Author Topic: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?  (Read 83083 times)

sean89

Re: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2014, 08:03:17 PM »
Where did you find that? I tried quickly looking around the website and found no mention of a Chin-Wing Osteotomie.

email

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2014, 01:59:27 AM »
email

Do you know what experience he has with it? How technical the osteotomie is?

Lots of people can do a BSSO too, but not everyone has the technical and aesthetic ability to produce pleasing results.

And did he give any indication of price?

Sorry for all the questions. I might e-mail him myself soon.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

sean89

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2014, 09:05:48 AM »
I don't know the answer to any of those questions, but if you speak to him about his experience/price etc, please let me know what he said. Thanks.

MrRochester

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2014, 11:50:04 PM »
Here is a reply from one of the main surgeons performing the procedure. I thought it might be of interest to some of you here who may look like I do. I asked if double jaw surgery was necessary along with the chin wing in order to achieve optimal aesthetic improvement:

"thank you again for your request. Looking at your pictures we still recommend a Wing-Osteotomy alone since a repositioning of the upper jaw without wearing braces is not advisable and not necessary to improve just your looks."

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2014, 04:44:16 AM »
Here is a reply from one of the main surgeons performing the procedure. I thought it might be of interest to some of you here who may look like I do. I asked if double jaw surgery was necessary along with the chin wing in order to achieve optimal aesthetic improvement:

"thank you again for your request. Looking at your pictures we still recommend a Wing-Osteotomy alone since a repositioning of the upper jaw without wearing braces is not advisable and not necessary to improve just your looks."

Which surgeon was that?
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

MrRochester

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2014, 01:53:01 PM »
Which surgeon was that?

Dr. Brusco who works with Triaca. 

applejuice

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2014, 02:02:57 PM »
Did you ask for a quote?

MrRochester

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2014, 02:23:28 PM »
Did you ask for a quote?

Here is the quote, very expensive:

"The price is 10000.- CHF for the surgeon and about 2500.- for the Anesthesia if the operation is performed on a outpatient base. If you prefer to stay 1 or 2 nights in the hospital, wich is not mandatory, you would have to calculate about 8000.- CHF more.

"

applejuice

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2014, 02:32:11 PM »
Thanks. That's really pretty expensive  :(

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2014, 02:49:39 PM »
It doesn't sound that much to me (12500 CHF is only around $14k). Am I missing something?

MrRochester

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2014, 03:01:44 PM »
It doesn't sound that much to me (12500 CHF is only around $14k). Am I missing something?

That's pretty expensive considering Mommaerts charges 4000 Euros and another doctor 6000 Euros. Also, the stay in the hospital isn't really optional if you are a foreign patient so you have to add on the other 8000CHF hospital stay bringing the total to around $22000. When you factor in flight and hotel costs, you're going to wind up paying around $25000 to have chin wing at Pyramide am See.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2014, 03:50:27 PM »
Chin Wing and lower jaw surgery can be combined in one surgery if the surgeon doesnt use the usual Obwegeser / Dal Pont osteotomy but the Schloessmann osteotomy (aka Bad Homburg method).
The cut is higher and thus doesnt interfere with the chin wing surgery. Zarrinbal for example does it this way.

Yes but but but but but...one of the reasons that elongating the ramus or doing this type of ramus BSSO is supposedly unstable is because it's stretching the masseter (?sp) muscle - which is really strong and therefore doesn't like to be stretched.  Which would also be the case in the chin wing.  Are we saying that because the bite doesn't change, the stretching doesn't affect the result?

This type of BSSO is, in theory, quite a good option for many class 2s (can elongate ramus and improve mandibular plane) yet very surgeons chose to do it and their must be a reason for that....  :-\

Notrain, I guess I think that chinwing seems more brutal than BSSO because it's a full thickness ostetotomy around the entire mandible, guess I'm wrong

Chinwing would allow me to elongate the posterior face and improve the chin angle/plane without doing upper with CCW.  However I might need upper with CCW to get the right amount of advancement so it's kindof a moot point I guess

What do you look like?  Class 2? Short Ramus?  Steep plane?  All of the above?

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2014, 04:00:30 PM »
That's pretty expensive considering Mommaerts charges 4000 Euros and another doctor 6000 Euros. Also, the stay in the hospital isn't really optional if you are a foreign patient so you have to add on the other 8000CHF hospital stay bringing the total to around $22000. When you factor in flight and hotel costs, you're going to wind up paying around $25000 to have chin wing at Pyramide am See.

Ah okay I didn't know what other surgeons are charging. Do you know how much a bimax or similar costs?

notrain

• Private
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2014, 05:48:23 PM »
Notrain, I guess I think that chinwing seems more brutal than BSSO because it's a full thickness ostetotomy around the entire mandible, guess I'm wrong

Yes, but chin wing leaves the teeth alone entirely and you technically don't sever the mandible bone entirely. I have to admit that I didn't look into this yet this much, because my posterior face height is fine (my ramus is long enough imo and plane is flat). I am just f**ked sagitally.

If you are considering adding a chin wing to your surgery, then I'd get bimax without genio first and once you are healed get the chin wing a year later if you think you still need it.

MrRochester

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »
Got a response from Dr. Kater at www.dysgnathie.de. He performs a modified chin wing osteotomy.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:45:40 PM by MrRochester »