Author Topic: Receding maxilla, mandible, overbite.  (Read 5260 times)

Insomniac

Receding maxilla, mandible, overbite.
« on: June 11, 2014, 04:33:30 PM »
Hello.

Google search has led me to this forum for multiple health-related inquiries. I am 20 years old and suffer from a multitude of disorders, with mouth-breathing and tooth decay being the most relevant one to this particular issue. I have malocclusion, overbite, receding cheekbones/maxilla, receding mandible, overprojected nose etc. as the attached pictures suggest. Although physically this is a very debilitating problem, the affect it has on my appearance also concerns me, especially when I glimpse at old photos and see how much better I looked when I was younger.

It is unlikely that I will get surgery, but I would still really appreciate if someone can offer insight regarding it. At the moment, I am struggling to get approval for braces.

[attachment deleted by admin]

nrelax11

• Private
Re: Receding maxilla, mandible, overbite.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 04:47:54 PM »
Lol, your jaw positions as they are now are probably going to be what mine will look like after surgery. I dont really see much wrong with your jaws. Do you have any strain when you close your mouth? How big is your overbite?

Insomniac

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 04:56:28 PM »
Lol, your jaw positions as they are now are probably going to be what mine will look like after surgery. I dont really see much wrong with your jaws. Do you have any strain when you close your mouth? How big is your overbite?

It is quite tough to keep my mouth closed - teeth don't exactly align, not much room for tongue on roof of mouth, etc. I am not sure as to the degree of my overbite, but significant enough for my bottom front teeth to be completely covered.

Also, I apologize for the grainy quality of the photos, but with a profile as convex as mine, my face becomes extremely warped with even the slightest distortion from most cameras.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 05:14:47 PM »
Sounds like my case except my overbite isnt quite as bad. All I can recommend is having your mandible advanced, but someone can give you a better answer

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »
Lower jaw a bit recessed. 

Nose, cheekbones, gonial angles look fine or better than fine.  To be honest I think you probably look better than most of us here
You probably have something funky going on with your bite if you're mouthbreathing. 

Tooth decay probably isn't related to jaws...IMO I think that' strongly dietary.  I've got weak enamel and am prone to plaque but I have NO fillings and have never had one my whole life (and I had 4 years of braces as teen)
Was low sugar/low acid as a kid and am no sugar/no acid/low carb as an adult.

Get a xray.  But IMO you're pretty decent looking - and I judge harshly

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 06:10:57 PM »
IMO, only the lower jaw looks recessed.

Insomniac

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 06:30:37 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions.

Lower jaw a bit recessed. 

Nose, cheekbones, gonial angles look fine or better than fine.  To be honest I think you probably look better than most of us here
You probably have something funky going on with your bite if you're mouthbreathing. 

Tooth decay probably isn't related to jaws...IMO I think that' strongly dietary.  I've got weak enamel and am prone to plaque but I have NO fillings and have never had one my whole life (and I had 4 years of braces as teen)
Was low sugar/low acid as a kid and am no sugar/no acid/low carb as an adult.

Get a xray.  But IMO you're pretty decent looking - and I judge harshly

I am not quite sure about maxilla, it looks slightly retruded which gives the impression of an oversized nose(which I receive weird comments about), black circles under eyes, and "low cheekbones". My nose itself doesn't look particularly big from some angles, but the recessed maxilla makes it "compensate" for the lack of bone and it takes up a large part of my face. That, combined with crooked downsward growth, might also cause the drooping or hooked tip.

I looked much better than I do now in my early teens and earlier, people often said I had model-tier looks at the time. My jaw became more visibly receded at around age 15, but I started mouthbreathing much earlier (probably due to mold in this apartment)so it may have been a more gradual progression.

I attribute tooth decay to both diet and mouthbreathing(dry mouth). The reason why I cannot get braces installed at the moment is the high number of cavities, and I had to stop getting them due to how badly I reacted to the fillings. If I were to get braces - could they alter the shape of my face, especially considering that it might still be growing?

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 03:50:53 AM »
Low cheekbones?  No, I don't see it - you actually have pretty strong,, high cheekbone projection to my eyes.  IMO strong cheekbones and strong gonial angles is what makes a good looking face and you have both of these things, good symmetry and a good overall bone structure

Maxilla recessed? - hard to tell without an X ray.  It doesn't look recessed.
Mandible - yes it's recessed, which will make your nose look bigger.  There is a case for advancement

Re: dark circles - I don't have a recessed maxilla and had eye bags/hollows and I just got filler - 0.25ml of perfectha deep in the tear trough and the 0.5ml perfectha derm in the under eye area.  It made huge difference and literally took 5 minutes

Insomniac

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 08:27:10 PM »
Perhaps I am just seeing an exaggeration of my flaws, but my bone structure looked so much healthier when I was 12 or so, with straight profile as opposed to convex, not having to be afraid of appearing "horsey" on photos, etc.

I see some milder parallels in my facial growth to this:

The above photograph is of the boy at age seventeen. Because he kept his mouth open from the ages of 14 until 17, his face grew downwards instead of in width. His face became narrow and long. His jaws are set back from their perfect and natural position. He now has a double chin and his jaws come back on his airways, resulting in smaller airways.

http://www.buteykochildren.com/mouth_breathing_and_facial_development.php

This photo better shows what I see wrong in my nose. It feels as if the rest of my face didn't develop horizontally the proper way and the nose just grew on by itself. I marked where I see "narrowness" with arrows.

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 04:38:23 AM »
Your maxilla is forward than normal and much forward than mine, as a few other's pointed out if it's anything it is your lower jaw that is recessed (as you can see from the picture below, this is very likely because your teeth not being aligned and not having the correct occlusion.  You could get this fixed without surgery you would need to find a orthodontist who deals with the t-scan device, this will move your teeth and lower jaw into the correct position. Would be worth a consultation.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 08:33:36 AM »
I have a hard time believing that's the same person.

Between 12 and 17 there simply isn't THAT much facial growth remaining.