Author Topic: Re: Relapse  (Read 5438 times)

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
Re: Relapse
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 06:40:37 AM »
ps, my experience of watching boards, blogs, patients of any kind bla bla bla

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »
We should remember that relapse due to condylar resorption/atrophy will manifest itself in all three dimensions. As the condyle is eroded, the mandible will begin a clockwise movement, pivoting about the rearmost maxillary molars. Thus, what is more frequently noticed is the loss or reduction of overbite, rather than the increase in overjet. Orthodontics can quite easily compensate for most antero-posterior changes. The vertical changes (i.e. loss of overbite or development of openbite), however, are more difficult to compensate for orthodontically.

For most cases concerning relapse, whether reoperation is untaken is largely up to the patient. While no surgeon is going to recommend re-opertation solely due to a 5% relapse, there is no particular point that any given surgeon is going to suggest another BSSO.

thankyou sharptoys.

What are the chances of relapsing in a way that is impossible to deal with orthodontically?

also, did/will you have/had surgery? for what'? with whom?

Mighty_Mouth

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
We should remember that relapse due to condylar resorption/atrophy will manifest itself in all three dimensions. As the condyle is eroded, the mandible will begin a clockwise movement, pivoting about the rearmost maxillary molars. Thus, what is more frequently noticed is the loss or reduction of overbite, rather than the increase in overjet. Orthodontics can quite easily compensate for most antero-posterior changes. The vertical changes (i.e. loss of overbite or development of openbite), however, are more difficult to compensate for orthodontically.

For most cases concerning relapse, whether reoperation is untaken is largely up to the patient. While no surgeon is going to recommend re-opertation solely due to a 5% relapse, there is no particular point that any given surgeon is going to suggest another BSSO.

Very interesting.  Although I've been told that I am "too old" for condylar resorption, this is exactly what happened to me in both relapses.  First, my bite was edge to edge (0mm overbite) and then it opened up again.  The difference from my pre-surg condition is that with the relapses, only the anterior open bite returned.  I have had no increase in overjet, which was corrected in the first surgery.  I've already been told that ortho won't help, and it's fairly obvious that it is a structural problem rather than a dental problem.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 05:42:48 AM »

Man that is so scary?

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 06:29:23 AM »

Man that is so scary?

Indeed it is

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 10:52:30 AM »
so a 3-4 mm relapse is orthodontically treatable?

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 11:19:04 AM »
With all those plates and screws it's stll not stable.... God does this ever end

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »
With all those plates and screws it's stll not stable.... God does this ever end

Kristen, you should select a random sample from the board (i.i.d.)

Like you list all users and pick 20.

You constantly hear back from them and you make a test, considering:
1) starting point
2) surgeon reputation
3) Pre existing problems (tmj..apnea..)

And then your Y is Patient satisfaction.

If at a confidence interval of 90% (1.64) you verify patient satisfaction you should go for it.

If not....find another option.

Sharptoys

• Private
    • The Eric Reyes Law Firm
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 01:20:21 PM »
sharptoy said he had elastics?

I had skeletal wiring for the first 3 weeks post-op, and class I/II elastics since then.

pekay

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 02:27:34 PM »
little something something by Reyneke

http://www.oralmaxsurgery.theclinics.com/article/S1042-3699(10)00119-6/abstract

how long until Lazlo travels to S. Africa for a consult with him ?
Chopsticks > Spoons