Author Topic: Mirror vs. picture vs. webcam  (Read 7674 times)

tdawg

• Private
Mirror vs. picture vs. webcam
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:16:05 AM »
which is the more accurate representation?

I think everyone likes how they look in the mirror best.

But how much is that because of even lighting and how much of it is because you cant really see your face as a whole? I know the camera image is the reverse of what you are used to seeing so asymmetry seems more apparent in photographs(but only photos of ourselves).

The one thing that makes me think a mirror may be most accurate is the fact that I always look the same in mirrors(unless it is angled), whereas two different photos of me can look like two different people.

stevek216

Re: Mirror vs. picture vs. webcam
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 06:13:40 AM »
If you REALLY want to get a good image of how you appear to others, set up a video camera and just walk around and talk as if someone was there.  You might look bats**t crazy but you'll definitely get a pretty accurate idea of what you look like.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:00:54 AM »
the video idea is good

(and AWFUL)

Heavyweight

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:24:17 AM »
The mirror is by far the best indicator of how you look. Photos are extra brutal to ugly people because they tend to be more asymmetrical than average.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:52:52 AM »
The mirror is by far the best indicator of how you look. Photos are extra brutal to ugly people because they tend to be more asymmetrical than average.

Why do you say that?  Everyone is used to seeing themselves in the mirror.  I think a photo/video would show your true image better.  Think about it.  When you see pictures of other people, does the picture look like they do in reality?  When others see a picture of you, I'm sure they think that the picture matches what they see in reality as well.

Heavyweight

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:16:15 AM »
Why do you say that?  Everyone is used to seeing themselves in the mirror.  I think a photo/video would show your true image better.  Think about it.  When you see pictures of other people, does the picture look like they do in reality?  When others see a picture of you, I'm sure they think that the picture matches what they see in reality as well.

You have to remember that we're used to seeing a reflected version of our faces. When we see photos of ourselves, we find that we look worse because our asymmetries are essentially doubled. However, to other people, our photos show our true faces. Other people would probably say we look better in photos than in the mirror.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »
I'm not sure how you're disagreeing with me.  Photos show more asymmetry, which is what other people see as well.  We're just not used to it.

Heavyweight

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 12:54:59 PM »
I'm not sure how you're disagreeing with me.  Photos show more asymmetry, which is what other people see as well.  We're just not used to it.

You're right for the wrong reason.

Ceteris paribus, photos show more asymmetry than mirrors because photos are static. But for an individual, a photo of himself will appear even more asymmetrical than it will appear to other people because he, and only he, is used to seeing a reflected image of his face.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »
But we're talking about reality and perception is reality.  What other people see is reality, not what you see that you are not accustomed to. 

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 01:39:22 PM »
I don't know much about photography, but I do know of two surgeons that use standard 35mm cameras with film to photograph their patients. Their reasoning: digital, especially close up, distorts. It produces a fishbowl effect. Take a photo at arms length and compare to one taken at a distance (digital or otherwise), and you'll pick up on this distortion.

Heavyweight

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 01:53:11 PM »
But we're talking about reality and perception is reality.  What other people see is reality, not what you see that you are not accustomed to. 

They aren't seeing the exaggerated asymmetry that you are seeing. That's why most people will say you look better in a picture of yourself than you believe you do.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 02:39:40 PM »
I think Steve's video camera idea is ultimately the better way to view features in motion. Still photos, I believe, cannot always capture much of the nuanced characteristics picked up with facial movement. Taking a self video would be easier said than done, given the whole bats**t crazy aspect, but it would be a good reality check if forced to actually watch and study.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 07:01:38 PM »
Well I figured something out.

When I look straight on into the camera(self pic) my face looks very flat(almost like its melting lol)

But when I take of my face when I am looking into the camera but my head is turned a bit, I actually like it better than what I see in the mirror.

Im thinking maybe the one dimensional nature of camera is exaggerating my slightly long face when it is too close. Pictures taken at a distance are generally fine to me.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 05:49:33 AM »
I have noticed my skin looks much nicer than I think it is because im so used to the digital upclose shots and the magnifying mirror to look at my clogged pores >_<