Author Topic: Double jaw surgery-Questions  (Read 1479 times)

IrishRose313

Double jaw surgery-Questions
« on: July 15, 2014, 04:36:23 AM »
 Hey Guys!
  I am planning on having a double jaw surgery because I have a withdrawn lower jaw (underbite?) and low oxygen saturation. Did anyone lose alot of weight on this? I am asking because its hard for me to lose weight.AND NO I AM NOT USING THIS AS A WEIGHT LOSS AID! However,I would like to lose weight, IN ADDITION to fixing my problem(low oxygen saturation and withdrawn lower jaw). Another question I have is could low oxygen saturation cause my problem? (not being able to lose weight). I have been to many doctors, and the answers I get are totally different. My surgeon tells me that I can eat pureed foods immediately following surgery. Is this true? I read about the liquid diet and am wondering for how long on the average do you have to stay on it? My jaw won't be wired shut, I will just have elastics. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Anna Skarzynski

PloskoPlus

Re: Double jaw surgery-Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 04:48:05 AM »
I think you mean overbite.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 11:03:28 AM »
Most people lose weight from the surgery, but your body needs more calories during recovery. So dont try and lose weight,  but just focus on getting the nutrients your body needs.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 11:19:26 AM »
I am asking because its hard for me to lose weight.

It's hard for most women to lose weight.  Rare is the woman who can lose weight without a bit of a struggle and significant effort.  Give up sugar, bread, rice, all refined carbs, all processed foods, all dairy, all fruit juices.  Eat meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts - nothing else.  Cut calories by a minimum of 300 a day.

If after a month you have not lost weight, get a comprehensive hormone panel.  Have you had one?  You need to check leptin, rT3, aT3, T4, plus all your female hormones to be sure you don't have PCOS.

If I want to lose weight I effectively have to starve and spend half the day hungry - and eat extremely clean.  There is no short cut.  :(

LoveofScotch

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 12:56:16 PM »
Sorry you're struggling with your weight, but this surgery is so not the answer. Consider surgery if your teeth don't meet properly, if you have sleep apnea, etc.

Another thing to remember is when you lose weight from surgery you essentially melt. Yep, melt. You dump precious lean mass along with everything else. Getting that back requires work, and a reduction in lean mass generally equates to a reduction in metabolism (and a less then desirable body composition). It's bad news.

I agree with Tiny that if you think there's an issue see a doctor who can confirm everything is working properly. Also, be careful cutting your calories to drastically; that can set you up for problems, too. Just my two cents.

Good luck!