Author Topic: Re: Overbite Surgery for Sleep Apnea (Log)  (Read 13319 times)

pekay

Re: Overbite Surgery for Sleep Apnea (Log)
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 11:40:35 AM »
This is going to be good, can't wait to see your final results

Congrats on getting the surgery, good luck with the recovery
Chopsticks > Spoons

Daftones

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 09:53:25 PM »
Hey all.

will post progress pics tomorrw, after my second post op surgical appt.

Apparently my chin was so recessed and delicate, they only got a 6 mm movement out of it (wanted 10 mm). It shows on my profile now, and as a result they said they will be able to go in again in the fall and "finish the job"

regards

Daftones

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 02:41:59 AM »

WEEK 1 RESULTS :D

check out link to blog for more detail

http://overbite-jawsurgery.blogspot.ca/

pekay

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 08:02:55 AM »
looking pretty good for a week

What was the movement for your maxillary impaction? 4mm?
Chopsticks > Spoons

Daftones

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 10:42:59 AM »
looking pretty good for a week

What was the movement for your maxillary impaction? 4mm?

Yes it was that, exactly.

Daftones

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 12:26:39 AM »
you look good!

how's your sensation?
how do you feel generally?

Daftones

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 03:27:34 AM »
Thanks for the compliment. I was told I look like a boxer now- felt like one more before (worked as a bouncer until the surgery, I think those days are over now).

Under my right eye is completely numb down to my cheekbone, my left under eye area has feeling.

the lower lip is 100% numb, as is my chin. The bones in my chin, lower and upper jaw are constantly pulsing. this feeling is growing, along with pins and needles n the numb areas. I think I am on the right path.

I have started working out again (light light work), as well as doing school.

Check out the blog for a more detailed post!

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 05:19:52 AM »
Your looking great... So happy for you.

overbiter

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 04:20:39 PM »
Hi Fraser, I've been following your progress since you started blogging about this jaw surgery. I have exactly the same kind of profile that you used to have, so you are somewhat of an inspiration to me. I just wanted to ask you a question. I noticed that on another forum you stated that you would be getting an inch added to your jaws. Did you you mean that the summation of all your movements upper, lower and genio would be one inch? I'm asking because I feel like I could do with an inch being added to just my lower jaw. Your results are very impressive so far but I think you had about 13mm in movement. This probably looks more like 16mm with the impaction.

Anyway, you've had a great result so far, like I thought you would.

cheers

Daftones

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 01:06:22 AM »
Hey Overbiter,

Did you see me on the misc forum? haha

Originally, my movement was to be 10+mm lower jaw, with about 10-12mm chin (and impaction and upper jaw to fit). Results of my sleep apnea showed that I could tolerate less of a movement and achieve the same results, which led to me having less of a movement.

During surgery, it was found out my chin could not support a 10+mm movement, and was only moved forward 6mm. I have to go back in the fall to get it finished if desired (probably will do this if it is free).

So you are right, there was only just over half the movement projected. You can still see my chin is not prominent, but should be after the second OP. I feel like I could have more added, for sure. My surgeon explained that my chin is what makes the profile so convex, he says it was very receded and that it was what needed the most work. I remember being 13 and being told I would never look masculine and could always get plastic surgery when I grew up (what a thing to casually say to an awkward teenager).

My overbite was not severe, if yours is, then it may make sense to get that large movement?

overbiter

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 01:27:56 PM »
Yeah the misc forum  ;)

So you were due to have a larger movement previously. With the impaction that original movement would have looked truly huge. Was it your surgeons idea to reduce it in case of complications/numbness? The movement you had would be considered large by most surgeons, is that kind of change standard for sleep apnea?

I don't really have a big overbite by the way. I had teeth pulled out when I was a kid and my upper jaw reduced, so now I have two small jaws. I don't understand why orthodontists consider this a good result, or why the bastards don't think about the fact that people have to go through life looking like that when they could be helped with surgery. My jaws basically look like yours before the operation, except I have a naturally thin/lightweight skeleton, as you can imagine my head looks tiny  :(. Heads just look wrong with small jaws.

