Author Topic: two year post up update AMA thread  (Read 3762 times)

dovidiostore

• Private
two year post up update AMA thread
« on: August 24, 2014, 11:36:22 PM »
holy s**t jaw surgery was really two years ago

damn

i had a high lefort 1 (or as he described "the cut is a little higher - BARELY (like uses his fingers) LIKE this MUCH or something

just on the upper jaw

had an open bite

this is an AMA thread so please ask me anything about my surgery, the surgery process in general, how to cope with feelings before or after surgery,  etc

dovidiostore

• Private
Re: two year post up update AMA thread
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:37:07 PM »
whoops GJ can you please move this to the "General" subtopic list TIA

dovidiostore

• Private
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 11:44:49 PM »
come on guys, ask me some f*cking questions ;3

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 11:49:10 PM »
Did your nose widen after surgery and upturn a little? And if so, did it go down a bit and after how long?  Also how long did it take for the swelling around your cheek and around your nose to go down? I know its different for everyone, but these are the areas im still quit swollen in. Im only a month post op, so I know it takes some time for some areas to go down.

dovidiostore

• Private
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:56:02 PM »
Did your nose widen after surgery and upturn a little? And if so, did it go down a bit and after how long?  Also how long did it take for the swelling around your cheek and around your nose to go down? I know its different for everyone, but these are the areas im still quit swollen in. Im only a month post op, so I know it takes some time for some areas to go down.

Did your nose widen after surgery and upturn a little? And if so, did it go down a bit and after how long?

- my nose does have that effect, but not as much as most people had. it definitely made my nose look much better. i'll post some before photos and recent ones later. i would say it is subtle but noticeable if you are my mom (she noticed it right away) see, before i had an open bite and i had a small impaction which made the angle of my lip to nose more "acute" as my ortho put it :3

Also how long did it take for the swelling around your cheek and around your nose to go down?

i would say you should not judge it completely until about 12 months out

i did my obsessing and i realized everyone is different and sometimes it does take that much time for it to go completely away

i feel like i saw a difference in the cheeks (very subtle, idk) at from 9-12 months

dovidiostore

• Private
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 12:02:57 AM »
nrelax11 what type of surgery did you have to fix your bite?

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 01:25:56 AM »
nrelax11 what type of surgery did you have to fix your bite?

I had bimax. Pretty much wanted to fix my lip incompetence and my gummy smile too I guess. I also had a slight overbite but my surgeon and ortho thought it would beneficiary to bring my maxilla forward a little too. Im only a month out, so I got some time, but the only complaint I have is my nose. It didnt widen aa huge amount, but I didnt want it to widen at all and I dont like the upturn either, which also isnt extreme. I just already had a slight upturned nose, so my surgeon said he didnt want to make it worse. I can defiantly tell my nose is swollen though, so im guessing it'll go down a little at some point. People say thats the last thing to go down though, so it can take 6 months or longer. The waiting game is very annoying. It sucks it takes so long for the swelling to go down, but im doing everything I can to help speed it up.

dovidiostore

• Private
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:44:16 AM »
I had bimax. Pretty much wanted to fix my lip incompetence and my gummy smile too I guess. I also had a slight overbite but my surgeon and ortho thought it would beneficiary to bring my maxilla forward a little too. Im only a month out, so I got some time, but the only complaint I have is my nose. It didnt widen aa huge amount, but I didnt want it to widen at all and I dont like the upturn either, which also isnt extreme. I just already had a slight upturned nose, so my surgeon said he didnt want to make it worse. I can defiantly tell my nose is swollen though, so im guessing it'll go down a little at some point. People say thats the last thing to go down though, so it can take 6 months or longer. The waiting game is very annoying. It sucks it takes so long for the swelling to go down, but im doing everything I can to help speed it up.

if i were you i would not worry much right now

i have done a good amount of research on the internet and even though i havent had a bimax or large advancement i do know that people who have had them have had success in the widening of their nose/swelling/upturning going down a bit

the other swelling could also be making the upturning more prominent as well

the waiting game is annoying, but if you are ok with how you look now (loosely) i think you will be very happy in like 5 months and esp a year

dovidiostore

• Private
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:56:56 AM »
A few questions for the OP

How much did your jaw surgery cost ?

How many mm of the maxilla was brought forward?

Did the surgeon do down fracture too?

When are you gonna post post your pictures? I'm excited to see them.

it was like $47k O_O my insurance covered it though because the hospital pushed it through as a medical thing after they tried to deny it as dental etc

to be honest i am still unsure how much it was brought forward - the entire process i just trusted my surgeon and was afraid to have ''too much" like a bimax if i really didn't need it for my case etc, and he felt comfortable with just doing the upper jaw so at the time i was happy. the lower jaw did come forward a little bit as a result of the upper being imapcted so i did gain a bit more of a chin than i had

i think they did downfracture

i just put some old pre op/post op photos and recent photos in a little album if you wanna see (i was still swollen in the comparison photos)

http://imgur.com/a/rzQpx

i would have to do some searching to really find some good frontal pre op pics

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 11:33:31 AM »
if i were you i would not worry much right now

i have done a good amount of research on the internet and even though i havent had a bimax or large advancement i do know that people who have had them have had success in the widening of their nose/swelling/upturning going down a bit

the other swelling could also be making the upturning more prominent as well

the waiting game is annoying, but if you are ok with how you look now (loosely) i think you will be very happy in like 5 months and esp a year

Yea im happy with my results so far, well more so at night when the swelling has gone down lol. Then you wake up in yhe morning all puffy again hahah.

Mark32

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 05:42:40 PM »
I think you look great in your photos. :)

How did your teeth meet before the procedure? You know, after the orthodontist had realigned them did you have anything like an edge to edge incisor relationship or an underbite?

To close your open bite did they sort of rotate your maxilla? I mean lower it at the front and/or raise it at the back? How much if any did the whole thing make revealing your upper front teeth fully when you smile easier?

With moving your maxilla forward do you think it changed the appearance of your midface much?

Have you noticed any affect on your nasal breathing?

What does down fracture mean?

Questions, questions, questions... ::)

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 11:04:42 PM »
How far forward was your maxilla moved? As for "high", how much higher than the base of your nose? (That's  the normal level, AFAIK).

Mark32

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 08:28:56 AM »
Plosko, if the maxilla runs up to the base of your nose is advancing it a risk if you already have quite a turned up nose? Could it make that sort of nose shape even more pronounced?

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 10:49:17 AM »
Plosko, if the maxilla runs up to the base of your nose is advancing it a risk if you already have quite a turned up nose? Could it make that sort of nose shape even more pronounced?

Yes the tip of the nose can upturn. My nose was already angled up a little, not a ton, but it did upturn after surgery. It is mostly from swelling though and my nostrals are already starting to get less flared and swollen

PloskoPlus

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 07:55:54 PM »

Look up Anterior Nasal Spine reduction and Alar Cinch.  Somewhere here I posted a picture of too much ANS as well. Somewhere in the reference section I posted a whole free online textbook as well.