Author Topic: Chin implant or sliding genioplasty?  (Read 14366 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: Chin implant or sliding genioplasty?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 08:03:24 PM »
1. Getting implants now while he waits could work if he has money coming out the ears. If not it'll be a huge waste because he will probably need bi max or something. ABSOLUTELY ZERO CHANCE all he will need is a sliding genio lol!

2. To the guy above me: Your face looks chubby. What is your bodyfat percentage? Try getting much lower before considering surgery
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 08:40:49 PM »
It rarely makes sense to drop your body fat percentage unless you plan on keeping it there! I personally would never screw with your weight and/or percentage of body fat unless you think the changes will be sustainable.

Good luck with everything!

jesterofmalice

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 01:34:58 AM »

2. To the guy above me: Your face looks chubby. What is your bodyfat percentage? Try getting much lower before considering surgery

That's the problem, and why I know that my issue is skeletal (small/rescessed jaws and chin making face look undefined and chubby)

I don't know what it is at the moment, but about 2 years ago when I was trying to get to the bottom of why my face looks fat, I got my body fat down to an extremely low percentage through HIIT, weightlifting, very strict diet etc. I had was left with a Very visible 6-pack.
Pretty much NO CHANGE in my facial appearance, though.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 01:51:12 AM »
That's the problem, and why I know that my issue is skeletal (small/rescessed jaws and chin making face look undefined and chubby)

I don't know what it is at the moment, but about 2 years ago when I was trying to get to the bottom of why my face looks fat, I got my body fat down to an extremely low percentage through HIIT, weightlifting, very strict diet etc. I had was left with a Very visible 6-pack.
Pretty much NO CHANGE in my facial appearance, though.

Well at least you've tried that you can discount weight as an issue. However having a chubby face doesn't mean you have skeletal issues. You could simply be holding a lot of fat there which should improve with age.

To be honest nothing about your face strikes me as being particularly off.

You could always consider buccal fat removal, as risky as it is.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 01:59:10 AM »
It rarely makes sense to drop your body fat percentage unless you plan on keeping it there! I personally would never screw with your weight and/or percentage of body fat unless you think the changes will be sustainable.

Good luck with everything!

This is true.

However, as a male I find it hard to understand why anyone would wish to be above about 12% body fat  ;D

jesterofmalice

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 02:12:11 AM »
Well at least you've tried that you can discount weight as an issue. However having a chubby face doesn't mean you have skeletal issues. You could simply be holding a lot of fat there which should improve with age.

To be honest nothing about your face strikes me as being particularly off.

You could always consider buccal fat removal, as risky as it is.

Yes, I guess the fat issue could potentially improve with age, although i'm not confident, and I don't really want to wait until i'm old to feel happy in my skin.

The orthos I saw confirmed that I did have a slightly recessed lower jaw - although both suggested that it wasn't severe enough to warrant jaw surgery and advised against it. Also a deep bite with a unilateral crossbite
From head on, my face looks a little jowely/heavy to me. Mouth looks downpointed and maybe a little 'sad'.When I give myself a 'facelift' by pulling the skin around my cheeks upwards, I look so much better. My chin and cheek look defined and I look normal.
I don't know what operation (other than a facelift!) could mimic that sort of result, though! ?

I can't wait to speak to an expert in facial matters. I've realised it's a bit of a waste of time talking to orthos about anything other than straight teeth. (at least here in the UK)

jesterofmalice

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 02:15:17 AM »
This is true.

However, as a male I find it hard to understand why anyone would wish to be above about 12% body fat  ;D

I have no idea what my bf is at the moment but my bodyfat is always fairly constant and I guess relatively low. Here's a pic to give an idea.

[attachment deleted by admin]

tyler18

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 11:21:27 AM »
I've noticed that people with recessed jaws (or jaws that don't project equally forward) tend to have the appearance of a puffy face. The skin actually just covers the convex contours of the bones often with very little more subcutaneous fat than average; but the convexity is perceived as a pad of fat.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 11:30:06 AM »
Post a ceph / X-Ray.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 09:02:46 PM »
Got a consultation with Dr. Jacobson, pretty hefty price for a consultation ($600) but I got a complete head scan that lasted over 2 minutes and I go back in a week to get a proper diagnosis. There's a lot of symptoms that they brought up that tie in closely to what I've been experiencing. Tiredness, neck pain, breathing problems, this definitely seems to be a problem that is more medical in nature. I also got a million pictures taken for insurance, I'm hoping that it will cover most of the costs. What are your guys' experience with insurance and this procedure?

I also have a consultation with Arnett in a few weeks, if I bring the report/scans from Schendel/Jacobson, I'm assuming they will be able to use them without me having to do another pricey consultation?

tyler18

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 10:20:34 PM »
It looks about 1 centimeter recessed, OP.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »
Alright guys, would love to get some input on this.

Got a follow up to my consultation w/ Dr. Schendel and Dr. Jacobsen and just like you guys said, they recommended a BSSO but also with a genioplasty which will give me 1cm. I would also need braces on my lower teeth for 5-7 months before the surgery as well as braces a few months after the surgery.

Costs
  • Ortho: $8k
  • Surgery: $19k
  • Total: $27k

Is this cost unreasonable or typical? Doesn't look like insurance can cover a lot since nothing is severe from a health standpoint unless someone can provide some recommendations regarding this? I also have mild sleep apnea it appears from a smaller airway, but also nothing severe. I plan on consulting with Dr. Gunson as well but what is your guys' take on this?

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 07:06:16 PM »
ccc, do you have a dental overjet? By that I mean do you have an overbite, or do they need to create an overbite with braces? Mommaerts told me in my case I would first need lower bicuspid extractions and then a BSSO.

Do you have any x-rays?

chinnychinchin

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2014, 10:39:03 PM »
I have an overbite and they didn't mention that I would need to extract any teeth. The ortho will be used to create more of an overbite actually so that the bite will fit when my lower jaw is extended. Here are my xrays:

What do you guys make of them? :)

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 12:37:33 AM »
I had my overbite opened too for surgery. My last ortho flared my teeth forward to cover up the remainder of my overbite and they just opened that back up to see how big it was. Are you only having lower?