Author Topic: taking time off work for surgery  (Read 2498 times)

treevernal

• Private
taking time off work for surgery
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:47:13 PM »
So my surgery date will be sometime in January.  I notified the surgeons office and my orthodontist that that is my target time to get surgery and they agreed it will work.  I'll be orthodontically ready sooner than that but I have weddings, thanksgiving and Christmas to fly home for so I decided its best just to do it in January. 

My surgeon recommends I take off 5 weeks from work.  Since that is such a large amount of time I feel I should tell my boss soon.  I've saved up some vacation time but I may need to take some of the time off unpaid.  I know every company is different, but maybe I could get short-team medical leave? 

For those of you who've had or are soon planning to have surgery:
1) how did you tell your boss?  Did you get any weird responses or judgements?
2) did you use vacation time or sick leave?

Thanks!

Marisama

• Private
Re: taking time off work for surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 09:38:28 PM »
I am planning on taking a short term disability leave.  I am hoping for as much time off as the surgeon will be willing to say I need.  It's interesting that you were told 5 weeks.  From what I've heard others say about time off work, that seems above average.  

Regarding breaking the news to my boss, I'm plan to just sit down and say I need the time off for some pretty serious surgery.  He had a medical issue last year where he was out for 3 months so I don't think it will be an issue for me.