Author Topic: Double Jaw Surgery  (Read 4175 times)

notalexi

Double Jaw Surgery
« on: May 13, 2014, 02:24:47 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Alexi and I am 17 years old due to have Double Jaw Surgery and chin correction to fix my overbite sometime before I turn 18 this year (November)

I have been quite stressed lately over what I may or may not look like after the surgery, even still after looking at so many other people's outcomes. My surgeon says that the movements will be very small (Tiny for the upper) and that it will be a nice subtle change. Just thought that I would ask anyone who has had this surgery to correct a similar issue what kind of aesthetics related changes they have noticed post procedure? Thank you so much! Xxx  :-*

P.S- If anyone was wondering what I look like I will probably post a few photos of myself when I get an actual date for the surgery, but in the mean time quite a few people have told me that I look a lot like this girl in the link below (Just so you can get a rough idea haha) http://www.mandpmodels.com/model/josephin

Tiny

• Private
Re: Double Jaw Surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »

I have been quite stressed lately over what I may or may not look like after the surgery, even still after looking at so many other people's outcomes. My surgeon says that the movements will be very small (Tiny for the upper) and that it will be a nice subtle change.

quite a few people have told me that I look a lot like this girl in the link below (Just so you can get a rough idea haha) http://www.mandpmodels.com/model/josephin

Very small movements + + subtle change + lots of people telling you that you look like a girl who is a model = why exactly are you doing surgery?!?

Not to throw shade but I don't really get how you can have an overbite bad enough to warrant surgery and still look like a model.

Most of us here are looking for significant changes and larger movements and our bite issues are often resulting in visible obvious deficiencies in upper/lower/both jaws.  We are doing the surgery for significant bite issues or significant cosmetic issues or both.  I think it's unusual to have an overbite bad enough to warrant surgery and not be pretty visually recessed. If your overbite isn't that bad, and you want a subtle change, then you might be better off with a genio.  If they're doing BSSO and chin surgery then IMO it cannot be that subtle an advancement - if it was, they wouldn't be doing both. 

Anyway if you're getting trimax then I'm going to assume that your lower jaw is visibly a bit recessed but the rest of your bone structure is great (seeing as you like like this model), in which case you should look stunning post surgery

notalexi

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 03:42:18 PM »
Hmm, it was my orthodontist as well as my parents that decided I were to receive jaw surgery once the the teeth were straightened with braces (I got braces and an expander almost three years ago from now, didn't have the expander for too long. The reason as to why I have had my braces on for so long is because we didn't get private insurance to have the surgery when I was ready so now I have had to wait a year and a half to have this surgery through the public system)

At one point last year me and my Mum decided that perhaps I didn't need it but he told us that he highly recommended me getting it as he had already prepped the lower jaw for advancement and that originally my overbite wasn't that deep before but is now worse due to them "preparing it for the surgery" He tells me if I don't get the surgery now that my teeth could possibly relapse as a consequence? (My front teeth were actually pretty straight even though my palate was a little bit narrow, the crowding of my bottom teeth were the primary issue)

Originally I was only supposed to have the lower surgery and genio for my small chin, but after meeting with my surgeon we decided that we should go with the double because when he asked me what I didn't like about my face, I told him that I thought that I showed too much teeth. He then agreed that he could do an impaction but that the measurements would be tiny. He told me that the measurements would not be that significant even on the lower jaw. Do you think that maybe I should ask him if we could do the only the lower jaw only seeing as I still have a choice? Thank you so much for replying my love x 

By the way in regards to the model thing you can see here that her overbite could still be considered a bit deep, and mine is pretty much exactly like that http://instagram.com/p/al19vaP36i/

I will post photos of my actual self soon enough so you can see.  :)

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »
When you say you show too much teeth, do you mean at rest? Showing some teeth, especially in a female is youthful looking, so make the impaction is very minimal.

notalexi

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 04:08:15 PM »
@Nrelax1 Yeah at rest I think that I do, pretty much the same as the girl in the pictures. The surgeon said he likes to leave girls just a little bit longer toothed and he showed me with his fingers by pushing my top lip down to show how much he would impact. It was a very, very small amount. From what he says I would assume that he thinks it would just be a nice little "polish off" to having the lower jaw worked on, he says that people will know that something is different about me but it would be very subtle. He also thinks that it may "mature" me a little bit, is this because of the impaction? Or would the lower jaw/chin have something to do with it as well x

Oh and while we are here discussing how much weight would I possibly lose from having the surgery or how much weight did you guys lose? I am tall and around 50kg/110pounds if that helps x

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »
Well good, as long as the surgeon acknowledged not to impact too much. Im a male and having an impaction, and that was the first thing my surgeon said. Not to impact too much.

