Author Topic: psyllium  (Read 2658 times)

treevernal

• Private
psyllium
« on: October 15, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »
Anyone take psyllium for bowel/intestinal health?  Ive just started and i feel really good (along with a good diet of course).  Im not planning on being on it long term but I figure to help stabilize my digestive system before surgery it could help...ive always had minor bowel issues, it runs in my family.

treevernal

• Private
Re: psyllium
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 07:55:37 PM »
No bowel movements for a week?  Yikes.  Must feel Amazing when you finally do go for the first time after surgery.

CK

• Private
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »
No bowel movements for a week?  Yikes.  Must feel Amazing when you finally do go for the first time after surgery.

uhh, not really. it's very infrequent because of the liquid diet. no solid foods for awhile.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 08:58:01 PM »

I highly doubt it will feel amazing --after my wisdom teeth extractions I was on percocet and didn't do number 2 for 3 or 4 days and when I did, let's just say it was extremely hard and VERY VERY painful. :  (
I can only imagine how difficult it must be if you're held up for a week! Ugh...another great thing to look forward to.

Antbee

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 10:08:40 PM »
I've actually been taking clear fiber that dissolves in water or juice instead of psyllium because its particle- free and you're not allowed particles for the first couple of weeks.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:48:07 AM »
i have read that taking fiber for constipation is a myth, im not sure if it'd help with gut health

but it seems like if you're eating a lot of liquid foods, especially liquid vegetables it would be a good idea...to make you more compact.

i dunno.  whatever makes you REGULAR. 

any pills you take aren't going to move through you which is bad, so i guess you guys take liquid or sub lingual supplements during this time?

Antbee

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 06:55:47 AM »
I'm less worried about gut flora and fauna etc than keeping my system moving while taking pain meds. I've also been drinking prune juice. I think fiber three times a day at least cant hurt.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »
I'm less worried about gut flora and fauna etc than keeping my system moving while taking pain meds. I've also been drinking prune juice. I think fiber three times a day at least cant hurt.

Prune juice is a great idea!  Also gonna take cranberry juice to help avoid getting a uti from the catheter.