Author Topic: Would you get Plastic Surgery after Jaw Surgery?...  (Read 9643 times)

Cmonster

• Private
Would you get Plastic Surgery after Jaw Surgery?...
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:09:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

Was curious to know if anyone here has had PS after jaw surgery or is considering having some PS after their jaw surgery. If for example things looked "off" post-op or possibly worse would you look for ways to correct them or just let them be? Would be interested to know your thoughts (if you have any).

Cheers.
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

pekay

Re: Would you get Plastic Surgery after Jaw Surgery?...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:25:27 PM »
What are you looking to have it done? a rhino to address the nose issue that most (upper jaw and/or bi-max) patients deal with? Not really a big issue...
Chopsticks > Spoons

LoveofScotch

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 09:16:43 PM »
Hi Cmonster,

How's your bite doing? Are you just looking to correct some aesthetic issues post surgery? I just looked at your recent post on HA paste; if that is causing some cheek asymmetry, do you know if they can just remove all of it from both of your cheeks? Would that be enough to correct any of your concerns?

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 05:16:22 PM »
Well my nose definitely widened post-op, even though the alar stitch was used etc etc. The nose bugs me, but not as much as the asymmetry and how bottom heavy (masculine) my face looks. Im looking into fat transfers/grafting to get some fullness in my face since its flatter/gaunt , and possibly some augmentation on the cheekbones to get some volume...
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 05:39:51 PM »
Hi again,

I could have you mixed up with someone else, but are you living in the Midwest? I believe you said somewhere you are in Chicago (I live in Minneapolis). I'm sure there are great plastic doctors in Chicago, but if you are ever in MN (or are willing to take a short plane ride), Dr. Robert Wilke at Edina Plastic Surgery is terrific. I would never recommend someone without full confidence in them. He's talented, realistic, kind, and just a good guy overall. I have worked with him, as have many of my friends (and my mother's friends).

All the best, Cmonster! If I can provide you with any more information, please let me know.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 07:00:38 PM »
I don't think my post was very clear; I have not had jaw surgery (yet), nor do I know anyone who has had jaw surgery. Myself, several of my friends, and a few of my mother's friends have worked with Dr. Wilke on aesthetic endeavors that were not jaw related. I was just recommending him because I thought you were in the Midwest, and I personally think he is amazing.

If I end up with aesthetic issues after I have my bite corrected, he will be the first person I go and see, even if it's just for an honest opinion on how to proceed.

Sorry, if there was any confusion.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 06:22:47 AM »

anglii

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 10:48:35 PM »
Cmonster,

RE: "The nose bugs me, but not as much as the asymmetry and how bottom heavy (masculine) my face looks. Im looking into fat transfers/grafting to get some fullness in my face since its flatter/gaunt , and possibly some augmentation on the cheekbones to get some volume"

I experienced the same issues after my double jaw surgery. I wish I never had the surgery but I certainly wouldn't get all those additional surgeries as I have seen people who just don't look right afterwards. Asymmetries with those surgeries seem to be common.

After 30 years I have finally gotten help through neuromuscular dentistry. Just 3 short weeks have past since I got my dental orthotics and my lips and cheeks have filled out and I look more like my former self. My extreme asymmetries are gone! The muscles need to be treated. Neuromuscular dentistry is the only discipline that treats the facial muscles.

I did get the Rhino-septoplasty done 2 weeks ago because I couldn't live with the nasal deformity I was left with after the jaw surgery any longer. But everything else is a muscle issue. Even the nose was a muscle issue originally but after 30 years of straining my nose because of the jaw surgery it was so misshapen that I wanted it fixed surgically. If you opt to have your nose fixed you must find an experienced surgeon; one who specializes in nasal reconstruction or you will be very dissatisfied with the results. Expect to have an open Rhinoplasty. You will likely waste your money on a closed surgery.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:08 AM »
I'm not harping on neuromuscular dentistry, it helped my TMJ issues substantially. I started with it 9 years ago, and within 2 weeks my jaw went from clicking on both sides every time that I opened my mouth to not clicking AT ALL. That lasted about 6 years, where my jaw didn't make one single peep. For the last 3 years the left side has been a little less than ideal. It's not painful, but it's back to clicking (just on the left). From a TMJ standpoint, a serious win.

