General Category > Emotional Support

Double Jaw Surgery Relapse

<< < (2/17) > >>

treevernal:
My surgeon is so concerned about relapse and my joints that im still in braces nearly 1.5 years after surgery.

elysium87:

--- Quote from: treevernal on May 08, 2014, 12:54:20 PM ---My surgeon is so concerned about relapse and my joints that im still in braces nearly 1.5 years after surgery.

--- End quote ---

How do braces prevent the jaws moving? I understand that they may prevent orthodentic relapse. I was in braces for 3 years prior to surgery and one year after, so 4 years in total.

treevernal:
With the braces on im able to wear bands that hold the teeth together at night.

elysium87:

--- Quote from: treevernal on May 08, 2014, 01:49:00 PM ---With the braces on im able to wear bands that hold the teeth together at night.

--- End quote ---

Ahh I see, I did wear bands but only for a few months after operation. I was told that these were only required to hold things in position whilst bones healed.

treevernal:
That is true.  In my case though, if the lower jaw starts to "slip" back extra bands can provide bite-reinforcement while the tmjs stabilize.  For some reason my joints have taken longer than average to stabilize but so far no relapse which is good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version