Author Topic: Nasolabial folds after jaw surgery  (Read 5469 times)

screwsandplates

• Private
Nasolabial folds after jaw surgery
« on: May 05, 2014, 06:58:59 PM »
I am 4 months post op, and I seem to have developed nasolabial folds. I thought it was swelling, but when I asked my ortho what he thought, he was like "I don't think it is". I forgot to ask my surgeon about it at my last consult.

It looks very odd and unattractive. I didn't have these before surgery. I am young (20), had my upper jaw moved forward (so you'd think it would have the opposite effect). The only thing I can think that would cause an aged appearance is my medium-deep acne scarring, which thinned the skin a bit. Is anyone else experiencing new nasolabial folds?

Personally, I feel the swelling still, mostly in my jowls, lower cheeks, and around the mouth. It fluctuates throughout the day.

Give me the worst case scenario please. I really hope it's not permanent.

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: Nasolabial folds after jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:44:13 PM »
I would've thought advancing would improve them too.

In any case: Sunscreen, tazorac, and low body fat are you best bets are fighting them off.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:43:56 PM »
I don't understand this, either. I know others have talked about this, but like you mentioned advancing things should have the opposite effect. Advancing the bones should support the soft tissue...so I don't get this. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about anything like this until the one year mark; everything might just shake out beautifully!

Worst case would be the following. You end up a lifelong slave to fillers, or you could do a fat transfer, or potentially radio frequency treatments, etc.

For now, I would just patiently wait (I acknowledge this is frustrating advice). I would also optimize your diet, skin care, and potentially supplements.

Cheers!

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:05:53 PM »
I don't understand this, either. I know others have talked about this, but like you mentioned advancing things should have the opposite effect. Advancing the bones should support the soft tissue...so I don't get this. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about anything like this until the one year mark; everything might just shake out beautifully!

Worst case would be the following. You end up a lifelong slave to fillers, or you could do a fat transfer, or potentially radio frequency treatments, etc.

For now, I would just patiently wait (I acknowledge this is frustrating advice). I would also optimize your diet, skin care, and potentially supplements.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how much weight affects the nasolabial folds. I always had some really slight ones, but since cutting down a lot not only have other facial features become more prominent but that area is now completely flat like you see in many models. Not a hint of a nasolabial fold. So definitely cutting weight would be one of the first things to try, if you ask me.

What's this radio frequency treatment? What does it do?
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 05:01:52 AM »
So definitely cutting weight would be one of the first things to try, if you ask me.

I had none when my cheeks were chubby.  Weight loss made them come out.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 09:42:28 AM »
Radiofrequency (RF) can be utilized to both tighten the appearance of the skin and also reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Many cosmetic dermatologists will offer it, as will skin clinics within a plastic surgeons office. (Please don't get stuff like this done at some random pop-up clinic.)

It's not really the first line of defense for nasolabial folds, I was just trying to make a point that there are tons of treatments available for the skin problems that ail us. They are often expensive, and whether they will work or not is a bit of a coin toss...I just wanted screwsandplates to know that there are options.

ticktickatick

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 07:55:56 AM »
Radiofrequency (RF) can be utilized to both tighten the appearance of the skin and also reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Many cosmetic dermatologists will offer it, as will skin clinics within a plastic surgeons office. (Please don't get stuff like this done at some random pop-up clinic.)

It's not really the first line of defense for nasolabial folds, I was just trying to make a point that there are tons of treatments available for the skin problems that ail us. They are often expensive, and whether they will work or not is a bit of a coin toss...I just wanted screwsandplates to know that there are options.

Personally I would go for plain IPL/BBL not RF. Google "RF and fat loss". Yes everything is more negative online but RF seems to be very finicky and personally I wouldn't trust it with my own face.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 08:29:04 AM »
Yes, that's a really good point. Thermage, for example, has had several odd cases of fat loss in the face (not in a good way). Obviously, it has also produced some great results, but it's a risk.

tyler18

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »
Losing weight will make nasolabial folds even worse. I used to be really fat, dropped the weight fast, and developed nasolabial folds. I think at least in my case, it had to do with the tissue being inflated and deflated. Within the first week of using retin-A (0.1%), the folds all but disappeared.

I might have a recessed maxilla, although it doesn't look like it. So it may not always be caused by bone deficiencies; that was my point in this post.

I would recommend trying topical retinoids before fillers.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 06:30:54 AM »
Losing weight will make nasolabial folds even worse. I used to be really fat, dropped the weight fast, and developed nasolabial folds. I think at least in my case, it had to do with the tissue being inflated and deflated. Within the first week of using retin-A (0.1%), the folds all but disappeared.

I might have a recessed maxilla, although it doesn't look like it. So it may not always be caused by bone deficiencies; that was my point in this post.

I would recommend trying topical retinoids before fillers.

Yes, weight loss can make them worse because of the volume loss and subsequent skin sagging.  In this case retinoids, peels, lasers etc will help as they will increase the skin collagen and tighten things up

However, swelling could make the worse, too.  Look at kids - chubby faces, nasolabial folds!  I have a fat face and nasolabials, but not other wrinkles.  Volume in the lower part of the face especially can make them bad