Author Topic: Post Surgery Acne  (Read 10958 times)

mayhem123

Post Surgery Acne
« on: August 03, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. I had double jaw surgery on 18th July, I am currently 16 days post op. Well about a week ago my skin became really oily and started to break out. I have had acne in the past but it has never been as bad as this. The acne is currently my biggest problem at the moment.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and how long does it take to go away?

Gregor Samsa

Re: Post Surgery Acne
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 11:45:14 AM »
Did you take any antibiotics? Acne can flare up for a while once you stop taking antibiotics. Have you eaten differently than normal? Don't listen to anyone who says that your diet does not influence acne because that's complete bulls**t.

mayhem123

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »
Yes I was given antibiotics and I have been off them for a while now. My diet has changed a bit, before surgery I used to eat more meat and after surgery I couldn't eat meat due to not being allowed to chew. Also I have increased my dairy consumption.
I am seeing my doctor tomorrow and I am hoping he will refer me to dermatologist.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »
Dairy is a common trigger of acne. You might want to lay low with it for a while.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 12:24:09 PM »
Great, my face is getting really oily all the time. Did you wash it twice a day? Im jus using my proactive right now cuz that usually prevent me from getting acne.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 12:25:05 PM »
Washing your face too much will just trigger even more oil production.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »
Washing your face too much will just trigger even more oil production.

Well morning and night is fine isnt it. That has always worked just fine for me.  I think you just dont want to do it anymore than that.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 12:33:33 PM »
I'd say that is too much and it could easily dry out your face if you've already got a problem with the oil getting trapped.

mayhem123

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 12:37:55 PM »
Nrelax11 did your face start getting oily after surgery?

Yes I am going to limit my dairy consumption. I have been told that acne is common after surgery. I just hope and pray that it is temporary.
I have been washing my face twice a day and I brought some oil free moisturizer today.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 12:47:52 PM »
I don't suffer from acne but I have noticed that my skin became oilier for a few weeks after every surgery I've had, regardless of type.

My guess is that it's something to do with anesthesia and the body's attempt to 'reset' itself afterwards.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 01:32:09 PM »
Nrelax11 did your face start getting oily after surgery?

Yes I am going to limit my dairy consumption. I have been told that acne is common after surgery. I just hope and pray that it is temporary.
I have been washing my face twice a day and I brought some oil free moisturizer today.

Yea it started getting oily only after surgery and wasnt oily before.

I think if you use a good moisturizer you can wash it twice a day. I mean I dont always wash it twice a day and sometimes I just throw water on my face but ive never had dry skin from washing it that much. Obviously everyone is different and some people's skin can dry out more easily than others.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 01:47:19 PM »
It's probably the dairy and the extra carbs.  Get off the dairy and if you need liquid protein go for egg, beef protein (eg musclemeds carnivor) or plant (e.g. puregreen)
At least, cut out the cow dairy and switch to goat - less hormones

Many things could be contributing - stress, inflammation, diet etc.  It's not always about oil - I have super dry skin but get some acne because my pores are extremely tight and get clogged

Use a BHA exfoliator or salicylic wash, make sure it's acidic enough to actually work though.  I recommend Paula's Choice 2% liquid and ProActive clarifying night cream.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »
It's not always about oil - I have super dry skin but get some acne because my pores are extremely tight and get clogged

The reason your skin is dry is because the oil isn't getting through. I also have dry skin unless I eat a really strict diet (it takes a few weeks before I start noticing the positive effects of it). Seriously, try an elimination diet where you try to eat as strict as possible for 2-3 weeks and I'd be surprised if you didn't start noticing your skin getting softer and more moist.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »
The reason your skin is dry is because the oil isn't getting through. I also have dry skin unless I eat a really strict diet (it takes a few weeks before I start noticing the positive effects of it). Seriously, try an elimination diet where you try to eat as strict as possible for 2-3 weeks and I'd be surprised if you didn't start noticing your skin getting softer and more moist.

I did a year of the strictest paleo diet anyone can do, right down the organ meats and bone marrow.  Still had dry skin.  Some people just don't produce enough sebum.  It's been dry since I was a baby - although it gets a lot better in soft water areas. 

I have a great oil serum which works wonders though

sean89

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 07:18:34 PM »
I know some people have advised not to wash your face too often, but I always keep face wipes lying around my house and use them whenever my skin feels greasy (usually after meals) and I feel it makes a big difference.

Also, Vitamin D helps me - I take 5000iu if I'm about to have a particularly greasy meal (not more than once a day) and in theory, it should help your bones to heal quicker.

Drink plenty of water.

And definitely cut out the dairy (the absolute worst thing for acne).