Man I can feel your pain about the never looking masculine comment. Who said that a dentist? I guess that's why you took up lifting, to change things/prove people wrong. Well at least no one can say anything like that to you now you changed it. Well done.

Daftones

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »
So you had 10mm jaw + 6 genio?

I was told I had these movements:

-7mm movement Mandible (lower jaw forward)
-6mm movement Maxilla (upper jaw forward)
-4mm movement Maxilla Impaction (upper jaw tilted up)
-6mm movement Sliding Genioplasty (chin moved forward)

So you were due to have a larger movement previously. With the impaction that original movement would have looked truly huge. Was it your surgeons idea to reduce it in case of complications/numbness? The movement you had would be considered large by most surgeons, is that kind of change standard for sleep apnea?

I don't really have a big overbite by the way. I had teeth pulled out when I was a kid and my upper jaw reduced, so now I have two small jaws. I don't understand why orthodontists consider this a good result, or why the bastards don't think about the fact that people have to go through life looking like that when they could be helped with surgery. My jaws basically look like yours before the operation, except I have a naturally thin/lightweight skeleton, as you can imagine my head looks tiny  . Heads just look wrong with small jaws.

Man I can feel your pain about the never looking masculine comment. Who said that a dentist? I guess that's why you took up lifting, to change things/prove people wrong. Well at least no one can say anything like that to you now you changed it. Well done.

In cases with sleep apnea, they recomend a 10mm+ movement of the lower mandible. My sleep apnea wasn't severe, so the surgeon opted for a less drastic movement (and thus less chance of complication).

Your story is the same as mine to a T. I have poor jaw genetics from both parents, and from a young age was told I would need this surgery. It was my dad who didn't like the idea, and instead opted for me to have extractions + braces when I was 13. I had ortho's want to give me headgear, to further retard my upper jaw growth to match my lower jaw- so your comment about the ortho not caring about the long term consequence also rings true.

When I was 18, I was 150 lb at my height (6'4''). I take lifting and nutrition pretty serious, and it has been a battle to put on weight. Bodybuilding has its roots in body dimorphism, and comments like that directed me towards the pursuit of a masculine physique. It helped a ton, by the way.

Are you going to bite the bullet and go through jaw surgery? Our cases seem identical, and would probably proceed the same way.

As for my chin:
They weren't able to move my chin the distance they wanted (thin bone), and thus it was moved half the distance wanted. I talked to my surgeon today, and he said that he can finish my chin for free, in the fall. I just need to develop hard bone before he can chop it again! I am excited, as I am not overly impressed with the result currently. 

sanddunes

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 08:58:27 PM »
Wow you look much improved after the surgery, the added vertical height from your front-on photos looks really good.  I can kind of see from your most recent side profile why you might want your chin to be a little longer though. 

When you say they couldn't move the chin the full 10mm because of weak bone, what does that mean exactly?  Aren't they just using plates to screw the bone in no matter how far it is advanced?

overbiter

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 12:51:40 PM »
Are you going to bite the bullet and go through jaw surgery? Our cases seem identical, and would probably proceed the same way.

As for my chin:
They weren't able to move my chin the distance they wanted (thin bone), and thus it was moved half the distance wanted. I talked to my surgeon today, and he said that he can finish my chin for free, in the fall. I just need to develop hard bone before he can chop it again! I am excited, as I am not overly impressed with the result currently. 

Yes, I do hope to get jaw surgery. I'm going the sleep apnea route too. At the moment I'm using a CPAP machine. I have to prove that I can not tolerate that therapy before I can move on to other procedures, like jaw surgery.

Before I decided on jaw surgery I was looking into genioplastys done as a lone surgery. I saw some before and after shots of a guy who used to have a very weak chin, basically no chin at all. He had a double genio where they make two cuts to the bone at the same time, and use two sets of plates and screws. He had it moved forward about 9mm with a couple of mm downward movement. The after shots looked really good, strong chin, strong jawline. If you're not happy with your chin maybe ask for an extra couple of mm of downward movement. In my opinion your jawline looks good now but I can understand your feelings about your chin.