But...there's a but...it is now the reason that I need surgery. It messed up my bite. I don't regret anything (at least not yet, I will probably feel very differently if surgery goes to pot), but it's just something to be aware of.

anglii

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 11:18:53 AM »
I'm not harping on neuromuscular dentistry, it helped my TMJ issues substantially. . .

But...there's a but...it is now the reason that I need surgery. It messed up my bite. I don't regret anything (at least not yet, I will probably feel very differently if surgery goes to pot), but it's just something to be aware of

The double jaw surgery I had 30 years ago seriously messed up my bite and I regret every minute that I went through with the surgery. My teeth are so worn I have broken 6 teeth beyond repair. Their structure was so worn that the only option was removal.

Perhaps bites need continual assessment and adjustment over our lifetimes. Neuromuscular dentistry is supposed to support your optimal bite not cause you to have issues with it. I would ask what else can be going on in your situation that could be causing bite issues. Will surgery really help the situation in the long run? It did not in my case and the facial changes surgery caused have caused me much distress and misery for the last 30 years.

A 25 y.o. friend of my daughter spent over 10k for orthodontics and many years of her time, now her orthodontist is saying she needs to have her braces placed again because her bite has relapsed.

anglii

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 11:31:30 AM »
There some examples on Dr Yarmenchuk's page of people who had custom implants after jaw surgery -

http://dryaremchuk.com/english/bespoke-example.php
http://dryaremchuk.com/english/bespoke-plastic-surgery.php
http://dryaremchuk.com/english/mandible-implant-surgery.php (example 7)

Sorry but am I missing something here??? If people are needing custom implants after jaw surgery could jaw surgery not be all that it's cracked up to be???? The way I see it, once you take the plunge with jaw surgery, you might be starting a cascade of interventions needed to fix something that may never be fixable to one's satisfaction. 

LoveofScotch

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 02:15:46 PM »
Hi anglii,

I'm sorry surgery had such a bad outcome for you, I really am. But it's really great that you are feeling better thanks to neuromuscular dentistry. Again, I'm grateful for it, too.

I'm actually still technically working with a neuromuscular dentist. I've been stuck in a lower appliance from them...for the last 9 years (I have a new appliance made every 12 months; it's not the same one). It swung my lower jaw forward, and it happened to stabilize there (which is probably good because my TMJ is way better). The thing is, now my upper jaw is needing to come forward because of the "new position" that neuromuscular dentistry put my lower jaw in.

Will surgery help the situation in the long run? I have no idea; that is our million dollar question. I do know that if I don't have surgery I'll be stuck in a lower appliance forever. Everything is cost/benefit and risk/reward. I'm sure as hell not claiming to have the answers.

I hope you continue to have success!

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »
I probably wouldnt have anything major done again if it's not necessary...mostly because I dont like the idea of getting general anesthesia more than I need.  Not sure what it does to the body long-term.

BlueShark7

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 04:42:50 AM »
There some examples on Dr Yarmenchuk's page of people who had custom implants after jaw surgery -

http://dryaremchuk.com/english/bespoke-example.php
http://dryaremchuk.com/english/bespoke-plastic-surgery.php
http://dryaremchuk.com/english/mandible-implant-surgery.php (example 7)

I can't seem to find what material is used in these? Is there anyone who uses titanium for custom implants?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 05:24:33 AM »
I can't seem to find what material is used in these? Is there anyone who uses titanium for custom implants?

http://www.profilo.com.au/custom-jaw-and-chin-implants/.aspx