Author Topic: What is the cost of a non issured lower jaw bsso or distraction osteogenesis?  (Read 5565 times)

prairiehouse

Hi,

What is the cost of a non issured lower jaw bsso or distraction osteogenesis?

I'll post pictures shortly so that you guys can see my jaw and tell me if a sliding genioplasty might do the trick.  I am concerned that it would look weird given the fact that I already have a normal chin though.

My bite could be improved (moved forward slightly), but it doesn't really pose any functional problems.  I have slight TMJ, locking and pain, but I doubt insurance will cover it because of that.

The problem is essentially cosmetic.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 12:43:41 PM by prairiehouse »

treevernal

• Private
It will be a vastly different price from surgeon to surgeon.  Your best bet is to consult with a few and get their feedback on what you need both functionally and aesthetically.

Hi,

What is the cost of a non issured lower jaw bsso or distraction osteogenesis?

I'll post pictures shortly so that you guys can see my jaw and tell me if a sliding genioplasty might do the trick.  I am concerned that it would look weird given the fact that I already have a normal chin though.

My bite could be improved (moved forward slightly), but it doesn't really pose any functional problems.  I have slight TMJ, locking and pain, but I doubt insurance will cover it because of that.

The problem is essentially cosmetic.

prairiehouse

okay, here are the photos.  I feel like jaw surgery would be excessive, and I would rather not have to wait a year or more to get the surgery done.  The reason I was (and still am considering it if it's my best option) is because it seems like jaw surgery would be more likely to give a better result.  Maybe this is incorrect though.

Anyway, the first two side pictures are what my jaw/chin area looks like at rest (the second side picture at rest is with my neck slightly more purposely relaxed).  The second two are when I tense my tongue against the roof of my mouth (when the skin raises up.  I'd like to achieve something similar to this).  I figured that if I had a vertically lower jaw (or a lower and possibly longer chin), that the skin would stretch in such a way that my double chin would disappear (some pictures that I've seen have produced this result, when I just vertically lower my jaw my double chin disappears, so I'm wondering if just lowering my chin vertically, and possibly lengthening it just a bit horizontally would produce a similar effect).  Would something like a platysmaplasty maybe give a better result?  I'm concerned though that I would get that botched looking neck lift look.

I've seen many pictures of people with seemingly much more recessed chin/jaws, much worse bites (mine has never been corrected but is essentially fine), etc but that don't have a double chin like mine.  As I said I'm only 23, so this will really only get worse.

I should mention that my body fat % is no more than 15% so it's not a fat issue.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/549/chchfr.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img812/2518/chchsd1.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img26/8013/chchsd4.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img90/760/chchsd3.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img521/493/chchsd2.png

CK

• Private
i dont see any double chin. your profile is fine but your teeth are out of the picture. no one can give you an opinion based on those pics.

prairiehouse

The second and third pictures show what I mean.

Maybe double chin isn't the correct term, but rather hanging skin skin/muscle?  I've had it pointed out several times.  I'm wondering if I can get it to look similar to the last two pictures.  Also the front view is worse in normal lighting (as it reflects off my shirt).

CK

• Private
The second and third pictures show what I mean.

Maybe double chin isn't the correct term, but rather hanging skin skin/muscle?  I've had it pointed out several times.  I'm wondering if I can get it to look similar to the last two pictures.  Also the front view is worse in normal lighting (as it reflects off my shirt).

not sure if jaw surgery can change the soft tissue in that way. in any case, without seeing the teeth and upper jaw no one can give an honest opinion. unless you have an underbite people would need to see where the lower jaw is relative to the upper. better off just consulting with surgeons rather than anonymous people on the internet lol.

Hellojoe

It's impossible to give any advice without seeing the upper jaw, lips, nose and forehead as well. You could always blur out the rest of your face.

ticktickatick

What you have to worry about even more when you're uninsured (or if your insurance doesn't cover it) is the hospital facility fee. One surgeon I went to charged $5,000 for lower jaw only. However, the hospital facility fee without staying overnight was $18,000. If I had to stay overnight, the facility fee would be $30,000.

You will need to find doctors who have their own surgical suite (they bring in a contracted anesthesiologist) to avoid this fee. The ones I know of are Dr. Kevin McBride (Texas), Dr. Stosich (Utah), and Dr. Dale Bloomquist (Washington). Bloomquist doesn't have his own suite, but he has a special deal with the UW hospital.

retrudedmandible

I was quoted $14,876 for a mandibular osteotomy.  Genioplasty, $6,081.25.  This does not include hospital fees.  This is based on having the surgery done in their office. 

December 2013, I was quoted $14,586 for a single jaw surgery (we did not discuss genioplasty) and 2-jaw procedure being $23,500, not including hospital fees.
Insanity = Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein