Author Topic: I am not sure what to do!  (Read 5648 times)

jawbreakerbeach

Re: I am not sure what to do!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 12:16:24 AM »
Another though I have had is the braces are the longest part of the whole process.  Why can't they just perform the surgery without braces - If my teeth are not that crooked how bad can it be.  It almost make me think its a money making machine.  Everywhere I look no matter how good a persons teeth are - they want them to have braces.  Sorry for the whole conspiracy theory rant.
Of the whole process and procedure what was the worst and best part of the process for you all?
Thanks again,
Joe

I have had heard of jaw surgeries being performed without braces but it's pretty rare.

It's not a conspiracy at least for surgical patients. Surgeons don't get paid when you get braces, but it is the surgeons insisting on braces so that they can align the jaw properly. I'm sure if they could do surgeries as well without braces they would, but they can't.

At your age I think an underbite is worth treating. If you were an overbite I'd probably say it wasn't worth the time / money / risks.

Just remember that all surgeries come with a risk of numbness. I'm still young-ish and ended up with complete numbness of my lower lip and upper chin. Can't feel a thing. You have to decide if not feeling part of your face is worth fixing the underbite. Every surgeon tells you a different statistic, but I've heard that it's about equal to your age. If you're 30 then you have a 30% chance of some permanent numbness.

By the way, though, I would kill to have only paid $3000 for surgery. I didn't know prices like that still existed even on insurance.

The recovery for orthognathic surgery is hell. Some women say it is worse than childbirth.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 12:41:35 AM »
I have had heard of jaw surgeries being performed without braces but it's pretty rare.

It's not a conspiracy at least for surgical patients. Surgeons don't get paid when you get braces, but it is the surgeons insisting on braces so that they can align the jaw properly. I'm sure if they could do surgeries as well without braces they would, but they can't.

At your age I think an underbite is worth treating. If you were an overbite I'd probably say it wasn't worth the time / money / risks.

Just remember that all surgeries come with a risk of numbness. I'm still young-ish and ended up with complete numbness of my lower lip and upper chin. Can't feel a thing. You have to decide if not feeling part of your face is worth fixing the underbite. Every surgeon tells you a different statistic, but I've heard that it's about equal to your age. If you're 30 then you have a 30% chance of some permanent numbness.

By the way, though, I would kill to have only paid $3000 for surgery. I didn't know prices like that still existed even on insurance.

The recovery for orthognathic surgery is hell. Some women say it is worse than childbirth.

Jesus, so many different reports on all this s**t. You're saying recover is hell, plosko or someone said it was a walk in the park. Most surgeons say you'll be back to work in 2 weeks. I know the first 24 hours are unpleasant and uncomfortable, but after that things are supposed to get better at around day 3. Maybe it's just a your mileage may very situation.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 01:30:35 AM »
Jesus, so many different reports on all this s**t. You're saying recover is hell, plosko or someone said it was a walk in the park. Most surgeons say you'll be back to work in 2 weeks. I know the first 24 hours are unpleasant and uncomfortable, but after that things are supposed to get better at around day 3. Maybe it's just a your mileage may very situation.

I only had upper jaw advancement (and narrowing).  Upper lip is still kinda stiff but the feeling is back.  But it's true, it has not been dramatic at all. I lost no weight. My energy levels were at the preop levels after 3 weeks.  It's uncanny that everything transpired pretty much like my surgeon said.

jmp62575

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 08:03:45 AM »
Yes the 3k is pretty much an upfront cost.  They then have to submit it to the insurance company to see if they will cover the procedure.  They claim it is always covered.  Imagine if it wasn't though - the 3k is out the window unless I want to mortgage my house.