Author Topic: lyophilized cartilage & HA paste  (Read 12712 times)

jiliangjiliang

lyophilized cartilage & HA paste
« on: July 26, 2014, 12:45:37 AM »
Hi, HA paste has been talked a lot in this forum. But I haven't seen any one in this forum mentions lyophilized cartilage for facial augmentation. Is lyophilized cartilage worse than HA paste onlaid in face bone?
I read some articles about lyophilized cartilage, and it is said lyophilized cartilage is different from irradiated cartilage which has quite tendency of warp and being absorbed, while lyophilized cartilage has much less possibility of warping and being absorbed. Is is true?
Can lyophilized cartilage be used in chin, jaw, cheekbone augmentation and the area of orbital rim?
My son has a receding chin. I have brought him to visit three jaw surgeons, and all of them said his jaw has no problem at all, so no need for any jaw surgery, instead genioplasty is the right one for him to correct his receding chin. They all recommend genioplasty than implant. Is it really true that Genioplasty is always better than any kind of implant?
Both my son and I agree giving cheekbones some forwarding might be better if he is going to get his chin corrected. So I check genioplasty and implant materials. all other common used implant materials have been well discussed and documented. But it seems lyophilized cartilage is discussed less. Is it because it is already out of date material for facial augmentation, or is it still new subject and not many data have been collected for its study?
I would like to know some opinions from outside of surgeons. Thank you for your answer.

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: lyophilized cartilage & HA paste
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 03:23:42 AM »
Hi, HA paste has been talked a lot in this forum. But I haven't seen any one in this forum mentions lyophilized cartilage for facial augmentation. Is lyophilized cartilage worse than HA paste onlaid in face bone?
I read some articles about lyophilized cartilage, and it is said lyophilized cartilage is different from irradiated cartilage which has quite tendency of warp and being absorbed, while lyophilized cartilage has much less possibility of warping and being absorbed. Is is true?
Can lyophilized cartilage be used in chin, jaw, cheekbone augmentation and the area of orbital rim?
My son has a receding chin. I have brought him to visit three jaw surgeons, and all of them said his jaw has no problem at all, so no need for any jaw surgery, instead genioplasty is the right one for him to correct his receding chin. They all recommend genioplasty than implant. Is it really true that Genioplasty is always better than any kind of implant?
Both my son and I agree giving cheekbones some forwarding might be better if he is going to get his chin corrected. So I check genioplasty and implant materials. all other common used implant materials have been well discussed and documented. But it seems lyophilized cartilage is discussed less. Is it because it is already out of date material for facial augmentation, or is it still new subject and not many data have been collected for its study?
I would like to know some opinions from outside of surgeons. Thank you for your answer.

I like how you describe surgically correcting aesthetic concerns with your son as if it was a day at the shops  ;D

Cartillage: Do you mean autologous bone grafting? Maybe another member knows, I've never heard of it before.

Chin: Sliding genioplasty is generally preferred as implants come with a host of issues such as moving, infection. SG largely stable, predictable, and the better long-term option. If he has a receded chin perhaps it would be wise to note his jaw angles, gonial angles, and mandibular plane? Often these things go hand in hand, in which case if your concern is 100% aesthetic a chin wing osteotomy would be strongly advised to get the best result possible.

Cheekbones: Hard to say. On men forward projecting cheekbones is not at all an indicator of good looks. Brad Pitt has quite flat ones. More important is the width.

It would be wise to post a censored photo of your son in profile so that we may better assess his problems
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 07:29:31 AM »
ITT: World's greatest Dad.

MrFox

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 11:46:55 AM »

Yes

http://www.sailerclinic.com/en/aesthetische_chirurgie/lyoknorpel.html
Professor Sailer's most common uses of lyophilized cartilage in aesthetic surgery are : zygomatic bone, zygomatic arch and augmentations of the middleface areas , nose , chin enlargement

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 12:52:55 PM »
I knew I remembered it from somewhere. The fact the Sailer uses it might be more of a warning sign than anything else.

