Author Topic: I need help deciding if surgery is for me (pictures included)  (Read 1877 times)

Jaw Jaw Binks

I need help deciding if surgery is for me (pictures included)
« on: September 07, 2014, 09:22:46 PM »
Hi there, 18 year old guy here. I think that constant allergies (to dust mites, dust and mold) growing up have severely weakened my chin and given me long face syndrome (caused by mouth breathing, which I have done almost exclusively for a very long time). I have been looking at before/ after pictures of many jaw surgery patients and while they give me hope, they make me wonder if surgery would help me (I have no mechanical issue). I have a few questions about jaw surgery, which if helpful I would want to have done as soon as I can. You are certainly (and rightly) wondering why I am thinking about a surgery that doesn't correct a mechanical issue. Let me explain my thoughts. It's because I feel that if it could really improve my life. I hate the way my face looks (mostly profile), and I think about it almost every day. As you can imagine, this has made my self-esteem extremely low, and simple interactions have become fairly hard. I avoid being in pictures and looking at pictures of myself at all costs, especially ones that are from any angle other than straight ahead. For the same reason, when passing mirrors or reflective material I never look at my reflection. If I do, I become pretty upset. Even when I’m enjoying myself with friends, I sometimes fade into 3rd person view and think about how they are seeing me (how the way I picture myself is different from the reality), and then have less fun. Taking these pictures was very hard; I put it off for almost a year. These are my questions.
1.   Do I have long face syndrome?
2.   Could/would surgery help my side profile (considering I have no mechanical issues).
3.   Is there a chance of permanent nerve damage?
4.   Could there be any problems that pop up years down the road?
Thank you so much for reading this far. I would be extremely grateful for any input or opinions.
Pictures below:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tiny

• Private
Re: I need help deciding if surgery is for me (pictures included)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:58:23 AM »
You look normal.  Very minor recession.  Face does not look especially long and smile is nice

Yyes

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 07:13:40 PM »
What's the difference between chin wing and sliding genioplasty?

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 08:05:28 PM »
chin wing involves more of the mandible to make a more natural look. It costs more, yields usually better results, is more expensive, has only been around for a few years, and far less surgeons are trained in doing them.

Yyes

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 05:52:23 AM »
chin wing involves more of the mandible to make a more natural look. It costs more, yields usually better results, is more expensive, has only been around for a few years, and far less surgeons are trained in doing them.

Any recommendations on doctors that do that procedure?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »
Any recommendations on doctors that do that procedure?

Don't think anyone in the states does the chin wing.

Jaw Jaw Binks

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:25:06 PM »
Thanks for the answers! If you don't recommend surgery, would chin augmentation/implants be beneficial?

OrthodontistExpert

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 05:06:17 PM »
It's really prone to subjective analysis when you only look at photos of your face.

Why not try this as a way of assessing your face and teeth and bite and profile and airway?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qXXzkfvZqds&list=PLjC4hIwmyQfg86KczdxxnfSJHuoVi62AH