Author Topic: Understanding my bite issues better  (Read 7547 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: Understanding my bite issues better
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 04:42:22 AM »
You should be able to get a refund if your mid way through treatment. It's BS if you can't and I don't see a reasonable doctor saying no, it's your teeth after all. Be stern and aggressive if it comes to the point you need to change orthos.

As far the decompensation pre-surgery, have you found a surgeon? Dr Triaca? If not find a doc that has a surgical plan your comfortable with and he should then send your ortho a orthodontic plan or at least talk to him about it. It all starts with the surgeon and the ortho is secondary, following his or her lead.

Again, hard to even make assessment but I think you could get away with just upper surgery to fix the cant and advance your upper jaw for a proper overjet/overbite. Idk if your mandible is that deficient or a genio/implant could do the trick, especially if your bite is perfect with just upper jaw surgery.

And a mandibular plane/occlusal plane being steep is not abnormal by itself although it correlates strongly with LFS for example and other vertical deformities. Remember, single jaw surgery is so much easier than double jaw surgery and as long as you can get a stable, class I bite with just a lefort then I'd do that even if your mandible is potentially a little deficient.

I need to get a feel for the current situation before even considering a refund.

My surgeon will be Dr Triaca simply because he has good experience with Chin Wings and his results are solid.

You should be able to see my occlusal plane better in the CT scan I posted below. Based off my own casual observations it seems less steep than most.

The main question with upper jaw surgery is exactly as notrain has stated: the movements will be tiny, zero aesthetic improvement. So is the operation worth it for what it will achieve? Namely, "perfect" bite and fixing canting. Of course, there are then the issues of nose widening to consider.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 04:56:04 AM »
Compared with BSSO, Le Fort I is patty cakes in terms of recovery.  And even minor movements can be dramatic.  What did Triaca suggest?

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 05:06:14 AM »
Compared with BSSO, Le Fort I is patty cakes in terms of recovery.  And even minor movements can be dramatic.  What did Triaca suggest?

Just that, a Le Fort I and Chin Wing. He said if the occlusal plane is oblique then a BSSO is also necessary.

Do you mean to say that a Le Fort I is easier from a recovery point of view? If you have managed to keep up with the thread thus far I'd appreciate your opinion on whether a le fort I could be justified in my case.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 05:13:55 AM »
Just that, a Le Fort I and Chin Wing. He said if the occlusal plane is oblique then a BSSO is also necessary.

Do you mean to say that a Le Fort I is easier from a recovery point of view? If you have managed to keep up with the thread thus far I'd appreciate your opinion on whether a le fort I could be justified in my case.

I cannot really judge, I'm sorry.  But yes, Le Fort I is far easier to recover from than a BSSO.  The potential for any long-term numbness is far less as well since no major nerves are involved.  (Your upper gums can be numb for a long time, but apparently it's not as annoying as lower lip or chin numbness).

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 05:18:36 AM »
I cannot really judge, I'm sorry.  But yes, Le Fort I is far easier to recover from than a BSSO.  The potential for any long-term numbness is far less as well since no major nerves are involved.  (Your upper gums can be numb for a long time, but apparently it's not as annoying as lower lip or chin numbness).

What about nose widening? Is the risk of this (with an alar cinch) less likely for smaller advancements?

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 10:12:30 AM »
What about nose widening? Is the risk of this (with an alar cinch) less likely for smaller advancements?

Theoretically yes but it's as much of a crap shoot as everything else.

ForeverDet

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »
The main question with upper jaw surgery is exactly as notrain has stated: the movements will be tiny, zero aesthetic improvement. So is the operation worth it for what it will achieve? Namely, "perfect" bite and fixing canting. Of course, there are then the issues of nose widening to consider.

Never mind then about the occlusal plane I thought you were implying it was steepish.

Yes avoid jaw surgery if you can and you're confident you can get a stable result orthodontically. Nose widening/flaring is a b*tch and I disagree with anyone that a lefort is easier surgery recovery wise than a bsso except only in that you'll probably have less residual numbness after. That's not really recovery though, recovery is when you wake up feeling like s**t, disoriented after surgery with your nose clogged up, full of blood, swollen as f**k. I would have given my left nut if all I needed was a bsso to correct my issues, would have saved me a ton of money and months of suffering.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 10:34:27 AM »

It was definitely not worth it for me; especially since the motivation for getting the surgery was the aesthetical change.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »

With your iCAT reader can you export a ceph or a lateral image of some kind? Im curious because I have some similar skeletal issues

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 07:10:41 PM »
With your iCAT reader can you export a ceph or a lateral image of some kind? Im curious because I have some similar skeletal issues

You mean like a lateral cephologram? I have one of me biting down on some piece of plastic that shows my occlusion and maxillary asymmetry.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »
pls respond.

earl25

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 10:02:42 AM »
as long as puahate guys are here to learn about surgery i see nothing wrong with them being here. if they start spewing hate then its an issue.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »

The main question with upper jaw surgery is exactly as notrain has stated: the movements will be tiny, zero aesthetic improvement. So is the operation worth it for what it will achieve?

Hell no!!!  Cost, recovery, risk of future infection, risk of nerve damage....just to make a good bite perfect?  NOPE

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 02:51:30 PM »
pls respond.

Post a good ceph! You can export one from the iCAT
Scan.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 02:53:30 PM »
What did Triaca recommend? Would he be okay with just doing a chin wing?