ForeverDet

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 05:24:38 PM »
I have no idea about lyophilized cartilage but for what it's worth, I had HA paste for my cheeks and they really pop out now. I don't feel they make me look that better looking but I like how prominent they are.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 07:02:03 PM »
I knew I remembered it from somewhere. The fact the Sailer uses it might be more of a warning sign than anything else.

Exactly. Going to have to ask Triaca about this one and get his take.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

jiliangjiliang

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 01:56:45 AM »
I like how you describe surgically correcting aesthetic concerns with your son as if it was a day at the shops  ;D

Cartillage: Do you mean autologous bone grafting? Maybe another member knows, I've never heard of it before.

Chin: Sliding genioplasty is generally preferred as implants come with a host of issues such as moving, infection. SG largely stable, predictable, and the better long-term option. If he has a receded chin perhaps it would be wise to note his jaw angles, gonial angles, and mandibular plane? Often these things go hand in hand, in which case if your concern is 100% aesthetic a chin wing osteotomy would be strongly advised to get the best result possible.

Cheekbones: Hard to say. On men forward projecting cheekbones is not at all an indicator of good looks. Brad Pitt has quite flat ones. More important is the width.

It would be wise to post a censored photo of your son in profile so that we may better assess his problems

Thank you for your reply.
I am glad my son told me what he wants, instead of doing a surgery without saying anything.
I think lyophilized cartilage should be from cadavar, human or animal? I think it should be from donated human dead body, shoudn't it? I am not sure about that.
Actually I think my son's midface is ok, but he doesn't like a very masculine cowboy look, and prefers the look of Jake Gyllenhaal (just an example), which, I think, matches his personality too.
But we are still checking all the necessities, possibilities, benefits, risks and side effects of the surgery.

jiliangjiliang

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 01:59:18 AM »
ITT: World's greatest Dad.

Thank you for your reply and praise.
My son seldom asks for exact things. Since he asks this time, I should take it seriously.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 02:00:58 AM »
I don't think you can just "shop for a new face".  There are limitations.

jiliangjiliang

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 02:04:53 AM »
Yes

http://www.sailerclinic.com/en/aesthetische_chirurgie/lyoknorpel.html

Thank you for your reply. I have also read his website and the article attached in this website. But the article is quite old, and there are not many post-operative investigation and data.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 02:11:12 AM »
Thank you for your reply.
I am glad my son told me what he wants, instead of doing a surgery without saying anything.
I think lyophilized cartilage should be from cadavar, human or animal? I think it should be from donated human dead body, shoudn't it? I am not sure about that.
Actually I think my son's midface is ok, but he doesn't like a very masculine cowboy look, and prefers the look of Jake Gyllenhaal (just an example), which, I think, matches his personality too.
But we are still checking all the necessities, possibilities, benefits, risks and side effects of the surgery.

I would reiterate what I previously asked, which is that you please post a censored picture of his face in profile.

There are so many knowledgable posters here who would be able to assess his situation.

Edit: Are you Chinese? I ask because of your username and writing style. This would have a huge impact on what is deemed the best option for your son.

MrFox

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 02:15:06 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I have also read his website and the article attached in this website. But the article is quite old, and there are not many post-operative investigation and data.

There have been a few patients of Sailer on this forum http://www.progenica.de/forum/
I have been in contact with a woman who is having jaw implants with him, she kindly gave me the usernames of two patients that had surgery with him but unfortunately they haven't replied to my messages.

You could try asking about lyophilized cartilage on that message board, as they discuss Sailer more, they may be more familiar with it.

jiliangjiliang

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 02:18:02 AM »
I don't think you can just "shop for a new face".  There are limitations.

I think you misunderstand. We are not shopping for a new face. I just make an example to explain  a look or appearance or style whatever is called my son likes. Like Jake Gyllenhaal,Richard Tiffany Gere, Leonardo DiCaprio (when he was 20 years old) ect, they are not every masculine cowboy look, and I can't say they are femine. Anyway, I hope you can understand what I mean.

jiliangjiliang

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 02:25:15 AM »

Thanks for your reply.
But I can't quite catch your meaning. Do you mean Sailer's practice of using lyophilized cartilage shows that lyophilized cartilage is not a good material for implant?