Author Topic: Black Triangles Orthodontics  (Read 2203 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Black Triangles Orthodontics
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
I know there have been threads on this before. However I have them a little bit on the front 2-3 teeth on my lower set.

The orthodontist mentioned it and mentioned how he wanted to do some intra-something-a-rather which I think is just where they sand down the sides of the teeth and move them closer together. I'm going to find out for sure next time I see him.

Has anyone got experience with this? What is the best solution?

Given mine is so minor I don't see why I wouldn't just do gum grafting for the absolutely tiny amount and degree to which I have them. I'm not a fan of sanding teeth.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Ben

Re: Black Triangles Orthodontics
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 10:47:41 PM »
If you move them closer together by sanding your just going to get a gap somewhere else + probably compromise root stability.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 10:51:26 PM »
If you move them closer together by sanding your just going to get a gap somewhere else + probably compromise root stability.

Is gum grafting an alternative? My doctor said the problem was not even really orthodontics, gum recession or anything. Rather that because I have long teeth that in the centre there is a very slight gap which could cause build-up and that it would be a good idea to fix this.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 11:38:22 PM »
I'm not sure man, I don't know that much, I just had the same situation with my Orthodontist. Is it really that bad that it needs attention?

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 12:58:03 AM »
Interproximal reduction right ? Yeah I've been proposed that too not for triangles but for something else

Found this not too long ago might be of some use to a member here
http://www.slu.edu/Documents/cade/thesis/Rambo_thesis.pdf
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 01:24:53 AM »
Interproximal reduction right ? Yeah I've been proposed that too not for triangles but for something else

Found this not too long ago might be of some use to a member here
http://www.slu.edu/Documents/cade/thesis/Rambo_thesis.pdf

Thanks that's it!

Not sure how I feel about it.... hopefully other members can tell me a bit more about it

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
Black triangles are caused by four factors. 1) The height of the alveolar bone (bone beneath the gum tissues) and it's distance from the interproximal contact point of the teeth (where the teeth meet). 2) The morphology (i.e. shape ) of your tooth and 3) the actual health and amount of gum tissue you have between the teeth.  4) the distance between your roots.

So there you go, all four need to be in concordance for this to work. Your black triangles were no doubt CAUSED by the orthodontist's movements. And would be even worse if you had extractions cause now the roots are spaced too far apart. We need to wait for tooth cloning/biological solution for the problem.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 11:45:53 AM »
Besides potential for plaque build up, what's wrong with a little bonding for black triangles? I feel like some properly placed composite could go a long way. Yes/No? 

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 01:27:04 PM »
Tooth cloning is almost here.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 02:09:45 PM »
Tooth cloning is almost here.

Do you have a source for that? I'd be surprised if that will be available to the average person within the next 10 years.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »
Besides potential for plaque build up, what's wrong with a little bonding for black triangles? I feel like some properly placed composite could go a long way. Yes/No?

Yes there are people who do a type of grafting for them. I read a study on it plus a doctor's website stating he did that.

To me, my preferred option would strongly be one of either gum grafting or using an onlay. I'll need to research it further.