Author Topic: Do I need surgery?  (Read 7510 times)

ForeverDet

Re: Do I need surgery?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 11:53:49 PM »

I do believe that I have a mild LFS. When I laugh I generally show my gums. But the main issue now for me is the chin. I can not smile because I am always conscious of my chin implant, it looks so long sometimes and makes my face look awful, check the attached pic.

I see that you had a sliding genio first, I thought that you had to have the whole surgery, cause you don't know how the jaw might end up looking.. I wonder if I could try with sliding genio first like you did, and if it could give me a more natural look, even if the profile is not perfect. I think that a slight convex profile does not look that bad on females.. I just want to look more natural, and I do hate the labiomental fold created by the implant

I understand why you think you have mild LFS and I guess it's possible but my point was that LFS requires double jaw surgery to fully correct. And I don't have to tell you how traumatic and severe the surgery is, I went through it and your case doesn't seem to justify it. It's funny how gung-ho I was about jaw surgery before I went through it and now despite it being a success, I would caution anybody to really consider all your options before committing to it.

A little gummy show is fine unless and it seems your upper tooth display at rest in the normal range too. But you can close your lips without straining right? I see what you mean about your chin, clearly the chin implant is large  for your face.

A sliding genio will look very natural trust me and 6-8 mm advancement will look fantastic. You just need to find a great surgeon who has experience with removing implants to do it. And no since a genioplasty doesn't affect the bite it can always be done in isolation, it's just most people have it done with jaw surgery.

Juliaaa

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 12:16:59 AM »

What surgeries did she get? she got rhinoplasty too right?

In the website they just mention upper jaw advancement and impaction, and lower jaw alignment. I don't think she had rhinoplasty...  This is the link
http://institutomaxilofacial.com/casos-clinicos/12-Laura

Juliaaa

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 01:15:11 AM »
I understand why you think you have mild LFS and I guess it's possible but my point was that LFS requires double jaw surgery to fully correct. And I don't have to tell you how traumatic and severe the surgery is, I went through it and your case doesn't seem to justify it. It's funny how gung-ho I was about jaw surgery before I went through it and now despite it being a success, I would caution anybody to really consider all your options before committing to it.

A little gummy show is fine unless and it seems your upper tooth display at rest in the normal range too. But you can close your lips without straining right? I see what you mean about your chin, clearly the chin implant is large  for your face.

A sliding genio will look very natural trust me and 6-8 mm advancement will look fantastic. You just need to find a great surgeon who has experience with removing implants to do it. And no since a genioplasty doesn't affect the bite it can always be done in isolation, it's just most people have it done with jaw surgery.

Wow I looked at your post and you look really great after the surgery.. ! it was really a 100% success.

I agree that the gummy smile doesn't bother me that much, and maybe I am wrong but I don't think that my face is that long.. I am not sure about the functional issues thought. I don't have any problem chewing or pain or anything.
 About the straining I am not so sure, I can't see my muscle properly because of the implant.. I have been trying to breath thought my nose since I had the rhinoplasty so I being forcing myself to keep my mouth closed for this last years, I am not sure if that helped.

I really just want to fix the chin, but Id like to keep the possibilities open in case I decide to for the full package later. sliding genio seems like my best choice then :) was it really painful??? long recovery?? did you doubt between a chin implant vs sliding genio at first?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 01:59:41 AM »
Genioplasty is not a trivial operation.  It can cause chin and lower lip numbness just like lower jaw surgery. I think it's better to fix things fundamentally i.e. jaws if that's your case.  If you do genioplasty now, to have a balanced profile you may need a big advancement, which may thin your bottom lip.  If you decided to do lower jaw advancement later on, you may have to undo some of your genioplasty.  So why not get it done right the first time?

Juliaaa

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
Genioplasty is not a trivial operation.  It can cause chin and lower lip numbness just like lower jaw surgery. I think it's better to fix things fundamentally i.e. jaws if that's your case.  If you do genioplasty now, to have a balanced profile you may need a big advancement, which may thin your bottom lip.  If you decided to do lower jaw advancement later on, you may have to undo some of your genioplasty.  So why not get it done right the first time?

thanks for the feedback... I know this is a decision only myself can take... you mentioned BSSO before, but it is really strange that the surgeon did not propose that... I will wait to see whats the opinion of the second one.

ForeverDet

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 03:20:03 PM »
Wow I looked at your post and you look really great after the surgery.. ! it was really a 100% success.

I agree that the gummy smile doesn't bother me that much, and maybe I am wrong but I don't think that my face is that long.. I am not sure about the functional issues thought. I don't have any problem chewing or pain or anything.
 About the straining I am not so sure, I can't see my muscle properly because of the implant.. I have been trying to breath thought my nose since I had the rhinoplasty so I being forcing myself to keep my mouth closed for this last years, I am not sure if that helped.

I really just want to fix the chin, but Id like to keep the possibilities open in case I decide to for the full package later. sliding genio seems like my best choice then :) was it really painful??? long recovery?? did you doubt between a chin implant vs sliding genio at first?

Everyone's recovering is different...with that said an isolated genio is a walk in the park next to jaw surgery, for me anyway. It's still major surgery with serious swelling, bruising and the drugs from the surgery wear off after the the first few days so you'll feel uncomfortable. It's safe to say the first few days to a week will really suck. But you'll be on a regular diet very quickly unlike jaw surgery and by 6-8 weeks the majority of swelling will be gone. By 4-6 months all the swelling, even the tiny residual swelling, will be gone. You may end up with partial numbness on your lower lip and chin, it's common with genio's but it's not universal.

Just have many consults, I mean 5 or 6 minimum and it's essential you find a doc who's done revision genio's before and successfully. Some doctors are very nice but that doesn't mean they'll be the best surgeon for you.

Juliaaa

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 11:16:31 PM »

What surgeries did she get? she got rhinoplasty too right?

Btw, a  oral surgeon I consulted told me that the nose changes from the jaw surgery.. Check the girl from the pic, she was one of his patients. I was sure she had had a nose job but the surgeon assured he only did her jaws..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dontknowwhattodo

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 12:02:21 AM »
Btw, a  oral surgeon I consulted told me that the nose changes from the jaw surgery.. Check the girl from the pic, she was one of his patients. I was sure she had had a nose job but the surgeon assured he only did her jaws..

Oh comon, thats impossible. Thats nose job...

PloskoPlus

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 12:35:24 AM »
Oh comon, thats impossible. Thats nose job...

Upper jaw advancement makes the nose look smaller and upturns it a little, which can be a bonus if your nose is down-turned  to begin with.

ForeverDet

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 12:43:18 AM »
Upper jaw advancement makes the nose look smaller and upturns it a little, which can be a bonus if your nose is down-turned  to begin with.

You mean smaller in profile right? As you know advancement and/or impaction are notorious for widening the nose which make it look bigger from every other angle besides the profile. I agree the girl in the photo may not of had a nosejob and it was all the upper jaw movements, my nose turned up after surgery which minimized my dorsal hump so it looks smaller in profile.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 12:45:18 AM »
You mean smaller in profile right? As you know advancement and/or impaction are notorious for widening the nose which make it look bigger from every other angle besides the profile. I agree the girl in the photo may not of had a nosejob and it was all the upper jaw movements, my nose turned up after surgery which minimized my dorsal hump so it looks smaller in profile.

Yes.