Author Topic: Sports risks after jaw surgery  (Read 18392 times)

FaceDay

Sports risks after jaw surgery
« on: September 09, 2014, 11:41:43 PM »
Obviously sports during the recovery period is out of the question, however I'm curious about any lingering fragileness that would limit your ability play sports in the long term. Let's assume Lefort I + BSSO as a model jaw surgery. Will the upper jaw fracture make it significantly easier to break your face again? Is there a danger of popping something out of place while lifting several times your bodyweight? Would you have to give up boxing or martial arts? List things you can't do after jaw surgery even when fully recovered.

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: Sports risks after jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 12:58:50 AM »
Obviously sports during the recovery period is out of the question, however I'm curious about any lingering fragileness that would limit your ability play sports in the long term. Let's assume Lefort I + BSSO as a model jaw surgery. Will the upper jaw fracture make it significantly easier to break your face again? Is there a danger of popping something out of place while lifting several times your bodyweight? Would you have to give up boxing or martial arts? List things you can't do after jaw surgery even when fully recovered.

I too wondered about martial arts. Anyone know?
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 01:05:16 AM »
what about chin wing and zygomatic osteotomy?
I play european football at a semi pro level. When could i play again? cheers

Not for at least a year according to Sean.

Not sure how that will go for you then...
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 04:53:11 AM »
Jesus christ.
I am willing to wait one year if the doctor says its really important, however i believe I have a margin to shorten that time.

Do you think 3 months is feasible?
I would train as hell in these 3 months without ball, i think I could improve my condition and take the time to do some physio for my knee. I

I will email my dr and let you know

One surgeon I consulted said a football player he operated on wa back on the field in 8 or 12 weeks (forget the exact number exactly).  This was orthognathic surgery.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 11:24:14 AM »
Regardless of whether a bone was fractured playing sports (or whatever), or by a surgical cut (osteotomy) it should heal to be as strong as it was prior to the break. In an otherwise healthy individual, there shouldn't be any lingering issue or restrictions. Obviously, consult your surgeon!

I have no idea about a time frame, though. I'm also not sure if the screws and plates in your face come into play. I don't really see how they would, but I don't know for sure.

ticktickatick

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 03:24:49 PM »
I have heard that at 10 weeks post-op your jaw is as "strong" as it's going to get. Not that you won't still be in pain, have swelling, can't eat etc. but that the risk from impact isn't going to reduce anymore after 10 weeks.

I would not have been physically up for contact sports at 10 weeks anyway, I got tired so quickly still.

Mark32

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 03:44:48 PM »
would the screws in your jaw bone be week spots? but, that aside, isn't a bone that's been broken and healed stronger than it was before? isn't there a slight thickening of the bone at the fracture/cut point?

LoveofScotch

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 06:10:58 PM »
Not sure about the screws and plates being weak spots. I don't know why they would be, but that's beyond my knowledge base.

Yes, often bones do heal to be essentially stronger than they were prior to a break.  I believe that thought process applies to bones that were broken "normally," not from surgical cuts (I don't know if that would matter or not, but I don't see why it would). Also, I think it's important to remember, if your mandible is cut and moved for jaw surgery (for example) the osteotomy sites may heal to be marginally stronger than they were prior, but your whole mandible will NOT be stronger. This is also only applicable to the normal, healthy person (tons of stuff can f**k with bone remodeling).

Yep, if a person fractures a bone, there is often additional calcium deposited at the break (sometimes visible, if only temporarily, on an X-ray, MRI or CT). 

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 08:05:22 PM »
Not sure about the screws and plates being weak spots. I don't know why they would be, but that's beyond my knowledge base.

Yes, often bones do heal to be essentially stronger than they were prior to a break.  I believe that thought process applies to bones that were broken "normally," not from surgical cuts (I don't know if that would matter or not, but I don't see why it would). Also, I think it's important to remember, if your mandible is cut and moved for jaw surgery (for example) the osteotomy sites may heal to be marginally stronger than they were prior, but your whole mandible will NOT be stronger. This is also only applicable to the normal, healthy person (tons of stuff can f**k with bone remodeling).

Yep, if a person fractures a bone, there is often additional calcium deposited at the break (sometimes visible, if only temporarily, on an X-ray, MRI or CT).

So if one year post-op I get all the screws removed my jaw will forever be weaker than it is now?

And can you explain why the whole mandible would be weaker, even if the cut site is stronger?

LoveofScotch

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »
Nope, regardless of if you pull your plates/screws, your jaw shouldn't be weaker than it is now.

Using the mandible as an example, the osteotomy sites may potentially heal to be more dense than they would have been sans osteotomy/cut. And it's not that the rest of your mandible will be left weaker, it's just that it's not going to be any stronger/more dense.

Osteotomy site and/or place of bone fracture = potentially more dense.
The rest of the surrounding bone = your prior bone density.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 08:43:13 PM »
Nope, regardless of if you pull your plates/screws, your jaw shouldn't be weaker than it is now.

Using the mandible as an example, the osteotomy sites may potentially heal to be more dense than they would have been sans osteotomy/cut. And it's not that the rest of your mandible will be left weaker, it's just that it's not going to be any stronger/more dense.

Osteotomy site and/or place of bone fracture = potentially more dense.
The rest of the surrounding bone = your prior bone density.

I see, that makes sense.

So really martial arts, sport, all that shouldn't be a problem at all once everything's fully healed.

I wonder what about a ZSO since that uses a block between the bone in most cases. According to Triaca this isn't always necessary however.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 09:05:14 PM »
I forgot to mention the HA paste that some surgeons seem to favor. I certainly don't know for sure, but I would personally be more concerned if that took a direct, forceful hit.

I don't know anything about using a block between the bone for a ZSO.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 09:32:03 PM »
I forgot to mention the HA paste that some surgeons seem to favor. I certainly don't know for sure, but I would personally be more concerned if that took a direct, forceful hit.

I don't know anything about using a block between the bone for a ZSO.

Yea I was reading up on how a lot of that stuff has a way higher risk of shattering due to lack of collagen.

Even though I doubt it'll be used on me, I think Triaca is onto something with Bio-Oss in membranes. Then again, Tiny was saying how wherever there is bone ingrowth there will be some collagen which could make it better.

FaceDay

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 10:37:04 PM »
Okay, we can expect the bone to fuse just as strong as the former tissue or stronger, but what about the fact that your maxilla is now in two pieces with your upper jaw hanging out like a shelf? I have to imagine the shape is not as good for absorbing a blow. Then again, if people were ending up with glass faces after jaw surgery we'd probably be hearing the complaints.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 11:17:59 PM »
Okay, we can expect the bone to fuse just as strong as the former tissue or stronger, but what about the fact that your maxilla is now in two pieces with your upper jaw hanging out like a shelf? I have to imagine the shape is not as good for absorbing a blow. Then again, if people were ending up with glass faces after jaw surgery we'd probably be hearing the complaints.

Isn't that purpose of mineral grafting/bio oss/bone grafting? It smoothes out the edges to avoid just that