Author Topic: just genioplasty to solve lip incompetence?  (Read 5945 times)

Anna5

just genioplasty to solve lip incompetence?
« on: September 12, 2014, 10:05:04 AM »
Hello!

I am Anna and my surgeon suggested I may benefit from genioplasty (without any other jaw surgery), to help my (mostly lower) lip incompetence. Anyone here who can comment on this/ had just genioplasty to solve lip incompetence? Did it work?
And how long is the recovery time? (I have a young child to care for, so hopefully not too long....).
Thanks in advance for your input!

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: just genioplasty to solve lip incompetence?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 09:04:29 PM »
Can you please post photos of your jaw front on and in profile?

Sure a genioplasty might fix lip incompetence but the result could look like crap. I think we can give better advice if we can get an idea for what the rest of the lower-third of your face looks like.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Anna5

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 12:13:06 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I am happy to hear that a genio might fix lip incompetence. I think I must trust the surgeon that the result will be good...
I am sorry but I prefer not to post pictures of my profile, I feel a bit too shy/ self conscious to do this....

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:26:50 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I am happy to hear that a genio might fix lip incompetence. I think I must trust the surgeon that the result will be good...
I am sorry but I prefer not to post pictures of my profile, I feel a bit too shy/ self conscious to do this....

Well, you'll have to look this up then, but a sliding genioplasty does NOT affect the sublabial region. So if your jaw is recessed, or chin recessed to a large degree you'll get a pointy looking chin as the groove between the boney part that protrudes and the lower lip will be quite deep.

So if the intention is to cover up recessed jaws instead of getting a BSSO this would be something to consider.

Alternatively you can try and find a surgeon who'll combine it with a chin visor osteotomy.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Anna5

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 08:16:36 AM »
Thanks! I will definitely address this concern with my surgeon. I definitely don't want a pointy witchy chin!

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 10:38:32 PM »
Thanks! I will definitely address this concern with my surgeon. I definitely don't want a pointy witchy chin!

Remember if your surgeon doesn't offer a chin visor there's a good chance he'll flat out lie and say it won't be bad or something.

The best thing you can do is have a morph of your face done. Then you can better appreciate what a sliding genio on its own vs sg and chin visor can achieve.

Mark32

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 02:23:52 PM »
does a genioplasty lengthen the lower face? or can they slide the chin forwards with a completely horizontal cut?

is there a way that they can give someone a more projecting chin but also reduce the vertical height of the lower jaw?

Quote from: Disillusioned
...you'll get a pointy looking chin as the groove between the boney part that protrudes and the lower lip will be quite deep.
when you say a pointy chin do you mean anteriorly and not downwards? but, if it's the former, isn't a jutting chin and a nice groove below the lower lip a sort of desirable look?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 07:27:17 PM »
They can do pretty much everything with genioplasty (longer/shorter front-on/in-profile, etc).  The biggest problem is a step off the mandible when the genio is large.

Mark32

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 11:25:58 AM »
is the step off the mandible a problem because it creates a sort of weak spot in the jaw that could be damaged in a blow to the face? or is it because of some undesirable aesthetic outcome? ???

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 02:11:46 PM »
Aesthetic.