Author Topic: How bad is an "ante-face"?  (Read 53336 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: How bad is an "ante-face"?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 05:55:57 AM »
Disillusioned, I'm very aware of everything you say, yet clearly don't agree with your last bullet point.
Her head is also turned slightly more towards the camera as in more of a 3/4 angle in the after.
Still, from the photos that are provided, I believe that I really like her result.
Yes I like that.

I appreciate you're nervous about your upcoming surgery but there's no need to throw your muck at me.

It has nothing to do with that. It's because you're defending a known con man by dismissing criticisms as "hip" - implying there is no factual basis for them.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

MrFox

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 09:38:54 AM »
It has nothing to do with that. It's because you're defending a known con man by dismissing criticisms as "hip" - implying there is no factual basis for them.

I didn't mean to defend photo manipulation (despite it being prevalent in every market that I can think of, including orthognathic surgery).
I just disagree that her result is "comically bad" and question whether his response would change if the surgeon's identity was hidden.

Sailer being a "known con man" is quite a serious accusation.

I don't think I can say anything else on the subject until next year as I don't want to speculate.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 06:55:29 PM »
I didn't mean to defend photo manipulation (despite it being prevalent in every market that I can think of, including orthognathic surgery).
I just disagree that her result is "comically bad" and question whether his response would change if the surgeon's identity was hidden.

Sailer being a "known con man" is quite a serious accusation.

I don't think I can say anything else on the subject until next year as I don't want to speculate.

I don't agree with saying she looks comically bad either. At least not once her head is rotated to a natural angle.

Con man: a man who cheats or tricks someone by means of a confidence trick.

Sailer-style photo manipulation is not prevalent at all in my opinion. I've seen deceptive head angles in afters. And I've seen koreans use lots of make-up. But the blatant photoshopping is really some next level s**t.

Just look at the woman's gonial angle. That is without a shadow of a doubt photoshopped as well. The shading is very unnatural and I often get similar results when editing photos in a hurry.

The one of the man they photoshopped was even worse again, as the real result was quite bad and had a botched rhino. I tried finding it but they appear to have taken it off their website after we had a thread on it here a while back.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 03:11:08 AM »
It does look shopped to hell, any surgeon that employs such tactics is pretty shady in my book.

Having said that though, I do favour the striking look of ante face but I'm not sure it's necessarily right for everyone and I personally would avoid any surgeon that was pushing a 'one size fits all' approach.

pinky

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2014, 11:25:55 AM »
I had double jaw surgery on July 23rd and I am very unhappy with my results.  I am now 2.5 months post op and with the  more swelling that decreases the more unhappy I get.  I had an underbite and my surgeon decided to move both my upper and lower FORWARD!  I already had a long jaw start with so I told him I was not comfortable with that but he assured me everything would turn out great. He is a well known surgeon considered one of the best and was referred to me by both doctors and patients so I trusted him.

His original plan was to move my upper 6.3mm and only rotate the bottom. I asked him for a chin reduction but he kept insisting that I did not need one. From all the research I did I had seen that chin reduction gave a better result. Specially since he wasn't planning on moving my bottom back.  As we discussed more options the plan to move the lower 1.5mm came up. That meant the upper would have to move forward a little more to 7.5mm instead of 6.3mm.  This was supposed to open up my airway even more.  He still didn't want to do a chin reduction but I insisted. This was only two days before my surgery. We agreed on that plan and I went home. 

I couldn't sleep all night because I was so worried.  I had heard cases where with such aggressive upper jaw movement people ended up with a chimp look but he assured me I wouldn't.  I also told him that I didn't want my bottom jaw to look longer but he said it wouldn't and not to worry.  That night I decided not do go through with that option so I emailed him saying to go back to his original plan and not move my lower forward and to also reduce my chin vertically.  He only responded to the email about the chin saying he didn't recommend reducing it too much. I thought, he knows better so I agreed.

The next day was surgery.  He said he received my email but again told me not to worry about the bottom coming forward because it was only a little bit and that it would be ok.  I was still uneasy but I still thought, he knows better.

Well, 2.5 months later and I regret agreeing with him so much.  I had shown him plenty of pictures of results I liked and he said he understood what I wanted.  He gave me completely the opposite.  I know have an even worse ante-face than before, and it does not look good on me, specially since I don't have prominent cheekbones under my eyes.  I'm so devestated. To think I went through all of that and spent all of that money to end up this unhappy.  I am trying to get him to fix it.  It's not fair!!! I'm very anti-anteface!

Not only is my lower jaw still long, if not longer, but now my upper jaw protrudes as well.  And he only reduced my chin very little so it still looks super pointy and ugly.  He has not agreed to fix this. I don't know what to do. I don't have the money to pay for a revision on my own.

[attachment deleted by admin]

pinky

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2014, 11:27:29 AM »
Adding more pictures

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »
I think you look fine from the front but I do agree with you that you don't have enough support under the eyes to move both jaws forward like that. Did you really have that big of an underbite? It hardly looks like you have an underbite in the before pictures. I'm amazed at the projection you got in the midface from such "small" movements.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2014, 11:49:13 AM »
Was it the very famous Santa Barbara surgeons?

pinky

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2014, 12:42:10 PM »
I had a small underbite. Only 6mm.  I really wish he would have move my upper forward about 4mm and lower maybe 2 BACK not forward! :( and the chin reduction is almost none existent! I'm so disappointed in my results. Something else he did that I am not happy about is he impacted my upper jaw about 1mm.  Apparently moving my upper jaw forward 7mm was going to cause a gummy smile or something.  When I smiled my teeth used to show really nicely. Now my lip covers half my teeth. :(

No it was not the Santa Barbara doctors, however, I did schedule an appointment with one of them in December for another opinion.  Are they known to cause results like this?

MrFox

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2014, 12:47:38 PM »
Sorry that you're unhappy with the result, I agree that your chin should be reduced in height slightly but only in the last image and the one that you've labeled "long pointy", in the others it looks fine so I don't know if it's lens or angle distortion making it appear longer?

I honestly think the jaws look very nice and even exotic on you but maybe I've developed some sort of sick ante-face fetish  :o

pinky

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2014, 12:49:55 PM »
I really liked my smile a lot better before surgery :( Besides the fact that I think it looks masculine, I don't like the ante-face on me because I have a very small body frame. I am only 5'2" and these features do not go with me at all. 

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2014, 12:51:23 PM »
Arnett and Gunson do like the whole ante-face thing and are known to make large movements but they're hardly known for producing bad surgery results.

I don't think you need a chin reduction by the way.

pinky

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2014, 12:56:19 PM »
I don't like how my jaw points downward so much. I really wanted it to be a little more horizontal. *sigh*  I really don't want to put myself through genioplasty again.  But I do want to move both upper and lower jaws back a bit.  I feel like an ape. Completely the opposite of what I told my surgeon I wanted.

pinky

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2014, 01:02:50 PM »
I love this girl's results. I really wanted something like this. She still has a defined jaw but very feminine and delicate. Her entire mouth and chin do not protrude beyond her forehead line.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2014, 01:04:32 PM »
It's difficult because of scar tissue and stuff but it can be revised, I'm getting both my jaws set back in a few months after they were advanced too much a year ago My new surgeon reckons he can move them back 3 or 4mms which will be about right, so don't panic it is fixable  :)