Author Topic: Advice for people wanting midface surgery  (Read 17316 times)

earl25

Advice for people wanting midface surgery
« on: December 09, 2014, 07:01:27 PM »
Whether it be jaw+midface or just malar or just  orbital rim whatever, I think members her need to band together and do a "manhatten project" styl coordinated  search for doctors  who will do this surgery It took me a year and a half to find a doctor willing to do the surgery. Most told me no way, others said yes by email then when I got there they said your deficiency isn't so bad why not try fat or filler.  what I did was literally look u maxfax and cranio docs state by state (im in usa, research paper by research paper and either cold emailed or called them asing. If they said yes then I asked to send in photos and a ct scan for review. then I agreed to go in person. I think members here need to stop fighting about what the procedure is called, stop making posts like its a given you will get this surgery and actually take some action in finding doctors. I know how hard it is. Im also the only one I believe who had this surgery on the board (lefort iii with no jaw movement).

these surgeries are rare. most docs don't do them. most prefer filler, fat or implants. The ones who do normally only do it on extreme syndrome cases. Talking like its a given that you will have this surgery is like saying when I become a amous actor, or when I make the nba. its not so easy

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Advice for people wanting midface surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 07:32:13 PM »
here here.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
I don't understand why it's not more common.  People fracture their eye sockets all the time.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 06:06:53 PM »
I like this idea.  I have spoken with a number of surgeons that suggested a high lefort I, but I'm not sure if that is considered midface surgery.  It's kind of half midface surgery. 

jiliangjiliang

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 05:57:16 AM »
there are plenty of korean plasty surgeons in korea who do midface surgery, actually the whole face, every day. they can totally change a face shape, actually a person's look that his/her parents can't even recognize. and almost all people post surgery in korea have a the same face. it just seems like they share the same parents.
you can find some japanese surgeons in japan who do face bone surgeries too. and i think they are better than korean surgeons. at least persons who have their face surgery done in japan don't look like each other.
i think surgeries  that change bone structure should be the less the better, because it can fasten face aging process. there are plenty of korean actors and actresses who are experiencing fast aging problem now. they are just in early thirties, but their faces look really weir. chinese and japanese actors and actresses don't have this problem.

earl25

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 03:22:37 PM »
i did email korean surgeries. they said they only do reductions not advancement

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 03:44:52 PM »
i did email korean surgeries. they said they only do reductions not advancement
Bingo!

Rico

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:38:45 PM »
Earl25 please help. Since midface surgery like modified LF3 or typical malar repositioniong are rare, did you surgeon show you before/after photos of previous patients who underwent the same procedure ?
I found surgeons who can do malar bone reposition , but one of them is not able to show me examples and do not know If I should rule him out or not... Should I demand such examples ?  What was your approach , when I were looking for a proper surgeon ?

Does modified LF3 has risk of diploplia or enopthatlmos ?
Did you need orbital floor augumentation ?

Please answer. It's very important.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:58:23 PM by Rico :) »

earl25

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 07:01:48 PM »
no , I did not see before and afters from my surgeon.
I cant tell you to rule them out or not, that's up to you, but I will say I don't think you will be able to find a surgeon who can show you several before and after other than what was posted n this board, at best you'll get a few syndrome case examples.
my approach was
1) emails surgeon asking if he did lefort ii or iii
2) if yes, asked if I can send photos and conebeam
3)after review I asked if I can come in person
4)searched pubmed and online to verify the dr. did the surgery before

I don't know what diploplia or enophatlmos is

what do you mean by orbital floor augmentation

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 11:07:21 PM »
earl25: Did the surgery you have with Sinn fix all the problems you had with the midface and orbital recession? I seem to recall you talking about wanting orbital decompression or something like that.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 11:14:01 PM »
Since midface surgery like modified LF3 or typical malar repositioniong are rare, did you surgeon show you before/after photos of previous patients who underwent the same procedure ?

The reason why surgeons can't show you before/after pictures is because there are patient data confidentiality laws in most countries. The surgeons in Germany seem to be allowed to show you before/after pictures while you're in their office, but in some countries like the UK then the surgeons are not allowed to share the pictures no matter what unless the patients have signed a consent form. Most patients do understandingly not want strangers to see their pictures so almost no one signs those.

The pictures of patients you see in research papers are from patients who most likely got the surgery for free on the condition that the surgeons were allowed to use the pictures.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 11:46:06 PM »

I don't know what diploplia or enophatlmos is

Double vision and eyeball displacement respectively.

Rico

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 06:10:26 AM »
Earl25: I do the same like you did, + 1 thing I want to see before / after
and one of them invite me to show me that before / after.

If you did not see any of his previous cases, so how were you sure, this surgeon had done some modified LF3 before ? I mean if he were enough skilled to do this ?
You just believed what he said ?
If you do not know anything about anopthalmos and diploplia, then it seems like even LF3 is more safe than whole malar reposition. :(

many surgeons show examples of their works on previous patients at least during consultation if they are really have something interesting on their credit.

The pictures of patients you see in research papers are from patients who most likely got the surgery for free on the condition that the surgeons were allowed to use the pictures.

eeee I also would like to have such option instead of paying a lot of Euros ;) No surgeon offered me this
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:39:29 PM by Rico :) »

earl25

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 09:05:58 AM »
earl25: Did the surgery you have with Sinn fix all the problems you had with the midface and orbital recession? I seem to recall you talking about wanting orbital decompression or something like that.

it fixed my orbital rim issue. I pretty much look like me just without recessed orbital rims. my eyes still bug out but that's because I have a slew of midface issues including the upper orbits being too small.

earl25

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 09:06:28 AM »
Double vision and eyeball displacement respectively.

double vision was mentioned, eyeball displacement wasnt