Author Topic: High anxiety/ high doubts  (Read 3453 times)

Rico

High anxiety/ high doubts
« on: November 28, 2014, 08:01:59 AM »
I'm from Poland.  I need malar bone osteotomy due to overlooked fracture (mildly flattened cheek - but visible)

I had about 6 consultations in Poland with the best cranio-maxillo-facial surgeons.
All of them told me, that this procedure is too risky - relatively high risk of problem vision and feeling in teeth and 1/2 of face...etc
The same told me Dr Zarrinbal, also Alfaro (on the initial consultation, when he read my description of the problem) also others..
However, on the other hand, most surgeons in Switzerland and some in Germany (from big clinic) and also 2 surgeons from Italy told me that they think there is no high risk.
I'm gonna to have my last 2 consultations in 10 days
I'm totally confused
...and this "I think there is no big risk" hmm "I think" ?
How to read such thing ? 

How it's possible that all very skilled Doctors in Poland told me that this is too risky. In Poland where we had about 3-4 succesfull complicated facial transplant like in USA in last few years
 Additionally, this correlate with some other opionns abroad from also very skilled one.... but not all.

Have some of You met ever such situation like this ? I mean when in your state / country there are well known sklled surgeons who couldn't help You, but You could find them thousands kms far away ?

How to rationalise that fact ?
How to cope with such strange confusing thing ?
How to trust any surgeon if 66% of them tell me that I will end very badly

In 2 weeks, I'm going to make final decision  after about 10 consultations (most of them unsuccesful) and I'm trying to prepare somehow for this emotionally
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:59:07 PM by Rico :) »

Lazlo

• Private
Re: High anxiety/ high doubts
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 10:34:29 AM »
I'm from Poland.  I need malar bone osteotomy due to overlooked fracture (mildly flattened cheek - but visible)

I had about 6 consultations in Poland with the best cranio-maxillo-facial surgeons.
All of them told me, that this procedure is too risky - relatively high risk of problem vision and feeling in teeth and 1/2 of face...etc
The same told me Dr Zarrinbal, also Alfaro (on the initial consultation, when he read my description of the problem) also others..
However, on the other hand, most surgeons in Switzerland and some in Germany (from big clinic) and also 2 surgeons from Italy told me that they think there is no high risk.
I'm gonna to have my last 2 consultations in 10 days
I'm totally confused
...and this "I think there is no big risk" hmm "I think" ?
How to read such thing ? 

How it's possible that all very skilled Doctors in Poland told me that this is too risky. In Poland where we had about 3-4 succesfull complicated facial transplant like in USA in last few years
 Additionally, this correlate with some other opionns abroad from also very skilled one.... but not all.

Have some of You met ever such situation like this ? I mean when in your state / country there is no well known surgeon who can help You, but You could find it thousands kms far away ?
How to rationalise that fact ?
How to cope with such strange confusing thing ?
How to trust any surgeon if 66% of them tell me that I will end very badly

In 2 weeks, I'm going to make final decision  after about 10 consultations (most of them unsuccesful) and I'm trying to prepare somehow for this emotionally

Yes please do keep us updated. I think surgeons who say "not risky" are probably ones who have done the procedure regularly so ask to see examples of their work or talk to their patients about their results. Many patients are open to talking to others as long as you don't make their pics public, but you can share their stories anonymously. So ask to see pics of their work, before and after, ask how many times they've done such a procedure. etc. and what the results were.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing your results!

Rico

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 01:49:23 PM »
What has facial transplant to do with craniofacial surgery?

Don't know. Perhas feedback, that our medical care is not worse / much worse then in other much well-developed countries. To be honest I never seen something really fanstastic in such surgeries. It looks awful with barely restored feeling on the whole face. Nightmare - example from Poland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yne6jZfgaYE

This fears I show only here, just to not show him :)  think Panthom, think :)

and these fears are normal, And You as always, act in your specific way. But i'm tolerant
The consultation will show If my anxiety decrese or increase about surgery.
And I wonder what others think about that.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:07:16 PM by Rico :) »

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 05:42:18 AM »
Has he got rigatoni up his nose?  :o

Rico

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
Polish like italian food :)  We can't laugh at this. This is tragic .He lost his face in a terrible accident during work. What interesting is (or rather unbeliveable) the police kept the accident place secured and didn't search the area enough good to find the remain part of the face. They found it almost 2 hours after victim got to the hospital and as if all of this were not enough, they didn't protect it properly. As a result,the remain part of the face was too damaged to use in transplant procedure. They had to use the face of a man who suddenly lost his life - don't remember - in accident or something like that.
And now imagine that. You survive horrific accident, lose your face and additionally you can't get your own old one.
Try to imagine, you waking up with damaged and not your face...brrrrr

and be a member of family who see deformed face in the TV. The face of your  husband / son / brother who died - You know a cause celebre because of medical service achievement

So anyone still has problem with the face :) ?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 02:22:18 PM by Rico :) »