »
I've heard of the maxilla being moved forward, rotated up and down, but never moved back.  Links?
True maxillary prognathism is rare but it exists

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 07:45:32 AM »

Seen it done in retrognathia...but never by a lot.  Like 2-3mm

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 04:06:13 PM »
Seen it done in retrognathia...but never by a lot.  Like 2-3mm
Actually, I've seen quite a lot of Asians like in the before picture.  It's interesting that mandibular prognathism is relatively more common amongst Asians as well.