Author Topic: JAW SURGERY GONE WRONG-From underbite to asymmetrycal overbite  (Read 14807 times)

Albie94

Hi guys, I'm very sad about my experience with jaw surgery.
I'm 19 years old and I got le fort I osteotomy 5 weeks ago to correct my underbite. My lower jaw is asymmetrycal and the surgeon didn't perform surgery on it because he thought that I could live just fine with it. At the beginning I was supposed to get upper jaw advancement and lower jaw reduction but he changed his plan three weekes before the surgery. he was like: "you're a tall guy, you've got big shoulders, I dont see you with a smaller lower jaw" he also promised my he was gonna fill my cheeck bones with some of my fat to armonize my new face, wich has been ruined.
I cry everyday, I can't even look at myself in the mirror.
He inclinated my upper jaw on one side to match with my lower, wich is asymmetrycal so both of them are now messed up.
When I asked him about the middle line of my teeth wich doesnt match anymore with the middle line of my face he told me it was fine and so I thought I was crazy.
two weeks later as the swelling went down I went to his office and I told me that something was wrong and he told me that he decentrate my upper jaw to fit my lower jaw, but he never told me that I was gonna look this asymmetrycal after the surgery, otherwise I wouldn't have done it.
he told me that he's willing to fix my jaw with a double jaw surgery after the summer but I dont wanna see him anymore, I seriously would be able to hurt him with my same hands.
he moved my upper jaw foward 10 millimeters and now I have and overbite and both of my jaws are slanted on the left side of my face.
Did anyone have my same experience? Should I look for another sorgeon and fix the problem asap or just wait till my bones are completely healed?

Modigliani

• Private
Re: JAW SURGERY GONE WRONG-From underbite to asymmetrycal overbite
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:54:09 AM »
Your surgeon sounds like a dick, I'm not surprised you don't want him touching your face again.

Are there any other surgeons in your area that you could get second and third opinions from?

Albie94

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:57:03 AM »
here's pics of my x-rays and my cepth's numbers

[attachment deleted by admin]

Albie94

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 08:01:14 AM »
yeah There's one wich I e-mailed today..but I live in Sardinia, wich is a small italian island...Im gonna go talk to another one that works in Verona..a friend of mine told me he worked on cases like mine wich were treated in the wrong way...

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 08:08:41 AM »
Sandro Pelo has a good reputation, he's in Rome I think.

Albie94

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 10:12:18 AM »
I'll look for him as well, thanks for giving me his name...

Albie94

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 12:09:33 PM »
No the x-rays are after surgery

Ben

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 03:31:30 PM »
Can we see some pictures of your face please?

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »
Sandro Pelo has a good reputation, he's in Rome I think.

Yeah if you're in Italy go see this guy. He has a very good rep.

Raffaini seems decent too but some say he cherry picks results.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Albie94

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 03:10:12 AM »
Can we see some pictures of your face please?

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 06:49:09 AM »
I see what you mean but it's more noticeable on the x-ray weirdly. You have attractive features and the eye tends to be drawn to them, not the slightly crooked jaws.

Albie94

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 07:22:48 AM »
I see what you mean but it's more noticeable on the x-ray weirdly. You have attractive features and the eye tends to be drawn to them, not the slightly crooked jaws.

thanks for the compliment but I cannot live my life with this problem. I just hope to fine a skilled surgeon that is able to fix both of my jaws..I'm also thinking about getting rinoplasty because my nose got bigger after surgery...or do you think that is going to go back to the way it was before if I get my upper jaw pulled backward a little bit?

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 08:02:50 AM »
thanks for the compliment but I cannot live my life with this problem. I just hope to fine a skilled surgeon that is able to fix both of my jaws..I'm also thinking about getting rinoplasty because my nose got bigger after surgery...or do you think that is going to go back to the way it was before if I get my upper jaw pulled backward a little bit?

In theory your nose should narrow if the maxilla is  moved backwards, whether that actually happens in practice I don't know. BUT, you're only 5 weeks out and I can promise you that it will become smaller over the next few months - that area tends to hold onto swelling the longest for some reason. Concentrate on getting the jaws sorted out first, any rhinoplasty should be done afterwards.

Do let us know how you get on with your consultations, there are a few of us looking for revision surgery and we're always keen to hear about skilled surgeons.

falcao

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 04:49:57 AM »
It's scary how many oral surgeons practice orthognathic surgery without knowing what they are doing. A surgeon I talked to a while ago told me that in the past (not so distant) only TOP surgeons would go on to do orthognathic cases, and there were not many. It was a field that attracted the very best. Nowadays, it's so much more commonplace and it attracts all sorts of butchers.

On the other hand, there are no guarantees. My surgeon was supposed to be "top" and I ended up in a very bad state.

As far as crying every day...mi sembri un ragazzo molto simpatico e intelligente. Non c'e' bisogno di essere cosi avvilito e demoralizzato. Troverai una soluzione.

Albie94

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 05:28:56 AM »
It's scary how many oral surgeons practice orthognathic surgery without knowing what they are doing. A surgeon I talked to a while ago told me that in the past (not so distant) only TOP surgeons would go on to do orthognathic cases, and there were not many. It was a field that attracted the very best. Nowadays, it's so much more commonplace and it attracts all sorts of butchers.

On the other hand, there are no guarantees. My surgeon was supposed to be "top" and I ended up in a very bad state.

As far as crying every day...mi sembri un ragazzo molto simpatico e intelligente. Non c'e' bisogno di essere cosi avvilito e demoralizzato. Troverai una soluzione.

Heyy! I spoke to another surgeon the pther day and he told me that he has neven seen a bad case like mine..there's just no logic in what my old surgon has done to me.I also spoke to another ortho anf he told me that my teethe weren't ready at all for the surgery, so I'll have to go through a really intense orthognatic process before a get a second surgery...they both told me that if I keep my mouth like this I wont ever be able to chew well and that I will lose most of my teeth, especially my molars because I've got 1 cm gap between my upper and lower arch...

They also told me not to worry because everything is fixable and I will be totally fine!

Grazie per  il complimento:) coninuo a essere positivo nonostante la brutta esperienza, non mi lascio rovinare la vita per colpa di un errore altrui