Author Topic: Anyone get jaw surgery with nocturnal bruxism?  (Read 1935 times)

molestrip

• Private
Anyone get jaw surgery with nocturnal bruxism?
« on: August 26, 2014, 11:17:06 PM »
Has anyone here had surgery who had nocturnal burxism (grinding and/or clenching)? What was your experience like post surgery with the condition?

PloskoPlus

Re: Anyone get jaw surgery with nocturnal bruxism?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 12:00:37 AM »
Has anyone here had surgery who had nocturnal burxism (grinding and/or clenching)? What was your experience like post surgery with the condition?

Yet to have surgery, but my ortho told me I clench 2 months after I started treatment. Apparently it was preventing some of the teeth from moving, so I've been sleeping with a splint ever since.

Mark32

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 04:59:38 PM »
I've always wondered about this. Could the pressure from bruxism cause some sort of relapse? I don't know that much about how surgery pans out but when the bones are joining together in their new positions wouldn't the sustained force from grinding be unhelpful?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 11:06:05 PM »
I've always wondered about this. Could the pressure from bruxism cause some sort of relapse? I don't know that much about how surgery pans out but when the bones are joining together in their new positions wouldn't the sustained force from grinding be unhelpful?

Well you just got me worried now.  Never thought of it before in those terms.  Will ask my surgeon when I see him next.

Mark32

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 08:13:43 AM »
oh dear, hope I haven't caused you to panic. but won't you have some sort of splint in after the surgery as well? on that, how does the splint work, is it just like a sort of wedge that separates your teeth?

I wonder if there was any risk of relapse from grinding would it more likely be in the vertical direction. you know if surgery involved the maxilla and it was moved downwards in some way

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 04:51:59 PM »
My surgeon told me that the muscles are cut in surgery so bruxism isn't an issue. I just wanted to hear from someone who went through it. The splint only protects teeth and wouldn't help with pressure from clenching. After union, clenching should actually help the bone heal more quickly, assuming it doesn't break it of course. I'm also curious to know if anyone has used LIPUS to speed up recovery. I've seen a few studies using the Exogen system but no anecdotal reports.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 06:44:13 AM »
oh dear, hope I haven't caused you to panic. but won't you have some sort of splint in after the surgery as well? on that, how does the splint work, is it just like a sort of wedge that separates your teeth?

I wonder if there was any risk of relapse from grinding would it more likely be in the vertical direction. you know if surgery involved the maxilla and it was moved downwards in some way

OK: weaker elastics and muscle relaxants.

Mark32

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 07:52:14 AM »
is that approach of weaker elastics and muscle relaxants universal across the profession or is it just specific to your surgeon? if they're doing this they must have some concerns about the effects of bruxism. :-\

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 01:54:26 PM »
It's what he said.

No idea if it's the standard approach.