Author Topic: Jaw surgery with NHS  (Read 2764 times)

immisa

Jaw surgery with NHS
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:31:42 AM »
Hi,

I came accross this site a few months back (around about the same time I discovered I was/am a mouth breather).

I've had braces with the NHS before (from 16-18, i'm 20 now) and my teeth still protrude and bite feels very uncomfortable. I have a narrow, high palate, long face, lips don't seal, nose has deviated, etc. My dentist told me I would need surgery to fix my TMJ a couple years back but now refuses to refer me to a surgeon?

My question is, how would one go about getting jaw surgery on the NHS? My dentist has told me to ask my GP to refer me. My GP just sent me back to the dentist. It is frustrating especially since I know I have the whole Long face syndrome thing.

Hope someone can help me out, thanks for reading...

indigochild

Re: Jaw surgery with NHS
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 09:43:49 AM »
Ask to see a different GP ? Tell them you are in pain and have difficulty chewing.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:52:42 AM by indigochild »

immisa

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »
I guess what i'm saying is. Since my GP and dentist don't really believe in my problem (mouth breathing --> change in skeletal structure etc) would I be able to see a surgeon directly. Or get a referral from a private dentist?

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
Switch to a different dentist or better yet, get an appointment with an NHS orthodontist, not a dentist!

It would probably help to find the maxfac surgeons at your local hospitals and try and find out who does their ortho work.  These are the orthos who are most likely to refer you

immisa

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 02:39:57 AM »
Thank you. Makes sense.

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 01:08:23 PM »
i feel for you, your situation is the same as mine

immisa

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 06:04:10 AM »
Hmmm you had any luck trying to sort it out? I've given up on my dentist. Tried to join different dentists yesterday but they all denied me? Apparently I have to de-register from my current one first or something...

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »
I went my local hospital Friday night due to my jaw locking up with tmj problems, grinding, clicking, popping, dizziness.  There was no one there who knew my symptoms, told them i needs to see a maxilo facial surgeon asap.  A surgeon phoned me the next day told me to speak to my gp told her this would take weeks i'm in a lot of pain and if i drive i could have a serious accident, she has got me in on Friday to see a surgeon letter came today, i will tell them all my problems.  I have realised recently if your condyles are not in the right position your lower jaw will change position this will effect your whole  breathing your tongue will drop low instead of on the palate and cause mouth breathing instead of nose breathing and effects you speech.  Mine is f**ked, everytime i close my mouth i am in pain.  I'm getting as many consultations as i can asap.

If i were you i would get a consultation privately if the surgeon says there is a problem go back to the gp with their write up and go from there.

immisa

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 06:48:22 AM »
Damn backward lowerjaw I hope everything works out for you. Thanks for the advice.