Author Topic: Dr Alfaro in Spain  (Read 12869 times)

Gregor Samsa

Re: Dr Alfaro in Spain
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 04:55:07 AM »
Pelo can take weeks to answer even basic questions so don't count him out just yet.

Rico

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 07:32:41 AM »
I don't - he is probably one of my best option I can afford, however its too early to say that.

He  used to answer within 2-3 days, but at this point I can't push. 7 questions. He need a more free time to answer. I'll give him 2 weeks, then I remind myself one time.

Prof O. answered me once  and no more... when I told him that the fracture was 2.5y ago. I think he don't like "hard" / "complicated" cases
So every surgeon with good opinions who tell me "I think, I am able....." is very important to me, however "I think, I am able.." its just a half-way
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:57:17 AM by xdon82 »

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 08:09:38 AM »
Alfaro is s**t. It's funny you even consider him as he stopped doing malar osteotomies a while ago because of supposed relapse - something which baffled Mommaerts. He only offers implants now AFAIK. I doubt he's your guy for what you need.

Besides, the staff don't even speak English despite an English language website. I did consult with him and never got a response back, e-mail, nothing. Everything ignored. His surgical plan sucked anyway so I let it slide.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Rico

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »
I have given he some very precious inputs about S. Pelo, Obwegeser who indeed are also trauma surgeon and craniofacial surgeons

I just realised, All max fac surgeons I've met in Poland has specialization in  trauma and craniofacial surgery. That made me sad and reduce my chance to find a proper surgeon.
So I'm waiting... but i'm worried
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:58:38 PM by xdon82 »

Langpam

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »
Two weeks ago I had surgery with Dr Hernández Alfaro. An amazing surgeon. I am one of the older people on this site and had bimaxillary jaw surgery with genioplasty to cure my sleep apnoea.
I am English and not only is his English amazing but after the Skype appointment. (150 euros) I had so much detail and understanding of what he could do and his minimally invasive methodology, using 3D cone beam planning, meant that he could perform this surgery in less than two hours. I had consulted three other people who were all going to take five hours, due to their 2D planning.
My swelling has gone completely, my look is fantastic. I am 61 and now look like I'm in my forties, according to lots of people. But the main thing is I no longer have to be attached to a CPAP machine at night.
Dr Hernández Alfaro is my hero

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 02:56:42 PM »
Do you have any before/after pictures? Your post sounds like an advertisement for him.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »
You'd still have a ton of swelling after only 2 weeks. It takes 9-12 months to dissipate completely.  But if you had both jaws advanced, you should still look younger at the end of it. 

Rico

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 06:03:54 PM »
Do you have any before/after pictures? Your post sounds like an advertisement for him.

I thought the same :)

Langpam

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 11:42:12 PM »
I'm a 61 year old retired English lady. I have no interest in "advertising" for him. It was expensive, but actually in the end cheaper than the other three (London, Zürich and Marbella) because the time in hospital was only ONE night. As soon as I can work out how to upload my before and after photos I shall.
And the swelling and bruising HAVE gone. I am having trouble talking but that is due to the fact that I am wearing Invisalign braces and am banded. I was a candidate for his Post Surgery orthodontics, which was perfect for me, since I wanted the operation for my airways and didn't want to wait another 18 months.
I could be flexible with my choice of location since I live in the Malaga area for six months of the year and only required a short flight to Barcelona.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 12:32:58 AM »
I believe you, though I think you're mistaken about the swelling.  Fancy planning software, piezoelectric saws are all well and good, but when bones move, the tissue swells.  It's unavoidable.  Some swell more than others, but everybody does.  Most of the obvious swelling is indeed gone after a couple of weeks, but the face does not take its final shape for up to a year afterwards.

Langpam

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 01:35:13 AM »
I guess you're right about the fact that there is still some swelling, but because it is so much better I feel as though it has gone. The bruising disappeared altogether. Very happy with my profile and my ability to sleep without CPAP is just fantastic

Rico

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 08:48:07 AM »
Langpam: So if everything is OK, why You started to looking at the maxfac forums ? What happened ?

Langpam

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 09:15:17 AM »
Rico, not a good idea to jump to conclusions.
I started looking at the forum before my first consultation which was in June in London.
I only posted for the first time this week in order to share my experience

Rico

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 09:27:38 AM »
I only posted for the first time this week in order to share my experience

That's good. It is heplful for others, so It wasn't conclusion :) , I only was curious about that.

I see Your status - registered before surgery.

Do You have any numbness ?

and how You chose him ?  In Europe there is few other surgeons who offers good prices and are very skilled - some in Germany, one in Belgium (but not MM)
Perhaps the possibility to consultation via Skype ? :)  This is very rare option in mxfac surgeons world

Can You tell me the exact price in PM ? 

Langpam

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 09:44:10 AM »
I am two weeks post op. I had a 12mm advancement. I have numbness in my lower lip and chin, but I feel tingly sensations there.

I had done all the research and knew exactly what I wanted. As I said, he was the fourth European consultation and actually the best. He had a copy of my cephalogram and I also sent him dental impressions, before he decided whether I was a candidate for Surgery First. Skype suited me as a communication method.

I have read other reviews which refer to the "conveyor belt system" and being seen by rookies.
This was most certainly NOT my experience. There is excellent teM work at the Institute and Dr Hernández Alfaro was attentive, gentle, empathic and highly professional.