And for you question, all depends on how much calories you intake after the surgery. When I first met my surgeon he said some guy hit an all time high out of his patients of losing 25 lbs in the first like two weeks. Ive tried gaining weight before hand, but it kind of sucks that I just recently dropped 10 lbs from not eating as much as usual. So trying to gain some back. It seems most people lose between 10-15 lbs. The ranges are all differently obviously.

notalexi

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 04:32:24 PM »
To be honest after reading what you guys are saying so far it's making me reconsider whether I want the impaction or not, I'm gonna have to talk about it with my surgeon but yeah I think at this stage the lower jaw only plus chin might just be the way to go. But I don't know we'll just have to see. And as for the weight thing a lady who used to work in orthodontics that I met once says that she thinks I could lose up to 15kgs depending on how my body reacts but I am already naturally quite thin and rarely ever put on weight at all!  :-\ Are you having the surgery for an overbite or an underbite Nrelax11?

Thank you so much for inputting by the way xxx

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 04:58:28 PM »
Yea really think about whether you should have the impaction or not.

I originally went to my surgeon for my lip incompetence and gummy smile, but now im seeing if i need my lower jaw advanced. See i had braces when i was around your age, and they never really fixed my overbite. They basically flared my teeth forward to close it. So ive been in braces now to open my overbite back up and see how big it is. Im probably aslo have my upper advanced too so, id imagine in they did that, id have to have my lower advanced too. My last ortho appointment is this coming tuesday before I set a surgery date. Should be sometime in June though.

notalexi

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 07:04:38 PM »
Just another quick question for anybody who has the time to answer, have any of you noticed that your lips have become wider and or changed within their position and overall appearance post surgery? My surgeon says that the lips probably won't look any different as to how they do now but I can't help but to see if anyone's did (subtly or significantly) after undergoing their procedure as I really don't want my lips to widen/thin/change at all to be honest! Thank you Xxx

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 07:10:49 PM »
From what others have said, for upper jaw advancement its really hard to predict. Some people say it will thin, and others said there upper lip thickened. I guess your surgeon can do a v-y stitch to help so that the upper lip wont thin

notalexi

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 07:21:36 PM »
Well considering my upper jaw movement is going to be minimal as we already discussed before hopefully enough it won't really make any difference at all to the appearance just like he said  :) he did say something about some of his patients saying that they had noticed that the corners of the lips turned down slightly but they didn't see it as a bad thing? It's more so the lips widening that I am really concerned about because right now they are curled and pouty and I don't want to lose that for a flat and shapeless look! I wonder if the movement of the lower jaw and chin has any effect on the appearance of the lips, hopefully someone who has already had the surgery can give us somewhat of an insight

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 07:27:25 PM »
Yea I know what your talking about with the corners turning downwards. Ive seen that in a few after photos.

Well according to one memeber on her, who I believ had both upper and lower advancement, their lower lip thinned and upped thickened. That is what I want since my lower lip is somewhat on the bigger side. I dont really know much about the widening though. Maybe someone else can chime in
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:48:56 PM by nrelax11 »

notalexi

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 07:39:58 PM »
Would you say the mouth corner thing was significant or just really subtle? (Sorry for burdening you with all of my questions hehe) And yess just waiting for someone who has undergone the procedure to post!

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 08:01:25 PM »
Notalexi, what is your facial projection like from your side profile? If your having subtle movement's,  im guessing your not too recessed.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 09:06:02 PM »
Oh nice, they opened up your overbite too :) Its done wonders for me lookwise...not lol but its necessary for my surgery.