Author Topic: Re: Male, Underbite, double jaw surgery (Pics recent as of 5.30.12)  (Read 13094 times)

CheezyGuy913

Truly great results congrats! Sounds like you're a few weeks ahead of me in the healing game - did you have much numbness post op? Any still? 2 weeks in and my chin is pretty numb still.

stevek216

Re: Male, Underbite, double jaw surgery (Pics recent as of 5.30.12)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:09:51 AM »
I had serious numbness on my left upper cheek all the way to my lower eyelid, the two sides of my chin but not my chin itself, and my gums.  The numbness is fading, only my gums are still fully numb around my teeth.  My chin is about half as numb as it was and my cheek is still kind of numb when I really concentrate on it but is otherwise not noticeable.  However numbness is sorta the last thing to go, I've heard.  It's not uncommon to have numbness persist up to a year after surgery, even once the swelling is long gone.  Two weeks in and I'd say you have nothing to worry about with numbness.

perfetto8390

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 07:03:49 AM »
Its good to see that you are recovering well. Now were you wired shut or banded shut after surgery? Do you find that you have much of an appetite?

stevek216

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 08:22:26 AM »
It was a combination of both.  I have two wires in the very front holding my teeth together and maybe 7-8 very tightly wrapped bands along my molars.  I have absolutely no range of motion, my surgeon had me try as hard as i could to move my teeth and he said there was no motion.  The bands and wires are so tight that they've actually pulled my lower teeth up behind my upper teeth in front, my upper teeth in front are actually resting on the lower braces, preventing further movement.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »
I have absolutely no range of motion, my surgeon had me try as hard as i could to move my teeth and he said there was no motion. The bands and wires are so tight that they've actually pulled my lower teeth up behind my upper teeth in front, my upper teeth in front are actually resting on the lower braces, preventing further movement.

Sounds uncomfortable, Steve. When my heavy bands were finally removed, I was so hungry that I purchased a lot of fun, soft (and unhealthy) foods to celebrate. To my chagrin, I then realized I had next to zero ROM to actually eat them. Needless to say, this left me frustrated and still hungry. As the days went by however, I found chopsticks to be useful. ROM is now at 52mm, which is sort of on the high end of the spectrum, I believe.

stevek216

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 12:15:22 AM »
It's more of a nuisance than anything, but I hope that my range of motion returns quickly! I'm dying for some real food :P

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 07:10:23 PM »
It's more of a nuisance than anything, but I hope that my range of motion returns quickly! I'm dying for some real food :P

During those early days post-recovery, hunger was my biggest complaint. I resented any and all food commercials. Everything looked so damned good, even foods I wouldn't ordinarily eat. I resorted to eating oils to tamp down hunger pangs.
You're going to be unwired soon, right?

stevek216

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 05:47:12 AM »
I'll be unwired next Tuesday, June 12th, so not too far off. Can't wait :)

txiña

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 02:59:43 AM »
Great results, congratulations!!!

stevek216

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 03:45:25 AM »
Thanks txina, and I'll have to do that neferkitti.  I have two out of three of the ingredients!  I may substitute papaya for goat cheese :P I'm not sure I'm THAT adventurous.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 10:03:13 PM »
I may substitute papaya for goat cheese :P I'm not sure I'm THAT adventurous.

I'm usually pretty adventurous, but it's the goat cheese that throws me.  :-\ I'll eventually try it, maybe.

stevek216

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 05:06:15 PM »
Unwired! Free at last.  It felt SO bizarre.  I will edit this post with pics later tonight, but it is unbelievably nice to be able to open my mouth again.  My teeth were disgusting, but an hour of brushing got them looking decent, I could pass for British.  Shoot away with unwiring questions if you have them, I will flesh out this post along with the pictures. 

The pics are here as well as the main post.  Because I'm looking to make this a three page thread :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:43:22 PM by stevek216 »

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 09:01:41 PM »
Unwired! Free at last.  It felt SO bizarre.  I will edit this post with pics later tonight, but it is unbelievably nice to be able to open my mouth again.  My teeth were disgusting, but an hour of brushing got them looking decent, I could pass for British.  Shoot away with unwiring questions if you have them, I will flesh out this post along with the pictures. 

The pics are here as well as the main post.  Because I'm looking to make this a three page thread :P

Huge congrats, Steve! Big day for you and you look fantastic!  ;D How's your range on your first day of freedom?

neferkitti

• Private
Re: Male, Underbite, double jaw surgery (Pics recent as of 6.12.12)
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 09:19:29 PM »
Steve deserves a champagne emoticon!

Love this photo. I see sheer happiness and relief!

stevek216

Re: Male, Underbite, double jaw surgery (Pics recent as of 6.12.12)
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 05:01:46 AM »
Haha thanks you guys!  Neferkitti, I can open my mouth about an inch.  Enough to eat most things, though my sister got a kick out of watching me eat a muffin yesterday.