Author Topic: tmj splints  (Read 2460 times)

trigeminalneuralgia

tmj splints
« on: September 08, 2012, 07:49:52 AM »
does anyone know about tmj splints

i hear mixed stories.  some people say you ahve to spend a lot of money, the cheap ones dont work and others ive read have spent a ton of money but they still like the cheap otc ones.

are you supposed to INSTANTLY feel relief wearing one?  or does it take a few weeks? 

neferkitti

• Private
Re: tmj splints
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 02:17:57 PM »
does anyone know about tmj splints
i hear mixed stories.  some people say you ahve to spend a lot of money, the cheap ones dont work and others ive read have spent a ton of money but they still like the cheap otc ones.
are you supposed to INSTANTLY feel relief wearing one?  or does it take a few weeks? 

I got some relief when I wore a acrylic splint (prescribed/expensive). Had to have it adjusted (shaved) every 2-3 weeks for 6 months to find a good resting position. My bite is/was so messed up that I found quick pretty quick relief (couple days to a week). Unfortunately, my ortho decided to build up the molar regions (added more acrylic), which led to much pain at the surgical break site. Took me many months to recover from that. Apparently, my jaw bone could not handle anymore bite pressure. That said, I do think that I would benefit from another splint. There would have to be less bite contact on my bad side, though. I'd recommend it as long as you're under the care of a good doctor. Finding one is the hard part.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »
im so sorry!  that sounds like a pain in the ass but at least you did get relief in the beginning.  i could see myself..trying convince myself a splint feels okay and then it doesn't and wasting a ton of money.

i almost wanna just stick a towel in my mouth...you know what i mean :)

finding a good doc is ridiculous especially when it seems anyone decent is not covered by insurance.  im not sure if any of this tmj stuff is covered by aetna, which is ridiculous to me bc it's pretty well established it causes head aches and eye pain.  i would consider one for a few hundred bucks but the guy i went to charged 1200.

im going to put a bunch of magnesium cream on the masseter muscle.  im grateful this is a muscular problem...not nerve

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »
im so sorry!  that sounds like a pain in the ass but at least you did get relief in the beginning.  i could see myself..trying convince myself a splint feels okay and then it doesn't and wasting a ton of money.
i almost wanna just stick a towel in my mouth...you know what i mean :)
finding a good doc is ridiculous especially when it seems anyone decent is not covered by insurance.  im not sure if any of this tmj stuff is covered by aetna, which is ridiculous to me bc it's pretty well established it causes head aches and eye pain.  i would consider one for a few hundred bucks but the guy i went to charged 1200.
im going to put a bunch of magnesium cream on the masseter muscle.  im grateful this is a muscular problem...not nerve

No worries. It is what it is.

Wearing the splint allowed my jaw to relax. None of my teeth mesh and I have a slight underbite, so wearing this both even out my bite and freed my lower teeth from clashing with the uppers. Cost was about $1800 after I talked ortho down from $2500. The cost is for the many splint adjustment visits not necessarily the piece of acrylic.

Yeah, I know what you mean about wanting stuff a towel in my mouth. Might just do that  :D.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 07:31:45 PM »
 :D  i defintely have..... one night i was pressing around my jaw too much and i think i triggered this massive sinus headache.  i drank a bunch of wine and tried to sleep with a towel in my mouth hahah

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 02:46:45 PM »
:D  i defintely have..... one night i was pressing around my jaw too much and i think i triggered this massive sinus headache.  i drank a bunch of wine and tried to sleep with a towel in my mouth hahah

Had to resort to the towel the other night   :D. It worked!

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 05:59:19 AM »
nice!!!  i love towels, i use one at the base of my head as a "neck pillow"