Author Topic: What is wrong with my lower third?  (Read 8324 times)

gob

What is wrong with my lower third?
« on: April 05, 2014, 04:01:35 AM »
I wanted to get some advice on harmonizing my lower third.

I'm not sure if I suffer from mild bimax, as my teeth are straight vertically and align almost perfectly. But I think it's the gums that protrude and not the teeth. Is that normal?

Also with the chin, it doesn't meet the line from forehead-lips. I didn't know if a chin implant/augmentation would be sufficient to make up for the convexity. Does it look like I have a recessed jaw?

I was thinking about the first surgery I would need to get done that would bring the most benefit. Would a lip reduction also be in the cards?

notrain

• Private
Re: What is wrong with my lower third?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 04:12:07 AM »
from my layman's opinion, it appears to be a combination of bidentoalveolar (not bimaxillary) protrusion and a somewhat weak (not recessed) lower jaw.

bidentoalveolar protrusion means your lips get pushed outwards from teeth and gums, which is common for people of your race (no racism).

the best course of action would be to consult with a maxfac and tell him your concerns.

my recommendation would be a conservative genio to harmonize the profile and (if it bothers you that much) orthodontic treatment for the lip issue. this can be treated by extractions of teeth and retraction of the anterior segment in both jaws, but i wouldn't do that.

you'd have a caucasian profile on a black face, which would be plain weird looking. lastly, i wouldn't get any soft tissue plastic surgery as you look above average already.

gob

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 04:44:25 AM »
Would a chin implant with wings to widen the chin solve the issue?

notrain

• Private
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 05:04:05 AM »
probably. but you are young and implants are not for eternity. i'd go with a genio or chin wing as these procedures don't use implanst.

gob

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 05:07:39 AM »
I would think the genio would make the chin more pointy and narrow? That's not a result I want, I'd like for the chin to be more square/wider while also projecting.

falcao

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 05:16:38 AM »
This may help with the protrusion you perceive, depending on the bite and your starting position, even without extractions. (yeah, I know I'm bringing TADs again in the discussion :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7HjqIfACYE
However, I think there is nothing wrong with you. You are way above average already.
Regarding chin implants, there are many different types and materials. What may not be for you is the so called "chin button" implant. But there are those that wrap around nicely as well. Be warned they are very risky. I had to remove mine due to bone erosion.
With genio - again, there are different techniques.

gob

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 05:29:57 AM »
My problem Is I feel I lack masculinity and I look too young for my age (21), I was wondering if the lower jaw advancement would eliminate both of those issues. I also feel like my jaw is wide, yet the chin is narrow because of the concave nature of my mandible.

falcao

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 05:42:23 AM »
I have almost exactly the same frontal view look as you do, however, mine is a complication precisely of a lower jaw surgery (BSSO). The way to solve it  surgically will require maxillary impaction (search for this on youtube) to allow for the mandible to rotate counterclockwise (up, bringing the chin forward as well). So, I understand your position, however, I would not recommend this procedure to you. Way to invasive.

BSSO alone may not help you, but instead can make things worse, as BSSO without impaction will make your face even longer.

If you insist, there may be other solutions, including custom-designed implants that they can design from CT scans of your jaw.

But only if you wish to pursue modelling/acting etc. Otherwise, trust me when I say, many guys on this board with real issues would kill to look like you. Even with the weakish lower jaw.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 11:35:32 AM »
I wouldnt do anything man, you look good and you look your age to me. Im 25 and look like im 19 lol, but that because of my excess verticle growth of my upper jaw. You have a good jaw line, just leave it be.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 01:10:49 PM »
My problem Is I feel I lack masculinity
Nope.  Your face is masculine and bone structure is way better than average.  Lip reduction?  No no no no no.  It's not unmasculine, and to be honest so many people these days are mixed race (I think you are?) that (thank god) we are finally we are moving away from this stupid 'white' beauty ideal.  Most male models have full lips anyway

and I look too young for my age (21),
Nope, disagree

You look good.  I don't think you should do anything.  You're a few mm of lower jaw away from 'model perfect bone structure' but I'm talking a really small amount.

An implant with wings or genio could give you a few mm more projection but you'd have to do it carefully to make sure you didn't get any additional chin length.

To be honest though, most of us here would be very happy to look like you

PloskoPlus

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 03:33:41 PM »
Your chin is a tiny bit under projected horizontally, but for FWIW so is Brad Pitt's. But the height is good, the width is good. When you are 35, you'll thank your lucky stars for looking younger.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 04:57:54 PM »
I see what you're talking about with your chin, but only because you pointed it out. I would never ever have noticed that, had you not drawn attention to it.

Good god, don't let anyone attempt to reduce your lips. No, just no.

Looking young will only be a benefit to you (or anyone) as you age. This is a good thing. For some reason, if, for example, you have a career where this is momentarily problematic, I would suggest seeing a slew of good plastic doctors to possibly address your chin.

You really do look great! I would not touch a damn thing.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 11:55:19 PM »
You look good.  I don't think you should do anything. 

I agree. Obviously your face isn't high on the masculinity scale as your lips, eyes, and forehead are quite feminine, however you really can't fix those and attempting to do so will make you look even worse.

There's too much to lose (poor result, botched surgery) and far too little to gain. Basic cost benefit analysis tells me you should accept how you look. If anything your biggest flaw is your forehead (angle, lack of brow ridge, high hairline) and eyes (exposed upper eyelid, and quite large). These two things are also would contribute to making you look younger, as they are quite neotenous features. That said, you look your age. I'd peg you as 21 any day. Your flaws can't even really be fixed, so better off just learning to accept them.

01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 12:48:33 AM »

I agree. Obviously your face isn't high on the masculinity scale as your lips, eyes, and forehead are quite feminine, however you really can't fix those and attempting to do so will make you look even worse.

There's too much to lose (poor result, botched surgery) and far too little to gain. Basic cost benefit analysis tells me you should accept how you look. If anything your biggest flaw is your forehead (angle, lack of brow ridge, high hairline) and eyes (exposed upper eyelid, and quite large). These two things are also would contribute to making you look younger, as they are quite neotenous features. That said, you look your age. I'd peg you as 21 any day. Your flaws can't even really be fixed, so better off just learning to accept them.

The brow ridge bossing can be done with HA paste (but it may raise the eyebrows!).  The upper eyelids will drop with age.  The OP can certainly do all this, but to what end?  He's already good looking, he'll be just a different kind of good looking, provided everything goes to plan.  Is it worth the risk that things don't got to plan?  I dunno.  The thing is, most on this forum are legit deformed (skeletal malocclusion).  If you ain't deformed, no need for maxfac.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 05:03:01 AM »
you may be one of the biggest morons to write on this forum. you look great idiot. you have no problems.