Author Topic: Is Impaction for Maxillary Cant crazy??  (Read 1445 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Is Impaction for Maxillary Cant crazy??
« on: August 31, 2014, 10:48:32 PM »
Cliffs:

Would a Le Fort I be worth it if its only purpose was to impact one side and fix a maxillary cant?

--

Right now I'm waiting for my face to face consult with my surgeon to determine an exact surgical plan. A lot of it hinges on whether or a not a Le Fort I will be necessary. Regardless, one thing that I KNOW is a problem is my maxillary cant.

If someone posted here with a small cant and asked if they should get impaction done to correct it I'd naturally say it's unnecessary. In my case since I'm going to be having an operation no matter what I'm left asking myself if I should insist this issue is properly dealt with while I'm at it.

TADs are a sub-optimal way of address canting - which is a skeletal issue in my case. All impacting teeth will do is improve the occlusion without correcting lip canting (a moderate concern of mine). I know the correction of this isn't a given with surgery either, but I feel I should give it a go while I'm at it.

What is everyone's opinion?

When I asked one surgeon this question some time ago his response was very straightforward: One should always opt for a Le Fort if possible as its results are predictable and stable. Long-term stability of TADs is unknown and fails to address the skeletal issue.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

PloskoPlus

Re: Is Impaction for Maxillary Cant crazy??
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:25:34 PM »
How noticeable is it? To others?

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:13:09 AM »
How noticeable is it? To others?

I've had a couple people comment on it before. I suppose in-motion it wouldn't be noticable. In photos it can be seen quite clearly.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 02:19:12 AM »
I've had a couple people comment on it before. I suppose in-motion it wouldn't be noticable. In photos it can be seen quite clearly.

Usually people are blind to these things. (But my pet theory is that they notice it subconsciously and it just forms a part of their gestalt of you).  You should try to fix it then if its possible.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 04:32:05 AM »
my opinion is - if you can afford it - to fix it. chin wing improves symmetry amongst other things, so if the lower border of the face improves in that regard, the eye could be drawn to the cant more than before the operation.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 04:37:34 AM »
I think you'll regret not attempting to correct it if you're going to have surgery either way. What is the main procedure that you're looking to have? Chin wing?

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 08:53:38 AM »
Thank you for the responses everyone. I expected people to say the exact opposite.

If he is willing to do it then I'll go for it.