Author Topic: What is the best way to approach a work-up/pre-op consult?  (Read 1841 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
What is the best way to approach a work-up/pre-op consult?
« on: September 17, 2014, 08:30:33 PM »
I have a very specific idea of how I'd like things to be with my operation, and have created several morphs of my face to highlight this, edits of surgical procedures, and downloaded a few other relevant images to demonstrate what I mean. I should stress with this that I am still realistic and open to suggestions plus the reality of whether something is or isn't at all possible.

I worry that if I go on there with a big list of things I want to cover off on, show photos, morphs, all that, that he might get dismissive. I know many doctors feel only their way is right.

Finally, as I've only ever had a casual consultation with surgeons before - never a work-up - should the surgeon be taking notes? If he isn't should I ask him too? Because clearly if he isn't taking notes there is no way he'll remember what I'm asking of him.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Gregor Samsa

Re: What is the best way to approach a work-up/pre-op consult?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:56:04 AM »
Write down a checklist of what you want to discuss and bring it with you. I really regret not writing down everything I talked to Mommaerts about (although I did send him a lot of e-mails) because it seems that he completely forgot about most of what we discussed when it came to the actual surgery. As long as you explain that you're doing it to get the right expectations from the surgery then I can't see how the surgeon would object to any of this since having the right expectations is for his benefit as well.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 04:23:29 AM »
Write down a checklist of what you want to discuss and bring it with you. I really regret not writing down everything I talked to Mommaerts about (although I did send him a lot of e-mails) because it seems that he completely forgot about most of what we discussed when it came to the actual surgery. As long as you explain that you're doing it to get the right expectations from the surgery then I can't see how the surgeon would object to any of this since having the right expectations is for his benefit as well.

Was Mommaerts taking notes of what you were saying during the consult in order to plan the surgery?
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 05:29:38 AM »
No.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 08:01:52 AM »
No.

That's honestly a nightmare. I think I remember reading about your story with MM. It's been one of my biggest fears - going over with the surgeon in painstaking detail the hopes I have for the operation, only to have it completely ignored when I go under the knife.

If during my work-up I don't see notes being taken I'll 100% say something. I've paid too much money for someone with a God complex to do whatever they please to my face. Besides, if even I have a hard time remembering all my questions and concerns how is he supposed to recall them all from just one conversation and a few e-mails?

OrthodontistExpert

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »
You can get 3D scans done of your face and jaws anywhere in the world. The data is then used by a technician to create a technical digital volume.

It's all done online from anywhere in the world.

The local surgeon or orthodontist in your town can then operate to the computer, all before braces are put on. The viewing software is free.

I personally pay the technician to do this, before I provide my own orthodontic consultations. I use these people...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLjC4hIwmyQfg86KczdxxnfSJHuoVi62AH&v=NZkemshacOE

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 12:42:09 AM »
You can get 3D scans done of your face and jaws anywhere in the world. The data is then used by a technician to create a technical digital volume.

It's all done online from anywhere in the world.

The local surgeon or orthodontist in your town can then operate to the computer, all before braces are put on. The viewing software is free.

I personally pay the technician to do this, before I provide my own orthodontic consultations. I use these people...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLjC4hIwmyQfg86KczdxxnfSJHuoVi62AH&v=NZkemshacOE

Yea I already did that. It was necessary to locate the nerve along the mandible.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 03:35:10 AM »
Have you had surgery yet, Optimistic?